Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question for those who make there own Kombucha

Im wanting to make flavors kombucha ( ginger, roots, ect)

but i dont know how to go about doing that. when do i place the herbs in the kombucha? before or afer it cultures?

Comments

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I read to do it after it is cultured, and the mother, and starter liquid are saved and removed. Some people put the ginger, fruit juice, etc. in the bottle if they are bottling it. But I admit I have never done it myself. Just read what others do. I've only ever had plain. :D

• After. We keep it in a big jar to start - let it culture then bottle it, add flavors, and let it sit a bit longer (when it gets the bubbles).

• Hey,

So I make my own Kombucha and I can tell you a little bit about it. The culture should never come into contact with any juices or added flavorings because it will mess up the composition of the SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). After it is done fermenting, put the SCOBY back in the fridge. If you want that classes "fizzy" taste, bottle the Kombucha and put it in a warm place for a couple days. When is becomes fizzy to your desire, you can then add flavorings:

-for ginger, I dice up a good knob of ginger and tie it up in some cheese cloth. I let this marinate in the kombucha for a couple days and then take it out when it is gingery enough.

-for juice, I will either add the pure

Of course, when I get on to making my batch we hit a cold spelll, after it had been so warm (hot even!). Anyone have any ideas on how to keep it warm naturally? I don't have the heat on, because it isn't cold enough for that, just cool(too cool for Kombucha). I have it on my deep freeze with a black cloth around it's "waist". I wondered what to do in winter? Even if I keep it near the vent next winter, it will probably be cold still, but if I put it directly on the vent it'd be too hot and someone will inevitably knock it over... I thought about making a heating pad using beans or something the next time the oven is on and putting it close by...?? Any other ideas?

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

ok so im on days 6 wiht my kombu and there is mold on the top surface of my mother??? is this ok?

• sorry luv but mold means it's time to restart a NEW batch...your scoby is now tainted. Hopefully you have another. I gave up on starting my own scoby from the GT tea...house has not been warm enough for long enough....weather has been crazy here in NJ so I'm kinda sad well actually very sad.

Better luck with your next batch!

Cheers

Lo

:( yes i have another mother ..... do i have to keep it warm, like should i place it in the sun?

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

I keep my mother in some kombocha in the cabinet. Is this wrong? I just checked it and its looks like a small jellyfish. Is there a point in which it will go bad? Should I put it in the fridge?

On another note, any other men have problems drinking Kombucha. When I drink Kombucha I feel like I have a UTI. I heard that sometimes tea is not so great for men to drink because it can cause these problems. Is that accurate?

Glam what part of NJ are you. I am origionally from north jersey but i moved to south jersey, Atlantic City. I am trying to find other Raw Foodists in the area to do meet ups and pot lucks etc.

how do i keep my kombu from molding????

You have to make sure to save alot of starter 25% at least, should be starter. Definitely keep it covered properly so no nasties get in. And of course rinse the brewing equipment with straight vinegar and rinse after each use..

oh and here is an article!

http://www.geocities.com/kombucha_balance/#Mold

Hope that helps. :)

• Hey rawmamanibbles, turns out I didnt chuck my second scoby. In fact, I just posted this on my other thread....

"Last week I had gone in to go get my pitiful scoby for a burial it buuuut, guess what?? My little film is now about 1/8 in thickness! I was so delighted to see it still trying to grow so I made new tea for it to keeep on truckin!! Amazing how all living things struggle to continue...it's doing its part so I gotta do mine give it new caffeine and sugar...will keep all posted".

As for the mold...hmmmm IDK coz I've never had one go moldy on me before. Do you have high humidity or something?? I'm gonna look for the site I have joined but have not had time to participate with specifically for Kombucha people and paste it here for you...maybe they can answer your questions better than I can. The main guy John seems very knowledgeable and he seems very helpful. so here it is: http://kombucha.ning.com/

Have a fantastic holiday. Best of luck and let me know how it goes!!

Peace Lo~

Peace and hope all enjoy their holiday!!