Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Couple more questions

LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

hello again :)

i just wanted to ask some questions about garlic and raw corn.

is it possible to eat too much raw garlic, can it have any negative affects on your health besides the smell? and raw corn. i want to know do you guys eat alot of it, how does it combine? is it easy to digest?

thanks

Comments

• too much garlic is bad actually. Something about the acid in it reacting badly with your stomach lining. i have a chinese medicine book that talks about that and how you should eat a few cloves a day, but too much is harmful.

as for raw corn, i love it. I put it in soups, salads with other vegetables, or make chips with it. and i've found that it doesn't really affect my digestion

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

raw garlic is best used in moderation and as far as raw corn goes, I don't know much about it but it is considered a grain and grains are very dangerous for our bodies so I'd use that in moderation as well.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I cannot eat corn at all. If I do, I poop out corn like 2 weeks later. It stays in my stomach and makes me so darn sick.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

that's corn for ya......not the best food to eat. Though raw corn is super tasty.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I love corn and luckily don't seem to have any adverse reactions . I tend to go through phases where I eat it everyday then lay off it for while. Mmm, this is making me hungry!

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

raw sweet corn is fine! it's not a grain like regular corn. it's actually botanically a fruit. buy organic for sure though, because the corn supply is so heavily tainted with monsantos gm seeds. they will be in season soon! as for garlic, it's definitely not a food, it's an irritant. if you eat a whole clove at once you will throw up or have a really upset stomach...not a good sign. your body will try to get rid of it because it's toxic. it's anti-bacterial, and that's including your good bacteria too.

• Wow Kelly, I didn't know that about garlic. From your posts I see you eat alot of fruit. (Which is my favorite

• It can't come out whole if you chew it up well.

I make corn chowder soups with it and there is no way its coming out whole since its blended.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I like corn and asparagus (and probably other things) better raw, but I don't partake in them often.

I'll eat garlic here and there, but in my opinion, it does create an odor in your secretions and can be irritating for some.

My pee smells like mango after I eat it.....is that supposed to mean mango is a toxin?

hi lobo! if you are going for optimum health, there is no good amount of garlic to consume.

has anyone noticed how your perspiration often smells like garlic after you eat it? it's because your body is trying to eliminate it because it is a toxin. anything that makes you sweat, pee, in excess is a toxin that the body is trying to rid itself of. for example diuretic and diaphoretic herbs. our bodies are really smart, we just have to pay more attention to them.

sorry for the confusion superfood, i'm talking about herbs and such. mangoes have no ill reactions. they nourish you and give you energy to burn! when you pee after eating a mango it's because the fruit has so much water in it. when you pee after diuretic herbs, it's because your body is trying to get rid of the toxic substance.

Okay, just making sure. I always rinse them before peeling because I hear the mangoes are sprayed heavily.

i have heard that a lot of conventional mangoes are sprayed and also heat treated. i always buy organic to be safe. i buy a case of 8-10 big organic mangoes for $9. i save so much money by buying straight from the distributor!

• as for garlic's ability to be consumes, it's actually a very healing food in moderation. it lowers hypertension and cholesterol, as well as other heart related diseases. Also, its an antibiotic and anti-parasitic (prevents bug bites, etc). It's actually recommended to be eaten raw initially.

perfect quote, the whole excerpt MUST be read, it addresses all the "supposed health benefits"

"In other words, garlic is a powerful drug which results in the suppression of symptoms. But causes have not been removed and no healing has occurred. We have, in fact, halted the healing process when we suppress the symptoms."

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/junk-foods-garlic-and-onions/claimed-health-benefits.html

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Sv3 speaks for me too - sometimes we eat a lot of corn (especially in soups and corn chips). Sometimes we go weeks without eating it and then go "mmm, corn..."

I have studied some of the anti-garlic literature and not found it particularly convincing scientifically. Various cultures with medical traditions say various things. One I find interesting: Chinese Taoists are largely vegetarian but they recommend garlic for those who still eat meat because of the medicinal properties that counteract bacterial infection. They do not feel that it's necessary in a meatless diet. Ayurveda recommends garlic for the Vata dosha but not Pitta. Edgar Cayce recommended garlic for a number of health conditions. (Speaking of unscientific opinions...)

It is actually alkaline-forming, not acid-forming.

hi suasoria! in all those cases it's for treating symptoms. it's not finding out what is causing the problem and removing it. it's just another version of allopathy. i find ayurveda to be the opposite of science. just because it's been around for a long time doesn't make it correct. same goes for any kind of medicine, "natural" or not.

the following excerpts are written by natural hygienists. natural hygiene is great because it shows you that you have complete control of your health. you don't need doctors, medicine, herbal tinctures, or anything else for your health. your body possesses everything it needs. you just need to give it the proper food, environment and rest to nourish it.

"Why Herbs Can't 'Cure'

People who believe in the curative powers of herbs think that any disease or ailment can be relieved by the ingestion of the proper herbs in the correct amounts. Some herbs are to be boiled and steeped.

Others need grinding and powdering. Some herbs are to be taken in combination with other herbs.

Some herbs must be taken alone to "work" properly.

There are dozens and dozens of books that list herbal formulas for every conceivable illness. No matter what bothers us, the herbalists have a list of plants we can take to "cure" ourselves. So simple and so appealing.

Every herb has its own healing properties, its own virtues, its own potencies. Reading a book on herbs is like reading an encyclopedia of diseases and cures. No wonder herbology is so seductive. We need do nothing to change our living habits to regain our health; we only need to take this or that herb in some amount or combination.

There is no curing power in any herb. All healing power resides in the tissues of the individual. An herb can cure nothing. Herbs, like all drugs and poisons, are inert substances. They perform no actions. They stimulate no healing. They remove no cause of illness. They cannot rebuild the body. They are inactive and incapable of initiating any constructive action within the body.

But herbs do "work" in a certain way. When they are introduced into the body, the vital organism attempts to expel these poisons as quickly as possible. The body protects itself from drugging and poisoning, whether these poisons come from a pharmacist's shelf or from nature.

These protective efforts by the body are misinterpreted as beneficial actions of the herbs. For example, the herb called mandrake has long been used for liver ailments. When ingested, mandrake causes vomiting, purging, and griping. The herbalists view these reactions as beneficial; they say that the mandrake is causing the body to clean itself out.

What is actually occurring is that the body is making a heroic effort to expel the mandrake by any avenue possible. The purging and griping are signs of a vital organism trying to eject a poisonous substance. It is not a "curing crisis" brought on by the herb.

Different herbs may occasion different bodily reactions. Fevers, sweating, diarrhea, increased or decreased circulation are all signs of a body trying to eliminate herbal toxins and are not indications that an herb is working some cure or the other."

"Why Herbs Appear To Work

Even after people have been told about the harmful effects of herb taking, they often persist in the practice because they insist that the herbs are working and helping them. An elderly man of about ninety has dutifully swallowed a capsule containing an herbal laxative every day for the past several years. "It keeps me regular," is his only comment and justification for the herb-taking habit.

Herbs do have an effect on the human organism. There can be no question about that. When certain herbs are taken, headaches do disappear and constipation seems to vanish. Are the herbs "working" as the herbalists would have us believe?

In a discussion on herbs and their seeming ability to "cure," Dr. Shelton has stated:

"Only poisonous herbs are thought td have medicinal qualities. If an herbal substance does not occasion actions of expulsion and resistance when taken into the body or applied to it, it is not vested with any power to cure. If the body ejects the herb by vomiting, diarrhea, diuresis, or diaphoresis, and this is accompanied by some pain and discomfort, then the herb is regarded as beneficial and it is used to "work." If the patient then recovers in spite of the herb taking, full credit for recovery is given to the poisonous plant, and the self-healing power of the body is completely ignored.

Shelton and other Hygienists have stated that for any substance to have a so-called medicinal effect, like herbs do, it must be a poison. This is because the alleged medicinal effects of a substance are nothing more than the efforts of the body to expel and resist poisons. Herbs and other drugs, instead of being digested and utilized by the body, are expelled.

What does all of this mean? Let's take a simple case where an herb appears to do some work. Peppermint, a rather mild herb by most standards, is sometimes used to "cure" a headache by herbalists. Your head hurts, so you drink a cup of peppermint tea. Your head stops hurting. Did the peppermint work?

Yes and no. Most headaches are caused by swelling of the intracranial blood vessels around the scalp. These blood vessels swell because of toxic matter in the bloodstream and body, and they then press against sensitive nerves. When peppermint is taken, the body recognizes its oils as harmful. Circulation is rapidly increased by the body and the heart speeds up. At this point, the body is attempting to eliminate the peppermint toxins as quickly as possible by increasing circulation so elimination can proceed.

The increase in circulation, due to the toxic nature of the peppermint oils, has an effect on the swollen blood vessels in the head. The vessels are dilated so that the circulation can proceed rapidly and the peppermint poison can be eliminated. As a side result, the headache disappears temporarily.

So is the headache cured, and did the peppermint work? No, the body did all the work. It worked to eliminate a poison, and these efforts also masked the symptom of a toxic body

• kelly- where can you buy fruit in bulk? I've only ever been able to find dried things like nuts in bulk. Maybe it's because I live in Mass., where nobody grows mangoes?

hi lilburger! i talked to someone in the produce department at a local health food store and asked them who their supplier was. i got the name and phone number and called and set up an account. now i buy straight from them in bulk at wholesale prices.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

kelly thanks so much for your posts - they are always so informative and interesting to read. :)

you're welcome mikfizzle :)

I'm doing that for getting produce from now on because I'm paying too much - great idea! I looked into a distributor but they didnt' even have organic bananas (this is Philadelphia, too).

i was lucky enough to find an all organic distributor in portland. have you called the local health food stores to see who supplies their organic produce?

No, not yet, but there's a small health food store that I'm going to find out the answer to that question to. You need to ask for "distributor" or "supplier" or does it matter?

THANKS!!! This will help a lot, esp. if I can use my bf's car and get boxes of bananas (I normally walk, use canvas bags, can't carry too much).

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

I would say to anyone on this forum. Please, please, please, do your OWN research. Just taking one person's information as fact is never a good thing. Especially when it comes to food. There are tons of different sources, and tons of different people with different situations. For one person one food might not be a good thing. For another it would be a life-saver. I think finding your tendencies, see how you feel after you eat foods, will give you more information about whether you should eat it, than listening to one person on a website that has a very one-sided opinion because of their life experience. I eat on a raw diet, because I feel better, and I believe it is true, that the dairy, grain, etc is not best for the body. I've experienced that. I've felt and seen the difference. If you've felt and seen a difference with garlic, then so be it. Listen to that, not to one person's beliefs on whether it's good or not.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Luxdivon -- Very well said. Thank you!

• mdcmdc

I'll second luxdivon's notion that everyone must do their own due diligence and research. For everyone that says A there is someone else saying B. How to know what's right? Maybe for you, it's actually C. The great scientist experiments on himself. There's no "one right way" to be raw. Don't worry. Be happy. Do your best. And pay attention to how certain foods make you feel. And be assured that the human body is very tolerant of small--and large--deviations. Look at how many people eat SAD and aren't at death's door. Unless you're eating something that's truly poisonous (like raw black beans, certain mushrooms, etc.), you're probably not doing yourself any harm.

Do be careful as you experiment. If you are allergic to Poison Oak, you likely will not be able to eat mango. (Poor you, because they are so yummy!) As for garlic, you have to try it to see how you react. I use garlic in my broccoli salad and raw hummus for extra zing. Raw sweet corn is another delicious gift that I am fortunate enough to be able to eat with no ill effects. Who needs butter when you can eat raw corn off the cob? Chew it well or it will just pass thru undigested like whole flax seeds do.

Experiment on yourself. I tried a green the Tongans call ufi in my smoothie a couple of weeks ago because they were saying how good it is for you. It made me really ill. Maybe it's one of those things you have to cook? Never again, said my body. Okay, body, I replied. Listen to your body. :)

Wishing those in the US a safe and happy holiday weekend!