Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I think I need a buddy

susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

I was 100% raw for about 4 months (until Easter). I love being raw... I feel and look better, not to mention it's so delicious to eat fresh organic produce! I can't seem to get back on track with it since Easter, though, and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and needs a support system. My roommates are meat-eaters who think I am crazy, and my family owns an Angus cattle ranch so I really don't have anyone in my life to inspire me to stay raw. If you want a raw buddy, I want you!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

hey susan!! easter food wasn't too good to my body either, but i've been keeping up with raw for the past few days now. i might be living with roommates this fall for college and they aren't vegans or raw foodists either. i can't imagine having a cattle ranch!! it seems like a lot of work, especially if you don't agree with it. where are you from?? i'm in pennsylvania. i've been looking into training for a half marathon in order to stick with raw. i just want my body to be in top shape or i know it will be difficult for me to run. but just cheer up!! we can definitely be buddies :)

• beanbean Raw Newbie

ooh, a half marathon- what a great idea! I've always wanted to try one- that's 5 km, right? or is it 10? let me know how your training goes- I think there might be one in my hometown I could enter (I'm at school right now), if my knees hold up.

I'll definitely be a buddy, susan121! Half the fun of this site is having a bunch of people who know exactly what you're going through and can give support! Kudos to you! (And you too, joannabanana!)

*hugs*

• Susan -

Where are you from?

I am trying my hardest to eat 66% raw. I recently had to move back home with my parents. They are "meat and potatoes" folk, who think I am nuts, and that this is just a crazy, hippy phase, so I'm struggling a little too. I will definitely be a buddy! you can email me anytime at kellydawnreckas@gmail.com

Joanna -

I have been throwing around the idea of running a 5k. I know I can do it with some training, but it kind of scares me. I haven't been too physically active since I was 17. I'm 23 now. Good luck with your run!

• A half-marathon is 13.1 miles. I was training for one last year when I got my wisdom teeth removed. I didn't recover in time for the race, but I would like to try again. I hope you can find someone in your area to be a buddy! I don't know any other raw foodies besides myself and my fiance.

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

Oooh, a half marathon sounds awesome! Might try that after my high school graduation (4 weeks and three days left, WOOHOO!).

I know how you feel susan121. I'm the only fully raw vegan in my family right now. My dad is a hardcore carnivore, my brother is an ovolacto (sp?) vegan/vegetarian, and my mom is vegan who is trying to go raw but is having a hard time giving up cooked foods. I find the more I learn about the benefits of a high raw to 100% raw vegan diet the easier it is for me to psych myself into not giving into temptation. I would love to be one of you buddies though. So far I am the only raw vegan in my area. If you or anyone else on this thread would like to talk you can email me! :)

a4liberty@gmail.com

• Susan,

Don't get to down on yourself. It happens to the best of us. I just take it one day at a time and say "Today I am going to eat raw!" I agree that everyone needs a support system or you are likely to fail sometimes. Not sure the best way to be a support but I would think email; swehrlenz@gmail.com or some type of chat would be good. I live in Texas now and man it is meat country here!

As far as the running goes, I just ran the Disney Marathon on January 11th and it was amazing. You need to pack raw snacks and coconut water! You can visit runningraw.com for information on raw athletes. Something like that is that website. There is a raw meet up in Chicago that is going to run the Chicago marathon in October with raw snack throughout. Should be a blast.

Cheers

Sara

• Feel free to email me: dusky.at.dawn (at) gmail.com. I'm in my twenties, new to raw and pretty much alone in my family (although they support me, my friends think I'm a little strange).

My extended family is a long line of proud Midwest cattle farmers, even though my immediate family isn't in the business. I can only imagine it's tough to choose such a different path in that environment. (Speaking of ranching, I recommend Howard Lyman's book "Mad Cowboy: Straight Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat". It may help you feel better!)

• Another great book, also by Howard Lyman, is "No more bull! : the mad cowboy targets America's worst enemy, our diet". I got both books from the local library. How you can even want to eat beef after these books can only be attributed to our dumb bodies cravings or stupidity!!

• beanbean Raw Newbie

I'm the only one in my family too- my entire family thinks I've been brainwashed, I think... still, they seem to no longer eat as much meat as they did before. Maybe it's just having so much extra fresh stuff in the house? I know a lot of people won't go after it actively, but will eat it if it's there... if it's my fault, I'll take the blame!

Anyways, my email's roundthetwist96@hotmail.com

I'm 19, a student in Kelowna (moving back to the kootenays in a few weeks for the summer)... oh, I have msn if anyone would like to add me, as well. I'm on it quite a lot, and would love someone to talk to about this kind of thing. Does anyone else have msn?

• Hey Susan. Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My friends think I'm ridiculous, and I'm only high-raw (about 80-90%). If you're on Facebook, I'd be happy to friend you. My name is Jennifer Minar (Los Angeles network). There's a bunch of raw foodists on my friend's list.

Good luck! Oh, and I just finished the book 80/10/10. Very interesting book. Took a lot from it.

Best,

Jen

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

Thanks so much for all the support guys! I'll probably be emailing/checking in with all of you soon. I came home from work today to my roommates and friends pretty much having a pizza party in my living room .... it used to be easy for me to just have a smoothie or salad when they do this, but today I actually ate some. :(

Thank you to those who included email addresses, too.... you'll probably be hearing from me soon! And good luck to those of you training for/thinking about training for half-marathons!!!

• beanbean Raw Newbie

aw, don't feel too badly about it, susan121- tomorrow's another try, right? Plus, it's all just a process, it's not really something you can muck up completely with one little slide. Since we're in the mindset anyways- It's like running in a really long marathon, or some kind of race- if you stop for a second, it's not like a big hand reaches down and chucks you back to the start line. You just pick up where you left off. And yes, absolutely email me! I'd love to hear from you!

• beanbean Raw Newbie

Jennifer, I added you on facebook!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

jen, did you like the 80/10/10 book? i've been incorporating it into my life and i have to say it's harder than i thought. my body just craves more fat!! i don't know what to do. dr. graham acts like it's a no brainer to have only a handful of nuts twice a week.

susan, don't sweat it. food is just food. that's it. i think we make it out to be a sin if we stray from our normal diet and i think maybe it's a sign that we should change our everyday diet to better suit ourselves.

my email is jazzngym21@aol.com if you wanna talk. facebook: joanna schupp

might as well give my bloodtype, too haha but i don't know it!!!

: P

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

joannabana,

I just asked to be your friend on facebook!

Bean,

Saw your myspace page, loved the set up!

Susan121,

Like everyone is saying, don't beat yourself up about slipping. Just start fresh in the morning! I had the same experience earlier this year when I was first trying to go 100% raw. I went over to a friends house for a birthday slumber party and they had PIZZA. Needless to say I had a slice and felt terrible afterwards. But, I resolved to do better the next morning, and when breakfast came along I had some lovely fresh fruit and resisted the scent of the freshly made waffles! :) Stay strong 'cuz let me tell ya that you are doing WAY better than you think you are. :)

• beanbean Raw Newbie

I have a myspace page?

... *thinks* ... oh YEAH! I do, don't I?

Lol, I started that one a long time ago- thanks, though! - I do have a blog now, actually-

www.snarkinthelibrary.blogspot.com

but it's not really about raw anything, it's kind of more like me whining about university life and my daily activities- kind of online therapy for myself. If anyone reads it, please don't be offended (I do curse rather a lot sometimes, but the last time I did was 'cause a semi-truck almost smushed me on the highway, and I needed something properly aggravated-sounding to describe it...) ... but that's the page I currently spend the most time on!

- hang on, just checked my blog- hey joanna! *waves*

• Hi Susan/all

I'll be your buddy too! I'm loving my raw adventure but finding it desperately lonely, especially when things go wrong like I eat something I cant digest and feel crappy and low and want to go back to eating bread and curries all day because I think back and think I felt great all the time before going raw even though I know I didn't lol. I recently moved to a new place and don't really know anyone except my bf either so would love some like minded friends!!

Anyway enough whinging my email is maidenofthewell@hotmail.co.uk I'd love to get emails from anyone to support each other!

Not fully online yet but should be by the end of next week!

• I just added you, Jennifer and Joanna, on facebook. :)

• erinerin Raw Superstar

hey susan121! i know how you feel and I think most people on this site have been in your same situation too. I've always tended to be hard on myself when I bomb on eating right. I've recently heard and tried EFT (Emotion Freedom Training). It has really worked in helping me free eating from emotions and keep me from overeating and eating things I don't want to eat. It's basically a technique to help you control your emotions and your actions and I really think it could help you stop eating the things you don't want to eat. It is REALLY easy and can be done in just a few minutes with no special anything. Just you. There is an audio event going on right now called EFT world summit with different professionals talking about it. You can go to http://eftworldsummit.com/ and register for it for free. Also, go to http://www.mercola.com/forms/eftcourse1.htm for a hard copy of how to do EFT.

You can also email me anytime you need support or just want to talk or tell me about some pizza you resisted! I want everyone to feel wonderful and beautiful and I'm willing to help in anyway I can. Just remember that even if you mess up, you can always fix it. erinvolentine28@yahoo.com

Hope to hear from you soon! Erin

• Susan -

I've just made my way back to raw after a month 1/2 of binge-yo-yo-raw dieting. I was really wanting to get back to raw, but had been struggling. I found that writing everything down in a notebook started to help me. it motivated to eat better ( I started writing things down with my boyfriend, and at the end of the night we would show each other what we ate throughout the day, and talk about the emotions/cravings that connected us with those foods). Very soon afterwards, I found myself wanting less cooked food and more raw, because I didn't want to have to write down what I ate. That is the beauty in this technique, you cannot escape the truth?? Because why would you lie about what you ate on paper, even if you don't show anyone else?? What does that do for you?? Maybe try that for a while to see if it helps -- best of luck!

• susan- I'm completely in the same boat as you! I was doing so well with raw before and then Easter came and now I"m struggling!!!

I agree with Joannabanana that running/training for something motivates me to keep up the raw...the only problem is getting my lazy butt up and starting haha!

I also find it helpful to blog and follow other people's blogs that way people can comment on struggles you've had that day or whatever. You can make your own on blogger...it's pretty easy. Mine is: http://peaceandluvlife.blogspot.com/ I don't know, I think it's easier than keeping up with a huge long tread on here or something.

Anyway I'm doing a 5-day juice fast (because if that's not strong motivation, I'm not sure what else is) starting Sunday if anyone wants to do it with me!!!! :)

• susan121susan121 Raw Newbie

I had the opportunity to talk to a friend of mine, who put it all into perspective for me. We are here trying to better our lives and our health, and that already means a lot. Sure, we are going to slip up now and then, but props to us for holding ourselves accountable for our eating habits and our health. :)

Thank you so much, all of you, for responding and offering your help! Thanks for the facebook names, the blogs, the advice, and everything else you offered. I'm now back on track, and I would love to be there for anyone who needs any help at all! Feel free to add me to your facebook, Susan Davidson on the FSU network, or email me at susanc.davidson@gmail.com!

AND I will totally juice fast with you iluvlife! I normally juice fast one day a week, so I'm excited to see how 5 days will go. Are you starting another thread for the people who are doing it with you?

• No but I'll do that right now :)

• http://goneraw.com/forum/juice-fast

^^There is is for anyone who wants to join us :)