Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

No Poo

Okay. I haven't used shampoo or any other hair products since January 16 2009. I read about the "no poo" method on this site (basically the whole post about queenfluff's awesome hair) and everyone raved about their beautiful, full, healthy hair. My hair looks GROSS!!! haha I don't know how else to say it. Does this method not work for some people?? I do a baking soda/apple cider vinegar wash 1-2 times a week and that helps with the greasiness somewhat. I just really don't want to go back to shampoo because I don't want it in my hair. Any suggestions?? I will take and try any advice you give me!!!

Comments

• Well if your not against washing your hair with handmade all natural soap, this could be a good alternative to shampoos. I wash my hair with any hand made soap I have around. It's get the hair really clean without stripping the hair of it's natural oils. Your hair won't be greasy or anything. It just cleans your hair just like regular shampoo.

I like goat's milk soap or shea butter.

• Hi Joannabanana,

I did no poo for a year and a half.

At first, I only did water rinses (simply scrubbing my hair vigorously under water for 5-10 min) once a week. At the time my hair was waist length, straight and not too thick. At first it went great then my hair started getting/feeling pretty gross. So then I started doing ACV rinses. Once again, it was great for a few months, the it got really gross again. It would never look really clean or beautiful, only going from ok right after I "washed" it to terrible, then I would wash it again and it would go back to ok for a few days, and so on. It got so bad that I was really close to shaving my head (really strange for me as I have had long hair since I was a young child and was always super protective of it -- would never cut it).

Finally, last month I snapped and used my mom's super natural, not garbage, eco-friendly shampoo. It was the best feeling I have ever had in my life. LOL So amazing. It wasn't just my hair that had been feeling gross, but my scalp too.

I think that it was kind of a cumulative greasies thing, although it is supposed to get less greasy over time.

I don't know, and maybe I did something wrong (I know it helps to brush your hair a lot to distribute oils which I did at the beginning, but then about 6 months ago my brother's dog chewed my good hairbrush so I haven't been brushing nearly as much since. Maybe that made a difference), but I feel great now, and while I might try no poo again, for now I am good using the natural shampoo.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I added a chlorine filter to my shower Spring '08 and immediately noticed a difference in my hair and skin. (I hate to shower away from home where there is no filter.) About five months ago I went "no poo". I use baking soda and a white vinegar / water rinse, and "wash" my hair at least 3 times a week, sometimes 4 (the same as when I used shampoo). I'll not be surprised to find the need to wash even more frequently this Summer (gardening, working in the yard, etc.). So far, I love the results. But I can't imagine ever going more than 3 days without cleansing my hair and scalp.

Occasionally I do just a vinegar rinse. I've tried an ACV rinse, and also done just a water rinse (no soda scrub). I wasn't really pleased with any of the results. I massage my scalp every day, and my hair is really short - nape length. My cosmetologist knows my routine, and continues to be complimentary of the results. She no longer tries to add any "shop" products to my hair.

Here's a jot list of sorts from some of the things I've read. White vinegar is typically better than ACV for oily hair. Some recommend trying either a lemon or lime juice rinse if vinegar is not giving good results. Brushing daily with a natural bristle brush is important. Especially for long hair, as this helps distribute the oils down the hair shaft. As I understand it, the maximum benefits will not show up until the hair that has been exposed to chemicals has grown out and been cut. Also, keeping the split / dead ends trimmed seems to make a difference.

I know Queenfluff talks about the hair going through cleansing stages. Since my hair is so short, I figure the stages went quickly. I actually had it cut shorter than normal when I first started No Poo. I've read of others who decided to cut their hair so the cleansing process would go faster. Mine seems to be thickening up a little (was beginning to get a semi-bald spot) and a hint of natural curl is reappearing (which seems to amuse my cosmetologist).

I truly believe the difference for me is a combination of filtering out the chlorine, etc. and the products (baking soda and vinegar) I am using on my hair (and body). It takes time and some trial-and-error to find the right combination for your hair.

Are there any current long term "no pooers" out there willing to share their experiences with us?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

rawisbeauty, i've been using all natural soaps on my body but haven't tried it in my hair. i'm trying to get to the spot where i don't need hair products.

sexyraw, i feel the same way about my hair!!! i've always had really long hair, and a couple of weeks ago, i just went nuts. it was so heavy and dirty feeling that i had my little sister's friend cut about 7 inches off. it's kind of uneven, but i'm not worried about that. my mom has told me she'd buy me any shampoo i want just so she wouldn't have to see my hair like this. what kind are you using?? is it raw?

emtpdmom, that's interesting about the filter. i didn't think the water would affect my hair like that, but obviously it makes a difference. i'm going to wash it on friday and will try the white vinegar. i don't have a good hairbrush either because everyone in my house shares hairbrushes. it's about time i get my own!! haha

i just realized a possible reason that my hair is probably taking so long to detox itself. i got a perm in october 2008. i'm not sure how long they last, but even now when i get out of the shower, it's still curly. i haven't dyed or highlighted it since september because i want to get back to my natural color.

• joannabanana- I tried the no poo for a whil, rinsing every 2 days with water and every 3rd day with ACV/peppermint mixture...I recently went back to using shampoo because I started to look "greasy" lik you mentioned as well as my scalp was really dry and itchy.

I now use JASON ORGANICS shampoo, not raw in any way but neither is baking soda or ACV whic you have been using. They use all natural ingredients and do not test on animals or use an animal by rpoducts... ZGood luck to you, no poo isn't always for everyone.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Hey sexyraw99, care to share the name of that "super natural, not garbage, eco-friendly shampoo"? I'd like to know!

Lately, I have been using Dr woods tea tree castile soap with shea butter (they have one without shea too), followed by Dr Bronners Shikakai rinse. I did try water only, as well as baking soda, and wasn't real happy with it. My hair did ok with the baking soda but my scalp was horrendous!! I'm looking to find an Indian market somewhere relatively nearby, as I have found quite a bit of info online about shikakai powder working really well in place of shampoos, and that it's found easily at Indian markets. I also found it online at Amazon, and may go that route, but it's priced much higher than I've heard it goes for at the markets. The Shikakai rinse does have some oil in it, and I would like to try the shikakai without added oil. I like what I am using now, my hair looks good for a day or so. But would like to find something that would last a bit longer. I think it might be the oil in the shikakai rinse. not sure.

here are the two I'm currently using:

http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Woods-Pure-Tea-Tree-Castile-Soap-with-Organic-Shea-Butter-32-fl-oz-946-ml/11980?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Bronner-s-Magic-Soaps-Organic-Shikakai-Conditioning-Hair-Rinse-Citrus-8-fl-oz-236-ml/9092?at=0

If anyone decides to try those, and has never bought at iHerb before: you can use this code for $5 off: JIH770

• pixxpixx Raw Master

mmmorgans ~ ACV can indeed be found raw. Look on the label for "mother" included. AVC is simply fermented apple juice. Of course, the regular ACV is heated/pasteurized. But not all are. Eden brand makes one that is not.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I have been no poo since the middle of 2008 and all is well, when I am at home I rinse my hair daily with water so it is always great. but out here on the road i do have to go a few days between so I use a ACV rinse each time. Hardly ever use baking soda for my hair anymore just for bathing and cleaning ever thing else.

I did a diluted lemon juice rinse this morning and my hair is pure oil. eeekkk!!!

• I have gone no poo since Sept. 2008. I rinse with lemon juice every morning (undiluted). You need to make sure the lemon juice is raw. I buy unpasteurized lemon juice from the farmers market in bottles and keep them in the fridge. During the winter, to warm the lemon juice up fast I was putting it on the heat vent. I noticed my hair getting greasier and greasier. The lemon juice was heating up too much (and becoming unraw)! I now warm it in a sink full of warm water. it works well for me, but everyone is different. My boyfriend was using lemon juice also, but it really dried his scalp out.

• Alaffia is a natural SLS free shampoos that I used to get online. But my HFS store started carrying them so that's much easier. My dry scalp really improved wtih their Neem one. They have different shampoos and conditioners. I also LOVE their face creams and body butters.

http://www.alaffia.com/

Jessicurl was another more natural shampoo I used with good results. It barely lathers, so you have to get used to that. And the silicone free hair products were nice also.

http://www.jessicurl.com/

• Joannabanana,

I've been researching this in order to go no poo' myself, so I've read a lot of stuff lately by those who've had sucess.

Are you putting the vinegar on all of your hair, including the scalp? Most no poo'ers say that they use the bs mixture on their scalp and roots, but only put the vinegar on their hair from about ears down. They say not to put the vinegar on the whole head. For many, the vinegar causes the oiliness on the scalp and roots. Just thought I'd mention that in case it makes a difference for you.

Good luck!

• Pixx, the shampoo I use is called Earth Spirit Organics.

So far I have been pleased with the results, although my scalp is often quite itchy. I think that might be from missing my hairbrush though =)

I used to have this fabulous wooden bristle brush that gave an incredible scalp massage while brushing. I've ordered another one but it hasn't arrived yet.

I have also looked into the Morrocco Method shampoos. They seem to be great, but are too expensive for me at $17 for a 6.8 oz bottle. The Earth Spirit Organics is, I think, $13 (maybe $14) for a 16 oz bottle. Guess for the moment I'll have to be happy with that.

Joannabanana, if your mother said she'd bye you anything, I would really think about getting the Morrocco method, as I have heard only rave reviews and it is very natural. I don't think it is raw though, I've never heard of a raw shampoo. If you know of any please let me know.

Good luck with all the no-pooing!

duwan, i juice the lemons myself so it's definitely raw. i think my hair is just doomed. it's very fine, and ever since i got a perm, it has a gunky texture : (

bdcraddock, i was probably looking at the same sites you have been looking at. i usually do baking soda on my scalp and then acv on the ends of my hair. i let it sit on my hair while i wash my body and shave. one time i tried acv on my whole head and that was a greasy mess (just like the lemon juice).

sexyraw, these morocco method shampoos look awesome. the websites says that the shampoos are "Organic. Raw. Vegan. Gluten free. Animal cruelty free. Fair trade." i like how all the different shampoos work together to give you healthy hair. i really want these!!

• LOL, I can't believe I didn't even see that.... or maybe I did and forgot. :)

I know, they look amazing and I have heard lots of really amazing things about them. I might splurge just to try them, only then if they are as incredible as is purported, I will never be able to give them up. *sigh*

• I haven't used shampoo since Nov 2005.

I used WEN as a transitional product for the first several months.

Now I only use conditioner everyday and henna once a month. I love the conditioner only method. It works great for me.

well, after 4 months of living with disgusting hair, i snapped and bought an organic shampoo!! i used it this morning and the smell of it put me over the edge. it's rosemary and now my hair smells like a garden. it was one of the shower experiences i will never forget haha i just can't stop smelling my hair and touching it.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

:~) Niiiiice! ("now my hair smells like a garden.")

I've dropped the using Bronners shikakai rinse, as it was too greasy. But have been doing really well using the Dr Woods with shea, & sometimes using a bar "shampoo" by jrliggett.com. Both are castile soaps, all natural oils.

pixx, i will definitely get some bar shampoos. it seems like a lot of people use them now.

i've used bottled shampoo 2 times since i posted on the 18th and my hair has been REALLY REALLY REALLY itchy the past 2 days. do you think my hair is rejecting the shampoo?? i just can't win with this head of hair. i mean, it smells fantastic, but i have scabs all over my head from itching. i'm thinking i may need a tea tree oil shampoo.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Tea tree works well for me. You can even add a few drops of the oil to any shampoo you like. (I used to do that, before finding the products with it already in it.) :~)

that's such a good idea. i always have some handy because i use it on my face. i've tried other oils like jojoba and coconut, but they just made my hair really slick and greasy.