Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Trouble concentrating: foods for self-discipline/ADD like personality?

CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I don't believe in ADD as a disorder, but I definitely have problems staying focused once I start some work, even have a really hard time getting motivated to start important things.

Sometimes I get bursts where I can concentrate a lot.

But I can't live like this anymore.

How can I change?

Comments

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

So no one knows if there are any foods that can mimic ritalin/adderal?

I have a really hard time focusing.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I would find out if there is some other underlying cause. I know for me when my thryoid or adrenals are off the first thing to go now is focus, moods and ability to get stuff done. Vit D has also made a difference, but for me keeping up with sugar balance and adrenals has been the biggest thing. Just a thought....

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Carnap -- I'm a strong believer in essential oil aroma therapy, having successfully used it to manage my chihuahua's severe separation anxiety for more than 2 years now. This website seems to cover a wide variety of options, and some combinations that you could create yourself. It is important to use quality essential oils. The cheaper "stuff" has been diluted, and is a waste of your money for medicinal purposes.

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/essential_oils_for_add_and_adhd

• Carnap -

I have read that kefir is known to help with focusing. Health in High Heels actually talked about it in their latest newsletter. The author of the article describes how kefir has helped her autistic son to focus. She also gives directions on how to start making your own coconut kefir.

Here is the link...

http://www.healthinhighheels.com/home

The article is called "Getting Started with Fermented Foods: Food Remedies for the Autism Gut" It is Vol/ 3, Issue 50, April 24, 2009 Maybe this is something to consider.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

This is a pretty out there opinion, but I think the manner in which we eat affects our energy for the day. I am most able to focus when I don't eat until noon and then eat lower sugar content foods for lunch, higher sugar liek bananas around 3-5 and a snack of whatever later. Try and eat calmly and not more than your body is asking for. Overeating always makes me less balanced. Drink tons and tons of water.

• Ritalin and Adderall are nervous system stimulants -- the latter is an amphetamine mixture. The synthetic prescription ADD meds, as well as illegal street amphetamines, are popular in part because they are such dramatic quick acting chemicals and no other substance works quite the same, even in quantity. (Of course, they also build tolerance quickly, have side effects, are psychologically addictive, etc.)

The only "natural" stimulant that works through a similar brain mechanism is caffeine (I use green tea tablets -- often advertised as natural weight loss supplements, but they help me concentrate when taken in small doses throughout the day), and (for a few people, with potential nasty side effects) ephedra or ma huang.

That said, I have heard from some holistic practitioners as well as a mainstream psychiatrist that DHA and EPA (two of the fatty acids among the omegas) may work to improve cognition and concentration among those diagnosed with ADD and ADHD (as well as in calming bipolar mood swings, for which some mixed clinical studies have been done). Perhaps a flax oil supplement that is very high in DHA could help you noticeably, when taken in high dosages for a couple of weeks (EPA is difficult to find in the plant world, and is found in higher concentration in fish oil). YMMV. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to take in all that advice.

I, too, love aromatherapy. I might pick up a different E.O. today.

Taking Zinfandel's advice a little further, I am doing a juice fast today. I have exams in a week and need to get in tip top shape.

Thanks, all.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Good morning, Carnap, or is it afternoon now in France? Good look with your preparation for exams, and with your quest for better concentration.

Thanks. I have a feeling some is personality.

But - I looked up the effects of wireless internet, and it has been linked to impaired concentration. I'm unplugging mine tonight.

Anyone else know if I can detox those electromagnetic waves?