Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What do you think of raw and/or roasted peanuts?

valgal123valgal123 Raw Newbie

I have never liked raw nuts, but now I don't really have a choice. But I am still eating roasted peanuts and peanut butter. I keep thinking "how bad can it be" and of course its organic. I am thinking about buying raw peanuts, but have already tried raw spanish peanuts and they taste just like dirt to me. I will eventually stop eating them, but only after I manage to gain 20 pounds. Anyway, what does everyone think about peanuts?

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I am finding more and more issues going on in my body with nuts, too. I do best (actually, no problems at all) when the nuts are used for nutmylks. Maybe you will enjoy them more that way, and have less issues with them too. Worth a try?

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I guess I really did side step responding about peanuts, though- sorry. I do eat peanut butter, but I am not 100%. I wouldn't eat peanuts raw, though. Can't remember the reason, but heard that they shouldn't be eaten raw. I've seen them sold raw, but know folks who boil them, or sugar-coat & roast them.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

i agree with lulushka8. peanuts are the worst of the nuts, health wise. the best time to eat nuts/seeds are when they're in season in the fall. the oils in nuts go rancid really quick. any nut not directly from the farm in season is rancid.

lulushka8, go with your instincts, if you have to force yourself in any way to eat something, then it shouldn't be eaten. i used to force myself to take wheatgrass shots because i thought they were healthy. i always felt so nauseous after. i should have taken that as a sign ;)

• Hey Kelly - I love your posts. You are so informative! I have been wondering about nuts and rancidity lately. I just ordered some raw pistachios and I noticed when I soaked them that they all float. I read somewhere that floating nuts is a sign of rancidity. Is this true? Are all my pistachios bad? Also, I put my nut order in the freezer because I thought that would help preserve the fats. Will my nuts still sprout after being frozen?

aww thanks parsley! i'm not too sure about the floating thing. i just know that nuts are in season in fall and that's the best time to eat them. i will probably eat some pistachios come this fall. freezing nuts is the best way to preserve them. in nature they usually get cold or frozen when the fall passes anyway, but you have to freeze them when they're fresh. i haven't had any experience with sprouting them after they're frozen so i can't say.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

All right, I'm not gonna lie. Whenever I go to baseball games, I always get peanuts. It's just a tradition that I won't give up and it's only once a year so I don't think it's that bad. But besides that, I never eat peanut butter or peanuts. Obviously, roasted peanuts taste AMAZING and are totally addictive, but I've found the will to stay away. My main nuts and seeds of choice are sesame seeds (can't get enough tahini) and cashews.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I've never liked peanut butter but I find roasted/salted peanuts totally addictive! My BF sometimes buys them and if I have just one...I cannot stop! I try to avoid them at all costs because of this. I also read somewhere (could have been on this site) that it's better to eat whole peanuts rather than peanut butter as all the old/mouldy/icky ones are used in peanut butter. Yuk!

lulushka8-

i know exactly what you mean. once you take certain things out of your diet for a while and reintroduce them, you can really tell their affects. i used to think that a fruitarian diet was absolutely crazy back when i was unhealthy and i followed diets like the ph diet and the body ecology diet. now i'm absolutely in love with it. things change, people change. no need to feel like a hypocrite. it seems you're headed in the right direction so i would keep doing what you're doing.

i think i read on one of the threads that you were leaning towards natural hygiene. if you're interested in it i really recommend reading the basic health library volumes I, II, and III. here's the link to one of them:

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Health-Library-Books-Single/dp/B000IEUKDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1242678971&sr=8-1

the used ones are super cheap. there's so much great information in these books.

• valgal123valgal123 Raw Newbie

Wow, what a response. Thanks to everyone. I will do what my body tells me. I have a question on being a fruitarian, they don't eat greens. A most nutricious food. That just doesn't seem right, what do you all think? Oh and one more thing, eating such a pure diet (like eliminating nuts or all fruit) seems to really put a hold on social life or just having fun. What does everyone do exactly for fun because you know how family and friends like to socialize around food. Does everyone just surround themselves with others that have the same interest in health? Does this mean no more raw restaurants, outings or Disneyland? Life is short, shouldn't we enjoy as much as we can and lighten up a little on our diets? I don't know, does this make sense? I hope I'm not offending anyone.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I've also heard that most varieties of peanut (hybridized) should not be eaten raw. I've had jungle peanuts (an heirloom variety) and I don't really care for them so I don't eat them.

Your second question on greens...good luck getting people to agree.

Your third question on socializing...deserves a thread of its own! Everyone handles it differently, of course.

hi valgal! i say fruitarian but i mean frugivore. greens are very abundant sources of minerals and are a great addition to fruit diets. greens have very little calories so when it comes to calories, i eat about 98% of them from fruits and 2% of them from greens.

a lot of people will say that life is short and if you eat a strict diet, you aren't really living but i find it's really the opposite. if you are super healthy then you will be living a long vibrant life free of disease and pain! does one really only live and enjoy life if they are eating cooked food? people think that eating a strict diet makes you a slave to food but i also think it's the opposite. if you are letting your cravings control you, then you are becoming a slave to unhealthy foods. everyone follows their own diets, some eating 100% raw, some others eating high raw or even half raw. i'm not saying that you have to eat 100% raw, i'm just saying that if you eat 100% raw that doesn't mean that you are missing out and not enjoying life. it means you are missing out on disease, that's for sure. we shouldn't live to eat, we should eat to live!

also, i had to go to disneyland with family a few months ago. i brought a little backpack with fruit in it and when we all went out to eat i ordered a plain salad with a little side of avocado. one of the restaurants had an organic greens salad! eating healthy doesn't mean you have to miss out on things. it's your choice though, no one can make you eat healthy. you have to do it for yourself :)