Spaghetti Squash

Hey guys! :)

So last night my mom and i went to giant eagle and bought a Spaghetti Squash, and i was going to make it this weekend for us for supper.

We have never tried one before but from what i have heard it comes out pretty similar to pasta.

However when i was looking on how to prepare the squash it says to boil it or put it in the microwave.

can you eat the spaghetti squash raw or will it harm you.

also what are some of your favorite raw spaghetti sauce recipes - i just found this one from ani phyo and i think it looks interesting. has anyone tried it?

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/zucchini-ribbons-with-raw-tomato-marinara

oh and any other tips on actually preparing the pasta itself would be greatly appricated.

thanks again

Comments

• Hey Mikfizzle. I have tried before to eat it raw like spaghetti and the inside just wouldn't come out. I was using the "scraping with a fork method" by cutting it in half and then trying to scrpe out the inner strandy part. It was nothing like what I remember from doing this with cooked spaghetti squash and I personally didn't think it tasted very good. Maybe you'll have better luck!

• Hello!

So the thing with spaghetti squash is that it looks like spaghetti afterrrr you cook it. Its just like any other squash before you cook it, but after you do, the insides become REALLY stringy and exactly like pasta. Thats when you have to scrape it out gently and everything. I'm sorry though, finding out something has to be cooked can be really disappointing.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Okay well i tried the spaghetti squash raw last night, and it was pretty good! :)

I just cut it horizontaly with a knife then scraped the insides out with a fork, and it came out more of like a rice. I made some homemade sauce (i just posted the recipe) and it was pretty good! The only thing is that it took a while to get all the squash all out.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i personally don't like spaghetti squash raw. i like it MUCH better cooked. it's actually really good and know i want some. haha

i love ani phyo's recipe. it's the only one i'll use.

joannabanana i found that after i ate the spaghetti squash i felt a little queasy.. hmm.. i dont know if ill be trying it again.

• Perhaps dehydrating it for a while would soften it and warm it? (If you have a dehydrator)

Or dipping it in some hot (but far from boiling) water for the same effect?

I'd like to try spaghetti squash soon too, so I'm curious about your experience! Thanks for posting...

Karina i think i might get another squash and try your idea bout the hot water. Ill let you know :)

• Mikfizzle: I got queasy after eating butternut squash. I'm hesitant to try it again (It is my favourite cooked squash) Let me know if you get queasy again when you try the spaghetti squash again.