Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

fine fermented friends!

so this past week i started my first batch of raw saurkraut and cucumber relish (thanks to zucchini breath's amazing recipes on this site).

i love learning new ways to make food and i think fermentation is fascinating and sexy!

however, now i'm wondering what to do with all this fun new food?

what's your favorite way to use raw kraut or relish? let me know!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I have never made raw kraut, but i put raw relish on nut/veggies burgers all the time. or i use it as a topping for crackers.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Just eat it as a vegetable side dish or top a salad with it instead of a dressing... Have it for a snack, the probiotics are wonderful for your colon... Everyone needs a healthy colon for great digestion and nutrient absorption...

edit~ I vacuum sealed mine into canning jars so I didn't have to over eat it all at once.... smile

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I made kim chi this week. ZOMG it's so. good.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I need to do more experimenting in this area..The first Kimchi I ever made was great, just a tad salty..But my gut felt "whee!". haha No other way to describe it. I just felt healthy and like I absorbed more. More energetic..anyway..I eat it as a side, with live moo-shu, on a salad or on pulp burgers. Endless possibilities!

• hey waterbaby,

how do you do the vacuum sealing?

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Semperfey -- I'm obviously not Waterbaby, but both she and I use a Food Saver and have dialogued about it here on GoneRaw. You might want to do a forum search for Food Saver OR for vacuum seal. There are a number of threads on the topic. Here are two fairly brief discussions that may give you enough information for the moment.

http://www.goneraw.com/node/15142

http://www.goneraw.com/node/18615

• fascinating! thanks for the links!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

semperfey I purchased the stainless steel V2960 Food Saver, it allows you to select normal or gentle as well as moist or dry... I LOVE it and use it everyday!!!

When I went online to the Food Saver.com site I decided to purchase both the reg and wide mouth sealing lids and some of the containers... This model works wonderfully and am happy it lays flat and/or sits up on it's back making room on the counter... I use the glass canning jars for storage as I don't want to use the plastic bags... I did buy their containers which are plastic but seldom do I use them... Don't buy the flat stackable square ones as they don't hold their seal... The canister containers work nicely, their tops are slightly domed and have a button, about the size of a pencil eraser, to press to release the vacuum... When I make my green veggie smoothie it is enough for two lunches so pour half into a quart wide mouth canning jar, making sure not to fill above the curve of the shoulder then vacuum seal on gentle and moist and store in refrigerator for the next day...

Beside storing the kim chee, I dehydrated tomatoes, apples, pears, seedless grapes and then vacuumed them into quart wide mouth canning jars and stored on shelves or in the cabinet....

I purchase seeds and nuts in bulk and have them vacuumed into half gallon wide mouth canning jars stored on shelves...

I put whole blackberries, seeded grapes, blueberries, peach quarters, bananas, and strawberries into quart wide mouth canning jars, vacuumed them and put them into the freezer... Works great!!!

I use my sealer as much as I use my blender, if not more...

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions... smile

• thanks waterbaby! great info! i will definately be looking into that kitchen tool.

• I am too lazy/intimidated/scared to make my own kraut as of yet, but I ADORE Bubbies raw kraut and go through a jar a week. I mix the juice with avo and it makes a gorgeous tangy salad dressing. Can't get enough.

• oh pirawna,

you should try it. it was so easy! the recipe on this site is so simple and easy to follow. and it tastes great in a just a few days. and nothing tastes better than something you've made yourself!

• Speaking of new ways to make food...I have started sprouting..you should try it..it's SUPER SEXY.

And especially sexy when you mix Kim Chi with the sprouts. mmmmmmmm

• hell yes to sprouting! i usually just eat mine plain. haven't tried to make kimchi yet, but sounds good.