Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Teaching a Raw Food Intro Class

I am planning an Intro Class and thinking about what to make! Anyone have any thoughts about easy, delicious dishes to turn people on to Raw? I would love your ideas!

Thanks

Comments

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

Do a breakfast, lunch and dinner

green smoothie for breakfast

a nut pate for lunch (serve it on romaine leaves with veggies and make lettuce cups)

and maybe a zucchini pasta with marinara for dinner.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

good idea wichten

could also throw the lunch into a nori roll those are pretty filling for newbies but dont forget some sort of dessert smoothie or snack to keep em interested!

• Thanks- yes I agree- I am thinking of : smoothie, hummus and/or a pate, chard wraps, zuccini pasta pesto,date nut torte and apple pie

• I couldn't eat a chard wrap when I first started. Bleh. I tried many bites and gave up.

I had to chop up the rest of it and made a chard burger.

I can do raw kale and dandelion greens now. Love them as a matter of fact. So maybe I will have to re-try a chard wrap.

• I teach raw classes in my area. I wanted to introduce people to all the methods commonly seen in raw food preparation.

Juicing: carrot, apple, ginger

Sprouting/Dehydrating: Grawnola

Soaking: Almond milk

Smoothie: Berry & greens

I then made a wrap with some fresh corn salsa and taco nut meat.

I also included handouts about the special equipment and raw pantry items you might come across in raw foods preparation that they might not know about. In my experience, people also like a few examples of recommended reading.

Good luck!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

What about picking some dishes that SAD eaters already eat that are raw so that it's not a huge departure, maybe just a gentle introduction. Dips such as guacamole and pico de gallo or other raw salsas could be good with romaine lettuce leaves and maybe some dehydrated chips for the more adventurous. Raw soup could be good if you got it warm enough or even some kind of gazpacho. And a really delicious dessert. I am iffy about the green smoothie, I like them , but it took a little getting used to in the beginning.

• Emilyjayne

Yes I plan to bring all of my books for people to look through- what did you use for your wrap?

I wonder if you would be willing to share your handout with me?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I also think a chard wrap would be too tough. I rarely make wraps though. I like making boats out of romain lettuce. My usual is smashed avocado with lemon juice, garlic, salt, and cumin scooped into the lettuce. It is heaven!!

I would definitely make a raw burger. Ani Phyo has a great raw burger. Dehydrating it is optional. I'd also do an easy dessert to start out with. Raw brownies are delicious and quick to make. I also love raw carrot cakes because it isn't too difficult to make it taste like the real thing.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

If you make a raw burger, you could either make jicama fries or the salt and vinegar chips from this site.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I make a raw nori roll with cauliflower for the rice. Basically I process the cauliflowers in the food processor and season it. Then I dry it between paper towels to get out the excess moisture. I also take handfuls of "rice" and squeeze it out over the sink before pressing it onto the nori roll. After that is pressed onto the roll I put cut up avocado, mushroom, pepper, etc. and roll it up. I think its a quick easy thing to make and it tastes great. I dip in shoyu(don't think its raw) but you can do what you prefer. Ginger is also great. I would definitely start with the easy stuff first. I have been raw for over a year now and am still discouraged when the prep work to make something is too long.

• Hi Rawyummy. I teach some intro classes as well and everyone here has given some great suggestions. If you're looking for a great dessert you can try sunshinerose's Triple Chocolate Mud Pie from this site http://www.goneraw.com/node/14374 I made it for the last class I gave and it was a hit!

Have fun!!! :)

Heather

• That does look great-did you have to refrigerate before eating?

I am wondering about time and number of dishes- my class is 2 hours and I am planning on making 6-7 things- does that sound right? One of them is a smoothie to start

Thanks again for all the advice-

• It is easier to cut and serve if refrigerated first. Although, the filling also makes a super yummy pudding and could be served with fresh berries in pretty glasses/bowls. Mmmmm!

As far as the number of things you are making, it depends upon how complex they are and how much time you feel you'll need to prepare them, answer questions and not feel rushed. For me, it would feel like too many, but I tend to talk alot! ;) Also, in the classes I've been giving recently, they've been real basic and start off with more information about why raw vegan is go great and then give them dishes that are really easy to get started with. I demo almond milk and a smoothie for sure, a fun snack, a pate to serve with veggies and crackers, a lunch/dinner entree and dessert. I'm looking forward to expanding the classes to more intermediate/advanced classes (I suppose those are ok terms to use) where we can make some more adventurous dishes. So, trust your sense of what feels right and have fun! It's certainly ok to run out of time and leave them wanting more!!

• ddigiacomo - I use cauliflower as sushi rice too, and I have a tip. I process the cauliflower than season it with a little plum vinegar(probably not raw), cayenne (just a litlle) and some agave - stir it all up and then squeeze it through cheese cloth in batches (that's the tip part). Then it's ready to use and waiting in the fridge - not all soppy.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

thanks for the tip sid, I will try that!

• Feel free to email me (contact@emilysrawfoods.com) and I will surely share the handout with you! I generally do 6-8 things, with a couple being SUPER easy, like a smoothie in a 2-2/12 hour period. So what you're planning sounds right to me. ;)

For my wraps, I now use chard, but I'm not sure that a beginner could start off on that, like people are saying. I also have used lettuce (romain, like a "boat" style) and seaweed sheets. You could use any kind of big lettuce leaf, and I think that would be a little more plateable to people. Iceburg comes in nice big leaves - though I can't believe I"m suggesting any one acutally eat it. :)