Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How can I thicken a watery dish?

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

I just made a zucchini hummus using the following ingredients:

2 peeled (medium) zucchini

3 T soaked sunflower seeds (drained)

1/4 C of raw tahini

dash of olive oil

1/4 C plus a dash of lemon juice

sea salt and assorted dry spices

It's much too watery (like a thick soup) and while I'm sure it'll be a tasty dip, in the future I'd like a thicker hummus.

Any techniques you'd use for thickening? More zucchini? Sprouted chickpeas? (I've used chickpeas in the past, soaked and sprouted 48 hours, and they were mealy and left a granular texture).

In general, do you have ingredients you use to thicken recipes, like arrowroot or sea vegetables (Irish moss, kanten, agar agar)?

Cheers!

Karina

Comments

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

hmmm. The zucchini would definitely make it watery... do you have a dehydrator? You could evaporate some of the water that way

• Zucchini have a very high water content so whenever I make any kind of dip or sauce that needs "heft" I usually start out with 1/2 the amount of squash called for and increase it if I need to. Maybe take half of what you made and try blending it with a some additional sesame seeds and see what happens. I've also found that once it's refrigerated it tends to set up a bit. Hummus is one of those things that I always like better the second day.

I hate making a recipe and not having it turn out. Seems like such a waste of ingredients. Good luck!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I usually add more oil to thicken the hummus. I've made zucchini hummus before and it gets watery really easily.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I found a way that works great for me. I grate the zuccini first and then lightly salt it and let it sit in a colander for a bit. Then I squeeze out as much water as I can before adding it to the hummus. It makes it nice and creamy.

• Do you have a cheesecloth? Let it drain through the cheesecloth for a while. Like how they drain the yogurts? When I used to make calabacita casserole I would have to let my zuchs sit out for a while to dry out a bit. After sitting in tihe fridge for a while, water will rise to the top and you can pour it off.

• I wonder if you stirred in a tbsp of chia seeds, or flax, if that would work- by making it gel a bit. Chia is really flavourless, and I even though your hummus wouldn't be totally smooth, I kind of like the texture of chia.

• Interesting ideas -- thanks to all! So many things to try.... I need more zucchini (zucchinis?). :D

• I usually put about a tablespoon or so of wheat germ when my food gets to watery. It works really well.