Juice fast starting today!

elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

So I'm embarking on a juice fast today.

Actually it's more like a smoothie/juice fast, as I'm going to be drinking smoothies for the next 3 days in order to ease myself into the juice fast, which I plan to carry out about 17 days before attempting solid food again.

The purpose of this fast: weight loss (about 17 pounds to my ideal weight) and just a general spring-cleaning feeling I've been having lately.

I would appreciate any tips, messages of support/caution, and yummy juice or smoothie recipes!

Thanks all!

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Nice! I would love to join you but I can't do that until MOndya. I've got a 5K to do and a Mother's day meal to make! I've been thinking about this though as a nice introduction to summer!

What juices are you doing?

• Very nice. I will be doing a juice fast this weekend - and would love to make it all of next week as well,

but im finding it hard to bring juice with me to work. I bring smooties, however, when i bring juice it seperates.

Anyone have any ideas on how i can accomplish fresh juice at work? I would love to do a 17 day juice fast like Elizabethh

• Good luck and congratulations! I'm going to embark on a green smoothie fast/feast starting Sunday and going through pretty much my whole life. Just kidding but I wanna try for about a month.

Let us know how your juice/smoothie fast goes though it's great inspiration for everyone else!

Make sure you drink lots of water too! Sometimes I find I forget to drink water if I'm focused on making smoothies and whatnot.

Also, especially if your main motivation is weight loss, incorporate some exercise that isn't TOO strenuous (yoga is a good one).

Good luck :)

I tried to do juice at work but it was hard to bring enough for me. Juice is also so expensive that I sometimes feel guilty. ha

Is it safe to do green smoothies for a month? I guess if you did a variety of different ones. I'm sort of boring with mine sometimes when I get into a routine.

• You can live on green smoothies. Fruits and veggies and greens. Just what we need.

I could use a green smoothie cleanse. I need to lose about 10 pounds. I have done smoothies for 5 days before, but something always comes up and throws a wrench in my smoothie cleanses.

I can try starting tomorrow. But I have kelp noodles to eat!! And a mango cheesecake to make for my mum for Mother's day...

• My Green Smoothie this morning was very refreshing.

Pear Parsley Smoothie

1 cup liquid (I used coconut water and aloe vera juice)

1 date

1 banana

1 apple

1 1/2 pears

handful of red grapes

1/3 - 1/2 bunch of parsley

3 celery stalks

It was so nice on this warm morning. Not too sweet. And a lovely shade of green. Of course you could make it sweeter if desired. Since I used no frozen fruit, I ended up throwing in ice cubes and reblending to chill it cuz it was quite warm, and a little thick with all that pear pectin.

For some reason celery in smoothies or juice makes me gag. But everything else in that sounds lovely! I wouldn't mind adding spinach or collard greens instead though. That sounds amazing.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi! a water fast would be more ideal for weight loss. when you're drinking juice it still needs to be digested, so your body is still using energy to digest instead of expelling toxins and fat. when you do a water fast your body uses zero energy on digesting and can focus on cleaning house. it would be more efficient to do a 5 day water fast then it would a 17 day juice fast. you are right about the smoothies though to ease you in. you need the fiber so whole blended fruits and veggies are great for that. smoothies are also good to break the fast, as long as your not combining improperly and your not combining a lot of things. ripe bananas blended with greens and water taste like a milkshake and they're super healthy.

also, while your fasting it's really important to rest, rest, rest. if your doing a lot of activity your body will divert it's energy toward that instead of cleansing.