Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

substitutions

What would be a good substitute for nutritional yeast? Reason I’m asking, I would like to try a recipe that originally uses frozen corn (yet it’s still a ‘raw’ recipe) and I would like to try it truly raw. I would like it to be as similar as possible to the original so I would know if it works, but it calls for yeast (I don’t trust fungi, and also, it isn’t raw) so does anyone know? Chris? Zoe? Also, I was wondering if anyone knows a raw substitute for bragg’s liquid aminos? I don’t think nama shoyu is raw either… Right?

-Lucy

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

We use salt instead of nama shoyu and braggs. And use pine nuts instead of nutritional yeast, sometimes, but most times we just leave it out. I think food and recipes taste better all raw, so I don’t ever thing I am missing out by leaving something out, in my experience it always makes the recipes taste better. Cooked + raw = yuk!

What recipe are you trying? Post it on here and I’ll see if I can suggest a way to fix it.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

This is the recipe as posted on eat.rawfood.com forum:

CORN TORTILLA 2 cups Yellow Pepper (I just blended 2 big yellow peppers) 5 Cups Frozen Corn (THAWED) 2 Medium Zuccini 2 Tsp Nutritional Yeast 2 Tbsp Onion Powder 1 Avocado 2 – 3 Tbsp Psyllium 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt

Blend and dehydrate, basically.

They also said that it doesn’t taste right unless you use frozen corn, which is why I would like to challenge it.

• Sesame seeds and a little extra salt might make a decent sub too.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi there Morning theft, Well, I have made loads of raw corn tortillas 100% raw and they tasted amazing. I used to use frozen corn before I knew it wasn’t raw and they never tasted any good. It was only when I used fresh corn that they started to taste amazing! I can’t see how manky old blanched half cooked dead corn is any substitute for zingy, juicy fresh and alive corn, I think you know what I am talking about!

I use a recipe similar to that one, I normally use some ground flax seeds – this would be instead of psyllium husk ( I prefer flax seeds – no raw/not raw reason they just stick stuff together so well, great for flexibility and I love they way they taste ). And I have never used zucchini, just corn + flax+avocado olive oil salt+chilli powder, and maybe a bit or coriander/cilantro. The zucchini would be good though, it is always great in breads,wraps etc.I think I’ll add it when I make tortillas again, great idea.

If I were you i’d just leave out the nutritional yeast, I have never used it in tortillas and I can’t see why it is needed. I don’t see how 2 tsp would even taste like anything anyway. It looks like a great recipe. Mexican always is sooo great raw!

Thank you Zoe, I’ll try doing that, and use flax instead of psyllium (it’s what I have at the moment anyway).

• Hi Those sound really good. Did you roll your corn chip dough out with a rolling pin or just press it down with your fingers?

Did you mean me or Zoe? I haven’t tried this recipe yet because just seeing it, it didn’t look raw to me and I didn’t wanna even try. BUT the batter will probably be pretty runny, they say to pour it on the sheets, and use a spoon to make circles or just shake the tray. Something like that :c)

• Why is frozen corn not raw? does this go for all vegetables?

• CTcyclist, Almost all frozen vegetables in the store are blanched in boiling water before they are frozen, and it kills off the enzymes. =(

I’m glad this topic was brought up because I’ve seen lots of recipes with nutritional yeast and Braggs, and I would choose not to use them either.

• What should I substitute for agave nectar. I have never used it and am not sure how it works in a dehydrated recipe! I could use honey, but would it be okay in the dehyrator and would it be the same as agave nectar????

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

substitute agave for dates – blend into paste with water. Or sweet fruit. Or raisins and sulatanas etc.

With the tortillas I make the mixture is poured onto the dehydrator tryas out of the blender or food processor, It is like a thick cream.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Zoe, are raisins the same as sultanas or something different? I just recently figured out what courgettes were… hehe. And rocket… that’s arugula, right? Isn’t it funny how we call the same things by different names?

• Well I’m not entirely sure that frozen vegetables are all unraw. Are they blanched long enough to heat the whole way through or just merely kill of any bacteria on the outside of it?