Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Avocados

LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

recently i purchased a couple avocados from giant eagle and figured that i would give them a try because i have heard so many good things about them.

I have to say i was dissapointed, i found the taste a bit bland. Does anyone else feel this way? Did i not eat it right or something? :)

Comments

• No! Never! Avocado POWER!!! I have met a few bad avocados in my days and that was because they were oxidized and overly ripe. Omg this post depressed me as avocados are my favorite thing in the entire world - nice older Men who know how to rub my feet are next in line...go figure. Whoops@#$! You had a bad experience, bad avocados!!!

A real, ripe avocado is creamy, nutty and will put you in complete europhia. I meditate with them, fruit meditation. Mmm

Don't settle for less. Buy organic avocados but know how to pick them and savor the flavor of pure bliss.

Oh and if you cut one open and can't use it all - leave the pit in the shell that is going to be put in the fridge. Always fridge it after. Sprinkle a little lemon on it to help with oxidation.

Pink TuTu Twirls,

Avocado Power Man

;)

• A perfect avocado will be evenly firm all the way around with the slightest give when you press it with your thumb. I always press the tip to see how much it gives. It should be easy to cut into with the most beautiful shade of green creamy flesh. I would recommend using them in salads first, a plain avocado on it's own for the first time might not be too exciting. Or sprinkle some nice sea salt (I used to have a "sea vegetable" seasoning that was awesome on avocados) and pepper on an avocado and eat it with a spoon. After you enjoy them gussied up a bit, you'll be able to enjoy them plain. Although I absolutely adore avocados and usually have one a day, I never eat them plain.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

okay ill have to give them another try then!

i did try them plain, but i figured i eat most of my veggies plain so why should this be different.

any tips on cutting an avocado?

i found it very hard to cut it neatly around the pit.

• i just cut it through the center until my knife hits the seed and then twist the sides of the avocado in opposite directions and it comes right off.

ill have to try that!

i dont even know what i was doing but i totally squashed the first avocado because i tried to cut all the way through the pit.

silly me. :)

• I've never eaten an avocado plain but I looooooove cutting them up into my salads or making guacamole *drool*

• I def recommend making some guacamole. avocados are amazing!! I love to put slices of them in my collard wraps, or in my sushi rolls, or to top salads, or to make creamy dressings. I never really eat them alone but love to use them in my dishes!

• How to cut open an avocado:

1. Holding a good knife in your dominant hand (the avocado in the other), make a longitudinal (lengthwise) slice, all the way to the pit, all the way around the avocado

2. twist the avocado apart, you will have 2 halves, one with the pit

3. Take your knife and carefully give the pit one swift hack, the knife will lodge into the pit, then you can knock it off the knife into your compost

4. depending on how you want to present the avocado, you can then slice the halves lengthwise into thin strips, cubes, or half-moons. It's easiest to keep the skin on, and slice through the meat without slicing the skin. Then you can invert the section of avocado to pop the pieces out or slide your knife under them to release.

Happy eating!

• I like avo's that are a bit more ripe than some... if they're a little mushy, they are great mashed with salt and lemon juice as a spread or veg topping. /They grow on you!!

• I also tried those big ones. I found the flavor a tad more fruity, and perhaps a little more bland. Unlike the little guys though, they give me headaches. :( So, no more of those. But I did enjoy them for different flavor reasons than their smaller counterparts.

Here's a video on cutting an avocado, though they forget to mention you can dice it in the peel as well as slice:

Good luck!

Thanks for all the tips guys!

Ill have to have my mom pick up some avocados tonight at the store.

• I can't really eat avocado's alone.

I like them mixed up in stuff. I usually use them if im craving mexican food really bad.

I take some plain organic yogurt, mush up a avocado into it, add a fresh diced priscilla pepper, lots of cumin, and a little salt. (sometimes some raw graded cheese instead of salt)

It's VERY GOOD.

• oh yeah & guacamole is really good.

avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper, onion, tomato, cumin, cilantro. mmmmmmm

Then i make raw "tortia" chips in the dehydrator using fresh corn as a base. SO good.

• I love cutting them open and putting a little bit of salad dressing in the hole where the pit used to be, and eating it with a fork. I LOVE avocados, and probably go through an average of 5 a week. yum!

that sounds amazingly yummy.

i might have to give that a try.

however i never really eat yogurt.

do you have a suggestion as to what i could substitute for that?

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Avocado, banana, cacao, agave nectar, dash of seasalt. Chocoate pudding! Blend all ingredients with enough water to move it. This has the taste and texture of Jell-O pudding (without the chemicals).

emilyjayne thanks for posting those they were really helpful.

alpdesigns i think im going to have to try that recipe :)

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Do you like grapefruit? If so, my aunt makes a very simple salad that is delicious. She peels and sections the grapefruit, adds sliced avocado a little salt and pepper and occassionally a drizzle of olive oil. It sounds strange, but is amazing.

• Megan Lyne, how do you make your tortilla chips?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Is there a way to make an avocado ripen faster? I've had an avocado sitting on my kitchen table for over a week and it's still hard as a rock.

• I love avocado. I just had one for lunch. I just mashed it with salt, pepper and lemon. Sometimes I slice them on salad, I make a creamy dressing for salad, (in a blender garlic, red onion, a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, depending on the consistency I will add a little water to thin it out some). If I want to get fancy I will fill the "hole" with hummus and salsa and eat it like that. The way I like them the best is sliced on a plate with heirloom tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Can you tell avocados are may favorite????

• I also had my 1st avocado ever, and dint really like it, though I am sure it will go well in salads..

if you are looking how to cleanly cut the avocado, just see 'avocado' in youtube, its really simple..

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

How to ripen an avocado:

* Put your avocados in a brown paper bag (or wrap them in newspaper) and keep them at room temperature.

* If you're in a hurry you can add an apple or a tomato to the bag.

* Store ripe avocados in the crisper of your refrigerator to extend their "life" a bit.

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

I put a rockmelon in a brown paper bag for a couple of days, just on the bench,and it was so yummy .

I think this is a great way of ripening.

okay so i tried avocados again last night and they were super yummy!

but are the supposed to be smushy a little bit after you take the skin off?

• ya they will be a little smooshy.

the more ripe the more the smoosh.

i love Avocados i could almost live off of them.. lol and i almost have at times.

after a spicy meal a great dessert or for a quick snack, some Avocados slices with a little salt and fresh lime squeezed on them

• I love eating ripe avocados plain.

They are good in salads, though. I mix them with sliced mango and squeeze lime juice over them.

avocados are high in raw fats too right?

if i wanted to make a yummy guacamole would i just cut it in half then toss it in my teeny food processor with some salt and pepper?

• Just a tip:)

To make avocados last longer after you get them ripe: Wrap them in aluminum foil, unopened and put in the refrigerator. This only works once it is ripe and can make it last a week to two weeks longer if not more (I never wait that long). Very nice for when you buy alot at once. Then just save the foil for the next batch. ;)