Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Severe dry skin...

hello me again :)

my schools prom was a couple weeks ago so to prepare i ended up going tanning which i am very against, and i usd jergens natural glow. my skin recently has become very dry and peely and bumpy and i have been exfoliating and moisturizing but i think i need something stronger than what im using. i was thinking some kind of oil would be best, but i wanted to see what your thoughts were and if you guys had any suggestions on products that are inexpensive that i could pick up close by.

thanks

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Milkfizzle~ Did you read the ingredients on the label of that bottle of Jergens???

Our skin is the largest organ of the body... Whatever you put on it, is absorbed and circulates throughout your tissues and organs not missing a single cell...

A good rule of thumb is... If you wouldn't eat it, then don't rub it on... smile

Have you read any of the previous forums??? BTW, I use coconut oil after bathing...

site doubled up..

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I also ascribe to the "If it doesn't belong in my mouth, it doesn't belong on my skin" idea. I use either coconut oil or olive oil.

• kellyannekellyanne Raw Newbie

i agree with waterbaby and emtpdmom. i personally would only use water. eat a ton of juicy fruit and your skin will become hydrated :)

Perhaps it would be helpful for me to be more specific. After showering, and WITHOUT drying off, I apply my "moisturizer" of choice for the day (coconut or olive oil). I then allow my body to air dry. If I don't have time to completely air dry, I gently pat my body dry. The idea is to leave as much of the water on my body as possible so the moisturizer can seal it in. I should also mention that I have a chlorine, etc. filter on my shower, so the water is cleaner than regular tap water.

If anyone has a recommendation for a super shower filter that does a really thorough job of cleaning up the water, please do share. I'd like to "up" the quality of my filter. I'm currently in rental property, so installing a system is out of the question. For the moment, I'm stuck with what I can add to the shower head.

• I have eczema and very dry skin.

coconut oil, cocoa butter, olive oil, avocado oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, hemp butter/oil, shea butter. I have all those things and mix and match to make lotions and butters to moisturize.

One of the main things I do that REALLY makes a difference is to mist pure water onto my skin first, then put on the oil/moisturizer. In my pure water, I add aloe vera gel, rose water, GSE. It's really the water your skin wants to hydrate, so it makes a big dfference to mist that on first then seal it in with the oil. If i just use water, it evaporates and takes away what little moisture I have and makes it worse. The oils and butters seal in that water for me and soothe away any pain or itching.

When I was in Hawaii my skin acted like a normal person and I never had to butter up after hydrating in the ocean. Aahhh, I love humidity.

Ahhhh the rejuvenating qualities of the Ocean, works every time... smile

Pirawna~ I must say you have made a great spray, I do believe I will give it a try... Thanks for sharing!!!

To try and mimic the ocean water, I put unprocessed sea salt, baking soda, magnesium sulfate and iodine in my bath, then I soak for 15 minutes before bathing... Heavenly, then the coconut seals in all that goodness!!!

• macanoogiemacanoogie Raw Newbie

Hi Pirawna - what is GSE? Thanks!

oil can seem to be very moisturizing but it will make your body produce less of it's own oil which will cause even more drying of the skin.

also, your skin is one of the biggest elimination organs. clogging it with oil is dangerous.

"If we obstruct the free flow of effete matter from the skin in any way, we cause the sewer lines of the body to become clogged with poisons backing up into the main channels.

Clients must be made aware of the need for cleanliness and for keeping the pores open in order to maintain this important eliminating organ as a vital functioning unit. Intelligent choice of clothing and cleanliness is a part of proper skin maintenance."

http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/nutrition-and-the-skin/functions-of-the-skin.html

hi pirawna! it might help your eczema to not use any kind of product on your skin. eczema is a sign that your body has an accumulation of toxins and it's trying to dispose of them. putting more stuff on your skin will make it even harder for your body to rid itself of toxins. eczema is related to diet. are you eating plenty of fruits and veggies?

Kelly~ OMG, are you kidding me?!?!?! Did you read the link or did you just copy and paste???

MacANoogie~ GSE= Grapefruit Seed Extract

gse is grapefruit seed extract. a lot of people use it as a remedy for candida and ezcema, but it is actually detrimental. it puts more toxins in the body that it needs to rid itself of. plus, the way they produce GSE is completely unnatural. it's a very long process in which they take leftover grapefruit pulp and use a chemical process to change the natural compounds into synthetic compounds. they use synthetic ammonium chloride as one of the chemical catalysts in the process. after all the processing, GSE is far from natural, it's synthetic and that is why it can't be labeled organic.

here's a few good write-ups about it:

http://www.baselinenutritionals.com/ingredients/grapefruit_seed_extract_safety.htm

http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutgse.html

Kelly -- Thank you for the link. I found it quite enlightening. However, I was not able to find any mention of the judicious use of natural oils clogging the pores of one's skin. The quote you provide, while interesting, comes from the section which discusses wearing appropriate, less restrictive clothing. The sentences immediately preceding your first quote read:

"We should wear not only more appropriate clothing, but we should also wear less clothing. If we wish to maintain a well-nourished skin, we should also bathe frequently and change all undergarments at least once a day. Females should bathe the vaginal area following urination and males the penis. While orifices are self-cleaning within, their external surfaces are not.

Simply standing or sitting before an open window or in a passageway with free air passage without clothing for thirty minutes a day will help the eliminative process. If we obstruct the free flow of effete matter from the skin in any way, we cause the sewer lines of the body to become (logged (sic) with poisons backing up into the main channels."

The next paragraph discusses the dangers encountered by "persons who have painted their bodies to produce a dramatic cosmetic effect." Surely you are not suggesting that coconut and olive oils are in the same category as cosmetic paints.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the logic that jumps from wearing less restrictive clothing and not painting one's body. . . to natural oils clogging the pores of our skin.

hi emptdmom. i know it doesn't address oils, but i found it a good quote because it shows you that even just tight clothing can be detrimental. if tight clothing is detrimental than what would that make putting on a layer of fatty oils directly on the skin? i read something great about it recently, but i've been reading so many books lately that i can't remember which book it's in. i have no agenda, i'm just trying to help so that someone doesn't clog one of their largest elimination organs.

people keep mentioning that they use oil to seal in moisture. that makes sense, but it also seals your skin so that it can't eliminate.

if you guys want to use oils, that's fine, but i don't think it's right to recommend them to someone that is learning about health.

Kelly~ YOUR words~" people keep mentioning that they use oil to seal in moisture. that makes sense, but it also seals your skin so that it can't eliminate." ( Seals your skin so that it can't eliminate) What is your source???

"if you guys want to use oils, that's fine, but i don't think it's right to recommend them to someone that is learning about health." FYI~ I did not recommend anything to anyone, I stated what I do, period...

.Kelly.~ You have been a member for one week and six days, that's the only information on your profile... Would you please let us know who you are and what are your credentials??? It would be nice if you put this info on your profile for future members to get to know you as well...

my source is common sense and experience. when you use oils and fats (oils are 100% fat) it makes something water proof, on both sides. i know this is a vegan site and i hate to use this as an example, but think about how people used to spread fat/oils on leather so that it would be waterproof. wouldn't that make sense that if you cover your body with fat it wouldn't be able to breathe or sweat properly? it clogs your pores.

i used to use coconut oil every time i got out of the shower. when i started doing this i got really bad acne. it's because i was clogging my skin so it found another way of eliminating, through acne on my face. your body needs to eliminate. it will find any way possible. if you are interrupting one way of elimination then you will be overburdening another.

my only intention on this site was to help people. i used to be on this site a long time ago. i listened to everyone's advice on this site and i ended up with a candida overgrowth. after that i quit this site and listened to my intuition and followed a low-fat raw vegan diet. i am healthier than ever and i just wanted to help people so that they don't make the same miserable, costly mistakes i made.

is it a requirement that you have to have credentials on this site to give advice? i could have a medical degree and that wouldn't matter, because conventional medicine knows nothing about curing.

as i said, i have no agenda. i have not tried to sell anything on this site. yes, i have recommended books because i think that reading and gaining knowledge for one's self is the smartest thing you can do, and i've also recommended buying them used because they are cheaper and better for the environment. i have not told anyone to go see this doctor, go buy this super food, go to this website and say kelly sent you, or to go use this product because i know that the body has everything it needs to cure itself and to have perfect health. we just need to nourish it properly and quit interrupting its natural processes.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

My personal experience with coconut oil: When I get an acne breakout, I put coconut oil on it, and it goes away *much* faster than without. (Even faster than a prescription I used to use for decades.) I have never had it cause acne. I, personally, have found coconut oil to be a bit drying on it's own. Great for acne, but not as moisturizing as I would prefer elsewhere. For that reason, I use a combination of oils: Currently avocado, coconut, and palm. I have also sometimes used macadamia, and jojoba in the mix. I found the avocado alone to be too oily, takes to long to 'soak in'. I have found the coconut oil helps with that.

My 2 cents from personal experience.

Age rank and serial number is all I'm interested in... You could be a 15yr old Jr. High student or a 60 yr old with a PHD, it doesn't matter... What matters is when one states something is dangerous without a source... It also matters if "one" has little experiences then "we" might want to take their advise with a grain of salt... No offense just caution...

It is also just good manners when you edit your comments, it should be noted as such...

This is a raw vegan sharing site and that's what we are doing... If you want to "save" people from candida because that is your experience, then that is wonderful... Also YOUR comment about the body having everything it needs to cure it's self is correct, IMHO...

Being formally educated as well as using life skills are an advantage; many of us have been successful at curing many and major illness by sharing our raw vegan experiences...

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Thanks everyone for your advice, my skin is still so very dry it looks so gross!

Any idea on where i could buy rosewater?

Mikfizzle, I am able to purchase rosewater at my small local health store. If you live near a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I would think they would carry it. What are you using in the mean time? If nothing else, I personally would use some olive or coconut oil just to get the healing process started. There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I hope you find a good solution that works for you. Good luck!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

All i have is baby oil so that what im using at the moment even though its not ideal. :(

I dont live near a trader joes (though i wish i did!) but there are two health stores, not whole food stores about 15 minutes away that ill check. I also think there is a jersulaem food market, would they have something like that there possibly?

• Kelly, I have had my skin problem since I was two years old. If I went w/o any moisturizer, I would end up in the hospital and in so much pain and looking like a leper!! Even a skin infection that leads to cellulitis. Been there done that. Very dangerous for me to not use any moisturizer. I discovered tthat natural oils are GREAT for my skin. A miraculous difference. I make my moisturizers myself now. I dry brush, and just started the raw eating which also has made a HUGE differnce. Get those greens in!

I put coconut oil on my face even, and I never get acne from it. It has improved my skin. People have started to comment on how nice my skin looks. So I am afraid I would have to disagree about the natural oils on the skin being bad. I believe that jojoba and shea and coconut, etc are beneficial.

I DO think the lotions like Jergens and Baby oil can be detrimental.

So, all I can say is since I started water misting, using natural butters and oils and getting in all my fresh fruit and greens, it has been so much better for me after 40 years of suffering. If I ever get to the perfect point where I don't need any moisturizer, Hallelujah! But guess I aint there yet.