Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw nursing mothers outhere. i need help!

rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie
in Family

Hello ladies - i need help. As some of you know i completed a raw pregnancy 9 months ago. I've been breastfeeding my lil one and everything was going great but all of a sudden I started really not liking raw foods at all. it's like my body was sick and tired of everything raw. seeds, nuts, hard to digest veggies ect.

i still love greens and fruit.

anyways so i've started eating cooked food ~ Everynight!!!

im feeling pretty good, but i feel really bad, i want to give my guy the best start i can but i cant eat another pate and raw bread!

Do any of you incorperate cooked food in you diet also?

another thing was i got so skinny! i was 104 @ 5'2 when i got prego. after birth 90 and now 88!!! so thats another reason i started back on cooked food. i was eating lots of fat, greens and fruit. i dont understand .....

im still trying to have a green smoothie and a fresh veggie juice everyday along with fresh fruit, i feel like if i can just do that, it'll be ok

any advice?

Comments

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

bump! i really need advice - maybe i should just listen to my body and go with it?

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Sorry you're struggling right now. I am still nursing my 8 month old, and still high raw. But, I do imcorporate some brown rice and lightly steamed veggies from time to time as well. Did you try increasing your oil consumption. Sometimes when I feel like not eating raw it is because I realized I haven't been getting my omega's. When I make a real effort to add some oils back in to each meal (I usually use flax, hemp, coconut, and olive oils), then my body gets back to raw. With that said, everybody is different, so I would listen to what your body wants. Oh, another thing that works for me, is eating alot of seaweeds and algae. Also, don't beat yourself up over not being 100% raw all the time. 9 months is when body hormones start to shift for alot of women after birth. So, that might have something to do with it as well.

Hope this helps!

-Sunny

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I agree with spirited mamma dont be too hard on yourself. I am pregnant right now and have since weaned my little one she is 2 also and felt like the right time. When nursing and even now pregnant if I have serious cravings I listen to my body and create the healthiest cooked things, quinoa, rice, stir fried or steamed veggies lots of oil and avocados. Have you tried changing nuts like if you do a lot of almonds try mac nuts or if you do more sunseeds try hemp changing it up helps me as well. Sometimes serious cravings can be a sign or something you need or low iron. There is a great iron supplement called floradix iron plus herbs that feels essential for my body sometimes (it is sold at most health food stores) Might be worth checking out a naturopath or other raw/vegan friendly dietician b/c if you do not get enough for yourself and baby your body will borrow from your bones tissues etc to provide those nutrients for the baby through your milk. I found last year when being too strict on myself I was losing too much weight and feeling run down b/c of that reason and when I added some cooked meals and supplements it made all the difference. I can only draw off my own experience and thats what worked for me. Listen to your body and dont let that mothers guilt seep in you are sooooo much healthier than most.

Enjoy spring rawness it will be easier in the coming weeks!

Great Job too as a rawvegan concious mamma

Thanx for all the support - I really need it.

I got real mentaly sick a few months after giving birth. I was high raw, but i read to many raw food books that didnt agree with each other. " u need fat - Fat is Bad - fruit is bad - fruit is good - grains are terrible - some grains are good"

and i didnt know if i was eating good ro not!!! Crazy

But i tell you what since i've started eating more cook - which is taking over 1/2 my diet now!!! I feel much much better - my BO came back and i have a few pimples and mucus in the morning - but my overall feeling is better.

if i can just get my fresh juices, fresh fruits, green smoothies and healthy fats in - i feel like i'll be ok.

when Eli starts eating i want to give him the best i can - i dunno if im going to include cooked foods or not.

Shazzie does with evie - but i think like she does it should be mostly raw. I dunno

Pregnant and cloth diapering mama's - www.diaperswappers.com - my new addiction :)

LOVE diaperswappers! Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. I just got Gabriel Cousen's Concious Eating and he has a great section on pregnant and nursing mamas. Also, his Rainbow Live Food book has a great chart for starting babies on solid food. I really like it because it honors the baby's ayervedic dosha (generally kapha) and shows you how to start baby on the path to healthy raw food eating to avoid allergies and get maximum nutrition. We have been using it for my 9month old daughter and I have had none of the challenging food issues I have had with my other kids. Just thought I would pass the info. on to any mamas looking for guidance.

Again, so glad to hear you are feeling better! Even with 1/2 cooked, you are so far ahead of the game than many mother's out there!

Peace!

Spiritedmama - im wanting to get some primitive drum music - can you suggest an artist?

i love the sounds of soothing drums, i wish i had some when i was giving birth.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Hi rawmamanibbles~I'm not Spritedmama and not a drumming music suggestion... but really soothing music. Robin Miller: http://www.robinmillermusic.com/

Enjoy.

I like the Calming Rhythms CD from Jeff Strong. You can get it at the reiinstitute.com website. It is really great for little ones too! Also, Tribal Rhythms is a great one. I can't remember the artist, but I am sure if you google it you could find it! I will think of some more and post them a little later.

awesome! thanx ladies

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

rawmamanibbles, I just wanted to say how encouraging it was to read your post and hear that your nursing has been going so well (it sounds) for the last months. I've only just started (6 weeks in). It is also so wonderful to hear you listening to your body and being thoughtful about what you are eating. I know that, especially during pregnancy and nursing, there are many people that will give you conflicting advice on what is best for you and your baby. I truly believe that your body will tell you what you need if you are listening. And, it sounds like you are!

• Ahhhhh, time at the computer is such a luxury right now!

I just completed a wonderful pregnancy and my son, Zac, will be six weeks old tomorrow. I have five year old twins, but this is the first time I've been pregnant and, now nursing, while incorporating a lot of vegan and raw.

I started high, high raw today. And I'm very encouraged to see this thread with women sharing nursing and a raw diet.

Anyone take E3live? I just started it. And I'm eating a lot of fruit, a lot of avocadoes, cashews/nuts, sweets with cacoa and coconut butter, and smoothies. I'm going to soak almonds to make milk for tomorrow.

By the way, I do eat and even encourage (if your body is asking for it...as mine did during first and third trimester) whole cooked foods such as brown rice, sprouted bread, even a bite of animal protein, edemame, etc.

Ok, baby is waking up. Hope we can all share more. I like the community.

Debbie