Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What to do with nut "pulp"?

germin8germin8 Raw Master

Hi all,

It’s not often that I make raw almond milk. But, I’m going to make this alfredo sauce that uses almond milk. So, what do I do with the almond “pulp” that is left in the cheesecloth? Any good recipes? I’m thinking of adding them to coconut macaroons. Does anyone know if this almond “pulp” would be a good substitute for recipes that call for raw almond flour? I’d probably dehdrate it and grind it.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

you can use it to thicken shakes, make rice substitutes for nori wraps and those chocolate cupcakes on this site where a dream!!!

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Coconut macaroons are my all-time favorite use for almond pulp! I do like to use it in flax crackers, too.

And it’s not just a substitute for almond flour, it’s the real thing! It takes a lot of sifting to get regular blended almonds to be in such a fine texture as the pulp will produce, so using the dried pulp instead adds a really refined texture to recipes. I like how very efficient it is, too, since you get both the milk AND the flour out of your almond purchase.

To make almond flour, just dehydrate the pulp until completely dry and then grind in in a coffee or spice grinder. Be sure to use it quickly or freeze it, though – in my experience, it goes bad pretty easily.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Really! WOW, so that IS how you make almond flour. I’m excited now… because I saw a lot of recipes in a few books I have that call for almond flour. I wasn’t about to go buy some! Thanks. I was at a Japanese restaurant this last week (on business) and I had avocado sushi… it was so good, and I wanted to make raw ones! Yummmm. I think almond pulp would make a good pie crust ingredient too. Thanks for the input.

• jenny2052jenny2052 Raw Newbie

Yay! It is the best ingredient. I don’t know what I would do without it, so I’m very glad there’s a post-September source for raw almonds!

Do keep in mind that (like everything), the pulp will shrink a LOT when it dehydrates. If you ever end up with not quite enough flour for a recipe, you can always make it the other way: grinding up regular almonds in a blender or food processor. That’s all the store-bought kind is anyway. And it’s so much fresher if you make it at home with either method! Have fun!

• If I wanted to use my almond pulp for a pie crust, do I need to add anything to it or just press it into the pan?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I would add dates. Maybe even some coconut.

I tried it with nori rolls… added young coconut and avocado. Yum!

• jenny—what post september source for raw almonds???

• My Mixed Berry Sherbert is a great recipe using almond pulp.

• Most pie crust recipes call for some kind of ground nut and coconut oil, refrigerated, to firm it up. Spices are nice additions too.

• im surprised no one has said this yet .. but i use my almond pulp for cereal with its milk :D i throw in some raisins, chopped dates, bananas, strawberries, blue berries topped off with hemp seeds .. its to die for! you should try it!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

That sounds so good, magdi. I will! :o)