Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

JUICE FASTING AND RUNNING

carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Okay, so I've been raw for over 2 years now and I'm doing a juice fast now (I've done a number of these before).... but, I'm new to running. I've been running for about 2 months now and I have a 5K coming up next Saturday. Has anyone ever done this while juice fasting? I've tried running twice this week and my body just doesn't seem to want to do it.... I'm not sure if it's because I was running on a treadmill or because my body is going through detox... or just not enough "fuel". Any suggestions would be fabulous! Does anyone have a juice that is great for before a run? Thanks!!!

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I need to know this too. I've been running since the beginning of March and I run just over three miles a day and I'd really like to do a juice fast or even just a smoothie run but I have a 5K on Sunday that I"m running and I'll be doing more after that so I can't really stop running for long. I'd love to do a detox but I'm worried about running plus that.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

when you're fasting you need complete rest. the whole point of fasting is for cleaning up and if your using your body's energy to run then your body won't have any energy for cleaning up... so it would render it pointless. if you want to do the best you can to clean out while still being able to run or do any activity, a mono meal diet of fruit would be ideal. something like bananas. you would eat 20-30 per day depending on how many calories you burn.

• Hi Troub- nice to see you around again. I didn't know you were running. I remember from your posts a long time ago that you were really low calorie, and still wanting to lose some lbs but not being able to... I'm curious how running has affected that- any comments?

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Now I"m thoroughly confused... I've always heard to workout just as i normally would while fasting. Maybe not water fasting, but any other type of fast... I've always worked out before and never had a problem with it... so, again, i'm confused :) I'm not a born runner and i find it difficult to run, but i have noticed a change in the shape of my body and the slow disappearance of cellulite from my legs. I'm not stopping after my 5K either... i have another one in June to do and I want to do it even better than this one :) Good luck to you Trouble!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think you can go by how you feel. I had a couple juice feast days where I could run but then after about 6 days, I couldn't do it anymore; I needed to eat solid food to run.

• ajcajc Raw Newbie

From my experience with juice fasting,if you can run 5k,you deserve a medal!

osoniye-yes thanks for remembering! I still continually struggle with calories but I'm getting much better now that I'm running. I KNOW that I have to get enough and because of that I force myself to eat things that I wouldn't normally grab. I generally crave the very low calorie fruits and veggies and get full from the water content without getting even remotely enough calories. I mean really really low.....like around 500 a day or less. So now I'm trying to get around 1800 with my running and it's still a struggle but I'm overcoming it.

I have a horrid digestive system that works well only with raw food but I would like to fast to give it a good solid clean out and I don't want to stop running.

I finished my 5K on Sunday well and I'll be doing more as the summer and fall progress.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

You need to up your juice intake if you're running while juicing. I did a 5k on the 14th day of juicing. Get yourself some high calorie juices before going (orange juice works well if you can handle the acid, its very high in calories and protein). Make sure you get your sodium back after the race. I recommend a ton (like two quarts) of apple celery juice to get you through the calorie burn and replenish electrolytes. I also recommend apple/carrot/spinach juice before your race too. Get your calories on and you will fly to the finish.

Wichten - thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! I bought myself some Coconut Water for after the race too (electrolytes), but the other juices sound like what i need too! I was thinking maybe i'd indulge in some Almond Milk right before the race. I'm not sure about that one! I plan on juicing until the end of may, so I really don't want to stop juicing. I was going to do the Almond Milk purely for the protein.

I have Adrenal Fatigue and my Naturopath recommends me taking 1tsp of sea salt each morning, so I think my sodium will be okay, but maybe i'll save the salt water for after the race that day. Apple Carrot Spinach is a mix i generally do, so I can definitely do that one! I have a tough time with celery juice and cucumber juice - I know they are both excellent for me so I make myself drink them, but i really do not like the taste or the smell of either. It's odd b/c i love both in their raw forms, but just not in juice! I have grapefruit/orange each morning for breakfast, so getting the fresh OJ will not be a problem either ! My only problem will be holding my bladder for the race :)

My 5K will be on my 13th day of juicing, so thank you for the inspiration!

Trouble- great job finishing up the race! If you don't mind my asking, what was your time? Like I said, I'm not a natural born athlete and I really do struggle with running. But, as my body thins out, it does get a little easy. My legs have always been on the heavier side and I think that holds me back a little. I just feel heavy when i run. I look at other people and think how nice they look when they run and I just don't feel as graceful... I also have the same problem that you have. My caloric intake is pretty low too - which is why I think I do so well when I'm juice fasting. I crave fruit all the time - especially in the 3 warmer seasons. I don't crave veggies much, but I do incorporate them into my juices. I went away last weekend and I was eating 3 meals (all raw) and active all day and i actually lost some weight. I thought that was funny since i was eating probably double what i normally eat! My digestive system also is picky... which is why i became a raw vegan. The juice fasting is excellent and you feel so much better while your doing it. I have a hard time the very first day, but if I get through that, the other days are so easy! I don't crave anything odd... i just give my body the fruits and veggies it's craving and then everything is okay!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!!!!

carrie- my time was 29minutes but I feel like I could have gone alot faster had there not been so many thousands of people there. The first mile was nearly eleven minutes because me and my running partner were dodging and trying to get around so many people. Once we got past the first mile we were able to speed up some. I hope the next 5K that I do(I think on May 30) it won't be so crowded and I'll be able to get a better time.

Starting now though I'm going to be doing everything barefoot. I'll be training barefoot and running the races barefoot. I'm sure that sounds weird but research it and i think you'll see the benefits are amazing!

I'm sure you look amazing running. Any time I see a woman running I feel empowered.

Trouble- that's awesome! I'm right around 34 minutes for the 5K runs i've been doing (practice). However, the person that I run with, says that she's going to work me harder today - I'm scared :) I was hoping to finish under 30, but I just don't see it being realistic right now. I have another 5K at the end of June (23rd) and there shouldn't be as many people at that one, so that should be a better race for me. I'm not looking forward to the thousands of people who will be there!

That's very interesting about the barefoot running. I will have to read up on that. I just don't know if my feet could take that - I'm not a fan of going anywhere barefoot :)

Great job!!!!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

hey trouble- that seems really cool about the barefoot racing. do you train on pavement or soft ground. i run around barefoot all the time, never thought about doing it for actual training though. Can you give out some sources?

Carrie-I did my first barefoot training and my feetsies are sore! I have to start low so I just did a mile. haha. But as it goes I'll be increasing my distance.

I will say that though my feet are sore(which will change as I continue) I didn't have any knee or ankle soreness which is awesome since I've been struggling with that for a while. I'm really excited!

You can get under 30! Race day adrenaline totally makes things easier. haha

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

my legs always feel like lead when I try to run while fasting (master cleanse and juicing) and I can do some pretty good distances normally so I'd say no running while fasting.. maybe yoga or walking instead

Thanks everyone. I did run today and I was fasting... had no troubles. The problem came Wednesday morning when I woke up and could barely step down. Not sure what I did but my ankle was feeling terrible. Still feels horrible, but i decided to run on it today anyway! I'm glad I did - I didn't run great, but i finished! Now, i need to rest for a few days :)