Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Deodorant for kids

Can any recommend a safe deodorant for a six year old girl?

Comments

• Why does a six year old girl need deodorant? She's not going through puberty already, is she?!

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

hi, no one should need deodorant if they are eating healthy. body odor is a sign that the body is unhealthy and has an accumulation of toxins. foul odor=foul body. the arm pits are an elimination channel. if you clog it with deodorant you can expect that another elimination channel will be overburdened.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think if she's eating healthy, she shouldn't want/be thinking about deodorant. Can you elaborate?

You can find some tea-tree oil deodorants (NOT anti-perspirant and please don't get that) and Thai crystal deodorant at health food stores and some drug stores.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I agree with Superfood. PLEASE don't let her use an antiperspirant. The Thai crystal deodorants are fantastic. I had no problem recommending them to my granddaughters.

• dnacol -

My daughter (age 10) started Oil Pulling with Sesame Oil.

She started in April of this year. It has helped her BO.

You can start Oil Pulling at the age of 5 and older.

However, I have noticed she has also increase her fruit and

green salad intake, since then as well.

EDIT:

If you do consider the OP, research it first, if you are not

familiar with it. If you decided to try this method with her,

make sure she does not swallow. It is okay if it happens

once in a while, but should not happen often. My dd does

it every morning now and has no problem doing it for

20 to 30 minutes.

The following is from "Oil Pulling Therapy" by Dr. Bruce Fife...

It is full of bacteria and toxins. You don't want that in your stomach.

If you inadvertently swallow a portion...it won't kill you...but avoid if possible.

Children can use 1-2 tsp. or whatever they feel comfortable using.

hi simply raw! i think the increase in fruit and greens might have been what helped. i know that's what got rid of all odors for me. i wouldn't recommend oil pulling as a cure because it is something that is addressing the symptoms, not the cause of the body odor. diet is what needs to be addressed and changed, not the actual symptoms, otherwise it's just another form of allopathy.

• Another alternative -

Here is a link for earth clinic with some

cures for body odor...

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/body_odor.html

• Well no I don't believe she is going through puberty, but yes she does have bo after she has been playing outsidefor a while..it just started! I understand that diet has a lot to do with it .. we don't eat a raw food diet and are in the process of introducing more raw fruits and vegetables. I just thought I would ask and see since I myself try to only use deodorant when I really need to. I am aware of the aluminum and thats why I haven't even considered that. Thanks simply raw, my husband just recently starting oil pulling and I will consider this when I get some sesame oil. It is harder to follow a raw food diet when you are on a limited budget. I would love to have fresh fruits and vegetables on hand at all time but they are way expensive at my grocery store!! I do what I can:)

• Hi .kelly. -

I fully agree with what you are saying. I also believe

the higher fruit and green salads did help my dd tremendously.

I was just offering other alternatives if needed.

simplyraw- :)

dnacol- you can save a ton of money by setting up an account with the local produce distributor and buying straight from them. call your local health food store and see who their supplier is and then call them. i save 35-50% buying this way. hope this helps!

• thanks kelly. I will try but I really don't have any health food stores. I live out in the country and produce stands sometimes are more expensive then the grocery store

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I'm also a little worried about a six year old needing deodorant, but I find that baking soda works really well for me, and obviously it's cheap. Just mix a little with water, and pat under the arms.

Some people find that their skin reacts to baking soda, so if you want to try this, you may want to try a little on the inside of her elbow first, to make sure she won't have a reaction.

• what exactly are your concerns?

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Just that most people experience body odor during puberty. Here's some food for thought from a doctor: http://www.healthynewage.com/back-to-school-tips.htm

I have also read about children who drank milk with hormones experiencing extremely early signs of puberty. Perhaps substituting seed or rice milk for cow's milk might be a cost-effective way to change your daughter's diet? Of course, I don't know whether you and your family consume dairy at all.

I'm not a doctor or an expert on hormones by any means; I just want all children to be as healthy as possible. I'm sure as her parent you have the best sense of what your daughter is going through.

• I am starting to think it has something to do with the milk she drinks. I am considering taking it out of her diet and see how she does. She does not have bo all the time, just when she plays a lot at pe. I have been researching online and have found many post where others small children experience this. My daughter is my #1 and yeah I don't have her on a raw food diet but I do try to prepare healthy meals that we can all agree on, I also have my eighteen year old sister living with me so its kinda difficult.

• You should use an all natural deodorant, there is one made especially for kids. Go to http://www.jvnaturals.com

• Actually before I cleaned up my diet I started using lemon juice and it actually ended up working better than regular deodorant. within a week I would sweat way less and never was stinky =-) so you can use this method for her.

• Chef ShuannaChef Shuanna Raw Newbie

I am sorry you having an issue with this. It can be frustrating. It seems as if a majority of people responding are being rather negative and seems (at least to me) that they are blaming you for this problem. I hope you dont take offense to some of those comments because I know I would have. Maybe I am overly sensitive but I dont handle people talking about how I need to raise MY daughter very well.

In my opinion 6 is pretty young. My daughter was around 8 when my ex husband brought it to my attention that my tiny off spring was due for some kind of deodorant. I will say from experience that it does seem to be the food I give her. She only has these problems when she is with her father and he has her on a vegetarian S.A.D diet. She is vegan with me but only vegetarian with her father. It's not even a healthy vegetarian diet....it's all take out and crap. I cant state in words how frustrated I get with him regarding her diet. I wouldnt put her on a raw diet even though Its my lifestyle. I feel I am strict enough with a vegan lifestyle and its her choice in the end. I do make sure she has room for her own opinion..I just ever so slightly shift it for her health. I am her mother and her health is my priority and responsibility.

I would just try a natural deodorant like Kiss my Face or Avalon. I stay away from Tom's of main because it's owned by the Colgate company and I do not support that company. You mentioned living in the country so you may have to buy it online at amazon.com or something. But hey...no biggie...you just get it delivered to your door! Dont feel bad for having to purchase deodorant for your daughter. It happens. Sadly children are approaching puberty at a younger and younger age due to the hormones they are putting in the foods they eat. It's horrible.

I understand that natural foods can be expensive...I have been vegan for 7 years and raw for a couple. I understand first hand the impact financially. I would of course recommend you introduce more raw foods into her diet. Slowly but surely you can do it. I can say say the raw diet makes me sweat more (significantly more) than eating cooked foods bu I have zero body odor. As for my daughter...she has B.O while she is with her father and then after a few days with me it goes away...saying that..I know diet impacts B.O.

Make whatever steps you can to introduce your spawn to more living foods (but you have to make an actual attempt) but dont let people make you feel guilty for not. Try one of the natural deodorants I mentioned..I think you'll have some luck!

Cheers and good health to you and your family!

• The best deodorant for kids of ANY age is hands down the new In Love Deodorant by inlovewithbodycare.com!! It gets rid of odor immediately and it lasts all day... it's all natural and on top of it, good for your childs body. I recommend this to EVERYONE!! They have a mens/boys label called Tough Love, and the womens/girls label is In Love.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

"Actually before I cleaned up my diet I started using lemon juice and it actually ended up working better than regular deodorant. within a week I would sweat way less and never was stinky =-) so you can use this method for her."

Doesn't it sting?

I saw them using cut lemons- rubbing them under their arms on a programme - Regency House Party- people lived like they did in the early 1800's for a few weeks.

• CeidrenCeidren Raw Superstar

Some people just mix coconut oil with baking soda for deodorant--probably more comfortable than lemon juice.

• greenwoodgreenwood Raw Newbie

I could imagine that wouldn't sting, yes. I use an organic one from a health shop with lavender in it.

• I wouldn't recommend I Love for kids - it contains grain alcohol, which gets absorbed into the skin, you know. (Hey -- that's why it's so popular....).

And I also nix JV naturals. Honestly, I despise companies that market to moms freaked out over harmful ingredients-and rightly so-only to promptly try to sell them another harmful product! Polysorbate is a big no-no in my book! Look at what EWG has to say about it.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=705137

Also, those crystals - like someone said, the only thing different from aluminum chloride is the size? I wouldn't take that chance.

I have been using Tom's aluminum free for like 30 years, since back when it didn't work, and now, it does, even in the swamps of Florida, lol. I don't care who it is owned by. It is harmless, and it works. Who owns it is the last of my considerations. Of course, in a perfect world.... But in the meantime, my family's health comes first.

• thank you all for your suggestions! Has anyone ever heard of crystal essence? their website is www.thecrystal.com anyways, I bought that recently and it smells great. I just hope its safer then what I was using!