Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

My dog passed away

I am not sure this is the right place to post this, I hope that I don't offend anyone. My precious dog passed away, she was 91/2 years old. Her and my two other bigger dogs live on my parents land. They have for over three years since we had to move and were no longer able to keep them with us. We go down there about three times a week to play, check on, and keep them feed. It had been a couple of days since we were last down there and I found her laying in the barn. My question is this..her eyes were closed and she was laying on her side like she would when she slept. I thought normally when a dog dies its eyes are opened? Is there a way to know if she suffered? She had no obvious health issues, she was active, she loved to fetch ,and swim in the creek. Any input would be helpful!! Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place!!

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

So sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you.

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I don't have any answers for you but I'd like to offer my sincerest condolences. I know how painful it is to lose a pet companion and you have my deepest sympathies.

Me and my girls (Silke, Luna and Sophia) send you virtual hugs, purrs and tail wags.

Ev

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I'm sorry. Big hugs to you. :(

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I had the same thing happen with a horse, it just looked like he had gone to sleep. I will never know, but after thinking about it I decided that he must've gone peacefully. He looked comfortable, not like he'd been thrashing or hurt. I suspect if she'd been suffering, she would've gone off in a corner somewhere. I tend to think that it would be obvious to you if there'd been pain. I am so sorry for you. It is hard to lose a pet you love.

• thanks you all for being so kind. I just pray that she did fall asleep and went peacefully. She didn't have any obvious signs that she had been hurt. She was just laying on her side with her eyes closed. I just have seen animals in the past when they pass their eyes are open. I was thinking maybe her's were closed because she had been sleeping. It hurts like crazy thinking about it, but if I knew she wasn't in pain then I wouldn't be beating myself up with the "what ifs". I guess I will never know for sure..just wish I could of been there for her!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

You poor baby. I'm so, so sorry. I would agree that eyes closed = not sudden, probably just slipped away.The best advice I got after the loss of a cat was that it never hurts any less, it just hurts less often (eventually).

Sending hugs to you and your fur babies.

• So sorry for your loss. I, too, think she probably died in her sleep, so her last moments were peaceful. Don't beat yourself up for not being there, or thinking you could do something. Take comfort in the fact that she was loved and happy and that you WERE there for her during her life.

• It sounds to me as if she pass on peacefully in her sleep.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

OOXX

• thanks to all of you. Its nice to know that there is a place I can go to when I am dealing with something as horrible as this. I just keep crying and wandering how her final moments were spent and I pray that she was peacefully sleeping and knows that I love her very much and if I would of had the slightest suspicion that she wasn't feeling good, I would of done everything I could..man this is hard!! Thank you again..

• i am so sorry for you. i feel like she went peacefully. and it sounds like she was happy, having all that land to enjoy and all the visits she had with you. it sounds like she was very well taken care of and loved very much. she will always be with you. i hope that you can feel a little better with each new day. much love to you!

• thank you all for all your kind words. She was and will always be very special to me..I hope to see her again one day..