canned coconut milk

Ok, So I am sure that this would be too good to be true, but is canned organic coconut milk raw? I searched through the post, but was unable to find any info on the topic. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Hi lils,

I think although I have no facts to support this theory for coconut milk in particular, I think that most things that come in a can, bottle or container are pasteurized to stabilize the product and ensure no bacteria growth, so my guess would be no, it is not raw. :) take care and peace, Dea.

• lils- I think deasmiles is right – i read somewhere (although i cant remember either!) that per FDA regulations, anything jarred, bottled canned, etc.. must be pasteurized. at least, here in the States. not sure about other places.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

Anything in a can has preservatives and chemicals leaching from the tin… It’s not worth it. Sorry :c\

• Thanks so much! Guess I will just have to get over my fear of breaking open coconuts, ha.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Lils, coconuts are a pain to open, but the milk you get out of them is SO MUCH better than the canned. It is almost miraculous. The first time I made coconut cream from a mature coconut I was tempted to write an entire post about how wonderful it is. But I thought that might be a little dorky, even for me. :)

Definitely give it a try! It is time consuming, but it gets much easier with practice, and the results are SO worth it.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I’ve made homemade coconut milk/cream before and like Jenny said it’s WORTH IT! :-)