Sprouted black beans

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows.... everytime I sprout black beans, only like a third of them sprout. So I was wondering for the black beans without tails, if those aren't "sprouted beans" and I'm eating raw beans, or something not healthy for me. Thanks and blessings

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Beans that won't sprout are not viable, ie: dead. But beyond that, Black beans should *not* be eaten raw, whether sprouted or not!

• Why shouldn't black beans eaten raw? I have receipes in my raw food cookbooks with sprouted black beans.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Folks have gotten sick from eating undercooked beans from a crockpot, and it was found that Black beans and Kidney beans should not be consumed raw, or undercooked. "Hemagglutinins" is the word I am coming up with on a quick search, but I will see if I can find more info.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I have not read all of this, but found these sentences, referring to black beans and kidney beans:

"Both beans belonging to Phaseolus vulgaris were very toxic in the raw state causing the death of all the experimental animals within a week."

"it is significant to note that the two unheated legumes that were toxic, namely the black bean and kidney bean, were likewise the only two that displayed hemagglutinating activity."

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/77/1/109.pdf