Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Food Real World's Samosas

JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hello,

Has anyone made the cauliflower samosas from Raw Food Real World? I've had my eye on them for a while now and plan to make them over the weekend. I'm looking forward to making the wrappers out of young Thai coconuts. That will be new for me. And the filling looks very tasty along with the sauces.

If you made these, how did you like them? Any tips or advice? I'm about to leave my office and head over to an Indian food specialty shop (Williston Road, by Marcos Pizza) to buy some chunky chat masala. Anyone ever use that seasoning? It will be a first for me. I'm wondering what it tastes like....

Joyce

Comments

• I have the book but have not made them yet. I agree that they look delicious, but at first they were just way too complicated for me (I was new to raw foods) and now I simply haven't had the chance yet.

Sorry if I'm not much help.

Let me know how they are =)

• I too have not tried them but I wanted to second the fact that they look amazing. I am intimidated by the wrappers. Please let us know how they turn out!

• I made these several months ago, and unfortunately I was rushed for time. As a consequence, I wasn't as careful during the cooking process as I should have been, so the coconut wraps came out funky, very uneven: thick/gooey/un-dehydrated/sticky in some parts, and overly thin/flaky in others. This made wrapping the filling difficult because it kept falling apart. I ended up eating it with a fork, spread out over my plate. The filling was grey and kind of looked like dog food.....so i think that making proper wrappers are important, not only for the taste but also for presentation. My suggestion would be to make more wrappers than the recipe calls for to ensure that you have enough viable wrappers when the time comes to assemble.

From what I remember, there was also a dipping sauce; its tartness was a really nice contrast to the samosa filling, which was sort of dense, salty and heavy-tasting.

All in all, it's a pretty good dish -- if you can pull it off!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Thanks autumnides for your post! I've been a bit intimidated to try this recipe due to the coconut wrappers. But now I think I'm ready to give it a try. I have all day Saturday to make raw food so I'll be extra careful with the wrappers. I was reading on the Sunny Raw Kitchen that the key is to make them very thin.

I'll post the results and photos on my blog. Hopefully I can get them looking decent :-)

Good to know that the filling was salty. I'll be mindful of that! And I'm looking forward to the tamarind sauce. I made the tamarind sauce for RFRW's Thai wraps (which are awesome!!!) in the past which was very good.

• I've made the coconut wrappers a handful of times. Tasty! But certainly take care to spread EVENLY. Super important. Good luck!

• I have not made the samosas, but thought you might appreciate this video.

In the beginning of this video, you can watch Vanessa Sherwood make

coconut wraps.

http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/1241745

The coconut wraps are for her version of Vietnamese Spring Rolls.

Thanks Emilyjayne - I'll definitely make sure I spread them evenly.

And thank you too, SimlyRaw! I'll watch the video tonight at home. I look forward to it! :-)

I made the samosas and they came out delicious! Wow, very yummy tasting! Even the picky husband truly enjoyed these! The coconut wrappers were indeed tricky but I managed to make enough to successfully make 14 samosas. All the photos and details are on my blog now:

http://beautifullivingfood.blogspot.com/

photo album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jholsten/RawVeganSavoryDishesByJoyceHolsten#

Cheers! :-)

Joyce

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi Joyce, your food always looks amazing!

Thanks sv3. I had a very good recipe to go by :-)

• Thanks for sharing your blogspot. I checked out those samosas (and other things too) It all looks fantastic!

I have made the mango wraps in RFRW and they were very nice. Have yet to try the samosas.