Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Up my milk supply

rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie
in Family

So i've been a wet- nurse for the last couple of months and im not able to produce much extra milk. Baby A is getting enough (mine) but baby B - im not able to extract much. everyother day or two i can get 9 oz in the moring - but thats it.

what can i eat/take to up my milk supply???

Comments

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

Mother's Milk Tea is great for increasing milk supply. Also, there are many good foods and herbs that are galactagogues (increase milk suply). Here is a great link on Dr. Sear's website with a whole list of galactagogues:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T027100.asp#T027101

• Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek pills from your local health food store. http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_about/all_about_fenugreek.html

Good luck!

• Hi rawmananibbles...

I've had the same problem last month while transitioning to a higher-raw-diet. Then I did some research and found on another forum the advice to take nutritional yeast: Take two desert spoons a day, mixed with orange juice.

I do this now for two weeks and it works! It reallyreally does!!

Rosa,

I am glad you found something that works...however, I would be careful with nutritional yeast as it is a form of MSG and may set your little one up for some allergy issues later, since it comes through in the breast milk....

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Where is this info on nutritional yeast Spiritedmamma? I use it and had no idea that its a form of MSG.

About upping the milk I actually get fenugreek from the bulk area of my co-op and depending on how much I need at the time I either sprout it or just grind it up and add it to food or cereal (its kinda cinnamony) I also really like the mothers milk teas I prefer the Earth Mamma Angel Baby brand but they are kinda spendy so its not necessarily a staple .

• Could you explain that, spirited mama? I'm not a native English speaker, so I have no idea what MSG is. Thanks.

Here are a few links with info. on nutritional yeast and MSG...

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/organicP.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/020426.html

If we just keep in mind that Nutritional Yeast is a processed food, and is processed at high temperatures (even low temp processing is still above the raw temps), then we probably shouldn't be consuming it anyway.

It is a controversial issue in many vegetarian/vegan circles, but because I am sensitive to MSG, and I get the same reaction from nutritional yeast, I started doing research and all the reliable sources that I have found say to stay away from Nutritional Yeast because it does give the same reaction as MSG...

Sorry I didn't post some sources earlier, had to go out the door in a hurry to help a mama in labor....

• Thanks, that's a lot of info.

Still, when it's really an emergency and I would have to choose between no more milk, or nutritional yeast for a few days, I would opt for the yeast. But now I've read this I prefer herbal teas.

Hi Desireebee, I am not confusing it with yeast extract, though I do know that that is MSG as well. Like I said, it is controversial...but if you just look from a processed perspective (even taking MSG out of it,,,) it's "pretend food", so best to stay away from it if possible. Plus, it is not raw and is a very processed food.

Would be interesting to know how they process it to create it.....

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Here is what I found on creation: "Nutritional yeast, similar to brewer's yeast, is a nutritional supplement popular with vegans and the health conscious, who use it as an ingredient in recipes or simply as a condiment. It is a deactivated yeast, usually Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It is produced by culturing the yeast with a mixture of sugarcane and beet molasses, then harvesting, washing, drying and packaging the yeast."

None of the articles you listed specifically talk about Nutritional yeast only yeast extract and the like on Wilkipedia they even talk about how nutritional yeast is very different than the yeast extracts made from MSG.

"Nutritional yeast is different from yeast extract, which has a very strong flavour and comes in the form of a dark brown paste.

Here is info on Brewers yeast :'"Brewer's yeast (also known as brewers yeast or brewing yeast) can mean any live yeast used in brewing. It can also mean yeast obtained as a by-product of brewing, dried and killed, and used as a dietary supplement for its B vitamin content."

So it sounds like its definately not raw and nutritional yeast is better than brewers yeast (since brewers is just a byproduct of beer making and nutritional is made on purpose) I am a little torn since its a form of B-vitamins which we can run low on. Everything I found said it is not MSG but deactivated yeast and I must say that I have reactions and can tell when something has MSG and have never experienced a reaction from it.

• Hi rawmamanibbles (cute name!)

Here is a site with some info

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html

Two things that helped me increase my milk supply:

1. drinking lots of fluids, even water

2 pumping more often, or letting baby nurse more frequently.

My milk supply seemed to go against the law of supply and demand, it is more like demand and supply!