Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

So Angry!

LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Today my mom and i went to the doctors and talked to her about me being a raw vegan and it went totally fine. Other than the doctor saying that i need to get a source for protine she said that i am perfectly healthy. She is reccomending that i drink like a protine shake like spiruten. have any of you guys tried this? how do you guys get your protine?

Anyway this is what made me really angry. We wents to a local well known health food store to get some vitaman supplements for me and the woman in charge knew nothing about a raw vegan diet yet she told my mom that i will most likely get sick and die from being raw! She said that there was no way for anyone to live on a diet of completly raw foods and my poor my was freaking out. We had just had a really good talk and she was understanding and willing to compromise and work with me and then this woman told her that i am going to die because im not eating meat. >:( I am thinking to myself i am a member of a online community of people who are raw and they all seem to be in perfect health to me.

So i am wondering mainly how do you guys get your protine?

Spiruten - have you heard of it, do you drink it?

Do you take any vitaman supplements?

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

where would i get a raw hemp protein powder, are they expensive?

i did acutally make a few comments. i mentioned to her about how you can get nutrients from veggies and fruits and things like that and she totally blew it off. she also kept on making comments about how vegans were all underfed and had no nutrients. i kept on thinking if this is true and no one can survive on a diet like this than how is about three percent of the US population thriving on vegan diets.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Doctors are usually ignorant when it comes to diet, or they don't promote healthy living so they can continue to sell and benefit from sales of prescription drugs, or both. I would laugh in a doctor's face if they gave me diet advice. Really. And then I'd advise them.

You get protein from every single thing you eat. If you get enough calories, you get enough protein. It's not necessary to eat one specific thing that supposedly "has protein" because all whole foods do. If you want to supplement (it's not necessary), you can get sprouted rice protein powder from Sun Warrior.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Mikfizzle, it's such a shame that woman had to go throw a spanner in the works after a good appt with the doc. Ignore her ignorance and work on making sure your mum remembers what the doc said. I dont have any advice about Spiruten I'm afaid but wanted to express my sympathy with what happened. Good luck and don't loose faith.

• I totally feel your situation Mikfizzle. Although im much older and i dont have my parents telling me what i need to eat anymore (just my husband!! ) When i started to go raw, alot of people were curious, but alot of my friends making a comment on a facebook post told me - and i quote :"NOO! Your TOTALLY gonna die! Your gonna get so sick and get so many diseases like e coli. Please DONT do it."

Needless to say i took it all with a grain of salt (or flax seed!) It is unfortunate that she said that to your mom- but you need to remind your mom that the doctor was aware of your diet, told you her suggestion and told you both you were healthy. If she had some concerns i could see you having your mom more upset and have to work with her to see a holistic doctor etc, but she didnt, and you need to remind your mom that the women worked at a health store. Anybody with a pulse and the ability to get to work can get a job. She didnt need any qualifications to get that position, and most likely a very uneducated person could get that job. She is basically in retail - not a doctor.

Remind your mom of that!

And good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

It's pretty easy to get protein, like superfood said. everything you eat has it. i eat a lot of greens because they are abundant in protein. most people think that a food item has to be labelled with protein or has to be known as a protein source in order for it to count.

i don't think you need any supplements if you are eating a well rounded raw diet because nothing will add up to the nutrients in whole fruits and veggies. i haven't taken vitamins/supplements for a while and i'm totally fine.

I think the best site to show how well you're doing (or can do) is Fitday and put in what you're really eating, not what someone else suggests but what you actually do (assuming tracking/counting calories is okay for you).

Thanks so much everyone for your advice and support :)

See the main thing my mom is concerned with now is protein, i need like a list of acceptable raw foods that have protein that will satisfy her. She wants me to start drinking Spiru-tein which isnt even vegan...

has anyone here ever tried Vega?

http://sequelnaturals.com/en/vega

• Hemp Powder. It's the best form of protein out there for us.

• Mikfizzle, I second (or third:-) the hemp. I sprinkle a tablespoon or so on salads or in smoothies. It is a complete protein, and compared to other sources (that are not vegan or vegetarian even) it is VERY nutritious! I also like the taste. Quinoia is excellent too, but I personally don't care for it so much (but many people love it, so it's definately a good try.) I have never seen any articles listing down sides for it either. Here's a link to one list of nutritional info on it. But, you may want to check out the nutritional lists for the exact brand and type of hemp you use (I use the seeds).

So the nutritional info to your Mom, and she will stop worrying. http://www.innvista.com/health/foods/hemp/seedprot.htm

Just something to think about. Everyone has an opinion about diet, and many people are truly well meaning. But, unless I really want to hear their opinion on something, I don't give them more imformation than they need. It saves me a lot of hassle. I guess it sounds pretty sad- but

when I'm in the cashier's line at the store and they noticed how much fruit and veggies I have- I just tell them I like fresh fruits and veggies. Occasionally my husband will offer that I am a vegetarian (and were I live that can be scandelous enough:-) It's a shame, but especially since your young (people feel more of a compulsion to give you unwanted advice when your young- see, I'm doing it now:-) IF you aren't in the mood for a discussion, you may want to limit your info that you give out.

• Does she mean spirulina? I tablespoon has about 4g of protein. I add a few tablespoons to my shakes..kind of sweetens them a bit, but don't add too much or else it will taste a bit fishy. I second quinoa (a complete protein) and hemp powder. If you have a Trader Joes near you, they started selling some for cheap, though I'm not sure if it's raw. Amazon.com and Iherb.com are also great places to find these items for cheap.

Maybe you can start making raw power-bars? Once I get my dehydrator, the first thing I'm going to whip up is a raw "Probar" ! You can add nuts, grains (buckwheat crispies, for ex.) fruit, agave, flax seeds, hemp seeds, almond butter, etc. Maybe this will make your mom a little more confident in you getting enough calories, fats, and proteins.

Bananas have eight amino acids in them, I hear. You want to eat amino acids, not necessarily "protein."

• Spirutien is a powder that has spirulina in it as well as a myriad of other things in it including herbs and veggies, etc. But its has soy.

Alive powder has a non-soy protein powder from rice and peas and its filled with a ton of other stuff also, algaes, fruits, veggies, herbs, etc.

I bugs the shit out of me the way doctors (and everyone) always focus on the protein. Hey, how about focusing on the stuff Americans are actually DEFICIENT in, like minerals, vitamin D, etc.

It would be more difficult to NOt get enough protein since EVERYTHING has protein in it. How the hell did the COW get its protein.

• rawmamanibblesrawmamanibbles Raw Newbie

i like the hemp protine powder. my fav is the e3live/maca and the acai with the brazil nut powder in it too.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

A bit off the topic, but supplements and the so-called "superfoods" are sometimes recommended because our food today is mostly grown in soil that is depleted of many nutrients. No minerals in the soil? No minerals in the food. I have utmost faith in organic agriculture, but many of those growers are still in the process of nourishing the soil from the crummy dust it was before.

But, back to Mikifizzle: the fact that you still have questions about where to get protein indicates that you need to do more research on your diet, and by research I don't mean asking for opinions from people on a forum. Hemp, flax, spirulina are all high in protein. So is spinach. So is quinoa. And so on. There are many charts listing the grams of protein per serving of common foods.

If you want to supplement protein and other nutrients, try a green food powder. There are a number of them. Vitamineral Green is very good. Spirutein is inferior. It is not vegan and I believe it has sugar, but it's been a while since I looked it up.

All Vega products are great, though not all are 100% raw.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi suasoria! i definitely agree that our soils are depleted of minerals. that's why supplementing your diet with raw greens like lettuce is the best thing you can do! supplements should not be recommended because they are vitamins and minerals in inorganic forms. our body cannot use minerals from inorganic sources. plants are the only thing that can turn inorganic minerals into organic minerals. that's why it's great to supplement your diet with plant foods rich in organic minerals like greens. i posted something in another thread about inorganic minerals vs. organic minerals:

1. Minerals are inorganic as they exist naturally in the soil and water.

2. Minerals are organic as they exist in plants and animals.

3. Only plants can transform inorganic minerals into organic minerals.

4. Animals must eat plants or plant-eating animals to obtain their organic minerals.

5. Inorganic minerals are useless and injurious to the animal organism."

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/minerals/organic-and-inorganic-minerals.html

mikfizzle, i'm sorry for your frustration! eating raw is the healthiest thing you can do! you are definitely on the right path!

there is a myth that you need a lot of protein for optimal health. it doesn't help that the meat and dairy industry are spending millions and millions of dollars to propagate this myth. a few people have already mentioned this, but all fruits and veggies have a percentage of protein. a lot of fruits actually have the perfect percentage of protein.

we need protein for 2 reasons: growth and tissue repair. a growing baby needs more protein than full grown adults. a mother's breast milk only supplies somewhere around 2% of the calories from protein and that's for a growing baby. that should give you an idea as to how much protein we need as full grown adults. as far as tissue repair: as long as you are eating a healthful diet and introducing a minimal amount of toxins, your body will not need to continually replace tissue and repair like it would for the average SAD eater. also, protein is not a fuel source. it does not help with activity. carbohydrates are fuel. that's why you should eat a diet high in carbs, (fruits and veggies). if there is excess protein and not enough carbs, your body will break down the protein into a usable carbohydrate form. this process results in a loss of energy and a strain on the kidneys and liver. it also causes unhealthy weight loss due to the amount of energy used to break down the proteins. in the united states, protein is consumed in gross excess. it is very rare to have a true protein deficiency.

protein supplements are actually detrimental. they supply protein in excess and overwork the kidneys and liver. they supply protein in a completely unnatural isolated form and it throws your body out of balance while causing some nutritional deficiencies. fruits have the perfect ratios of water, fiber, fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. no protein is equal to the protein in whole, fresh, raw plant foods!

it is important to understand that amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. essential amino acids are amino acids that our body does not synthesize and that we need to get from food. our body synthesizes the rest of the amino acids on it's own. excess essential amino acids are deposited in a pool and withdrawn later when needed. so basically, you always have enough amino acids which are the building blocks of protein circulating in your body.

there is no need to worry about protein if you are eating a variety of fruits and veggies over the course of your life.

your mother worries because she cares, but she may not always know what is best. while it may make her feel more secure if you're on a protein supplement, it will not make your health any better. it is actually detrimental!

here is a list of the amino acids, their functions, and which foods contain them so that you can be sure you are getting everything you need:

ALANINE

• Here is a article that talks about "What Your Dietician Probably Doesn

thank you thank you thank you guys so much!

this information is so helpful - however my mom is concerned about hemp being considered to be a drug or something? she doesnt want me to fail a drug test or anything, could that happen if i started to take hemp for protein?

No, hemp doesn't have THC in it.

superfood2 what is THC?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

You might try Googling "hemp and THC" for some actual research on the subject. I found this one. I'm sure there are others that offer more than someone's opinion, but I have to finish getting ready for work, so I'm out of time this morning. Good luck.

http://www.naihc.org/hemp_information/content/THC_emp_drug_testing.html

Oh, I'm sorry. THC (forget what it stands for) is what is tested for in drug tests and found if you have used or been around marijuana. I have read poppy seeds may cause a positive THC test but not hemp.

From that link, it sounds like they added THC to the canola and hemp oil: "hemp/canola oil blends containing four different concentrations of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)." ?

If you look on some cereal boxes that have hemp in them, they usually say on the back that it won't cause a positive drug test, etc., because the THC level, if any, is minute/tiny.

I'd say that if drug tests are that sensitive that they can't correctly identify marijuana from hemp, then that's the test-makers' problem, not ours.....we shouldn't have to worry about eating hemp!

• ok I didn't read the rest of these posts...but I have not had a positve drug test while using hemp protein powder. I just wanted to get a little variety into my morning green smoothies and I bought it at whole foods for about 15 bucks. It comes in a green container with all the other protein powders in the supplement section of the store I went to. Good luck with your mom!

• I haven't read all the posts. I just want to recommend you to check: www.sunwarrior.com

They sell raw vegan protein.

Hope it helps!!

thanks for the information about hemp - and ill check that website strawberry!

the only thing that concerns me is the price, hemp powder seems to cost about 30-50$ every place i have looked at.

• You could probley find it cheaper online but I get hulled hemp seeds at whole foods in LA for about $22.

but I still say try eating more greens and sprouts or put them in your green smoothie for optimal consumption.

• http://www.iherb.com/Nutiva-Organic-Hemp-Protein-Fiber-16-oz-454-g/4705?at=0

$11.58 for 16oz of raw and organic hemp protein powder from iherb.com

if you end up buying that product or anything from iherb.com you can get $5 off your first purchase, just use code:

LOT401

shipping is very cheap, as low as 2.00 for usps

sorry for the shameless plug but I hope it might help!

i told my mom about the hemp protein and convinced her that if i buy it myself that i can hopefully drink it instead of the overpriced spiru-tein she bought.

• Here is a url for you

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ChidietRawFoodsBlog/~3/DlyW9-0-dtI/ann-wigmore-protein.htm

It is Ann Wigmore talking about how to get protein in your raw food diet. She has a heavy accent but is very good information. Your mom might like it too.