Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Steaming Broccoli??

I've read that the bioavailability in some foods is better with a little warmth - I'm specifically thinking of broccoli. I've read that a light steam will make it easier to digest and make the nutrients more easily absorbed. Steam is, essentially, 212 degrees F, right? I don't have a normal steaming pot... I use a big colander in a smaller pot. A lot of the steam is released out the the sides of the colander (because it's not small enough to fit inside the pot itself). I assume that this would decrease the heat the brocc is cooked in... Do you think this is suitable for the raw food diet? It seems feasible to think that the enzymes aren't damaged and the heat isn't more then 118 degrees (since it's not completely consuming the brocc and lots of the heat is released anyway). Any thoughts?

Also, I only cook it for about 5-7 minutes - I can eat a piece of brocc right out of the steamer and the water in the pot is a tad hazy but mostly clear. What are your opinions on this type of steaming method to improve the nutrition of a food like broccoli?

Comments

• "Do you think this is suitable for the raw food diet?" For me, yes. I steam some vegetables. I am not so worried about the 100%raw label though. For some people, being on an 100% raw food diet is important to them. In the end, you need to decide what works for you. But, if you are wondering if some of us here would steam their broccoli- then a definate yes. I eat raw broccoli, and cooked broccoli.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You can steam it in your dehydrator below 118

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Broccoli is one of the only vegetables i still eat steamed. It is too hard for me to digest when it's raw and I get really constipated. I don't eat it often, but when I do, I enjoy it to the fullest. I'll have to do the dehydrator method. That's pretty neat.

• JDJD

I love steamed broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts. I am high raw, not 100%. You should do what you feel is best for you.

Rawmama, you just listed to a cd of Brian Clement saying one thing and I just read an article that I posted from Forbes that said the opposite. It was actually the part of the article I found interesting because I had never heard that before.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

You can also marinate broccoli to soften it up. Depending on the dish, I might marinate the broccoli in olive oil, sea salt and pepper for a good part of the day and then dehydrate it for an hour or two. It has that nice soft cooked tasted but with a bit of crisp left. The combo of marinating and then dehydrating seems to work well. The olive oil prevents the broccoli from drying out in the dehydrator.

Here's a broccoli dish I made for easter using the marinating and dehydrating method and everyone loved it! :-)

http://beautifullivingfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/meet-yvette-our-adopted-gray-goose.html

(just page down a tad, past the geese photos)

• GlitterGirlGlitterGirl Raw Newbie

Marinating it is a fabulous idea!!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

That's what I do JoyceH, or olive oil and lemon and salt...yum, had to run out and buy broccoli this afternoon LOL! Amazing how a suggestion can make you crave something.

Pundee, that's toooo funny! Where did you post your article? I'd love to read it...

• JDJD

Hey rawmama, articles posted under Being Raw titled Forbes Magazine.