Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Hehe :)

LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Today has been a very good day for me so far.

Friday i went out and bought Ani Phyo's first book (which i highly reccomend!)

Anyway i have a three day weekend this week because of memorial day so i have been walking about 2 miles every morning as the sun rises, then juicing then doing some yoga. So i have been oh so relaxed. Well this morning i got up to go walking and my mom was online (on amazon actually) and she told me she ordered me a spiralizer, ani phyo's dessert book and some raw sea kelp noodles. My birthday is coming up soon and she is already paying for my drivers classes so i told her that she shouldnt have done that and she said "whatever helps you on your raw transistion."

i thought that was really cool of my mom to do that, especially because she bought me mantioba raw protein powder yesterday (which is yummy i had some this morning!) and some vitamins, so i just had to share. i hope you guys dont mind!

now i cant wait till my spiralizer gets here because i have a feeling that i am going to be using it often!

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Mikfizzle, you are so lucky your mother is learning to go with your raw lifestyle. I love Ani's books, too. What recipes have you made? I haven't bought her new dessert book yet so you'll have to tell me how it is.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

The only things i have tried from her so far are the pasta sauce and the red pepper corn salsa which was so good! It said that it served four but i just mixed it up with some spinich and ate the whole thing. :)

• FeeFee Raw Master

Ani's Book is FANTASTIC! I have made loads of things from it. I recommend the garden burgers and the pecan pie and the bread for a start. I am planning to make the raspberry chocolate cake from her dessert book this week. Enjoy your spiralizer. Im so glad that your mum is being supportive towards your new diet. My mum is supportive too but I don't live with her any more. Maybe she will enjoy your new raw creations too. My partner is enjoying more and more of mine the more raw I am. Oh a good dessert to make is raw apple pie - I have fed that to my parents, my partner and to his mum and they have all loved it.

Hugs Fiona

I was actually wondering if the sun burgers were good because boy do they look yummy! Are they fairly easy to prepare, do you have any suggestions for how to serve them or make them better? I was thinking these might be great for me on the 4th of july when everyone else is eating their regular burgers. I saw the video of Ani making the apple pie and it looks delicious!!! I cant wait till the stuff ships i wish i could look at it now.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Hi Mikfizzle,

My non-raw other half actually requested the sun burgers yesterday - madly I didnt have the ingredients in! I took them to a pot luck too and to make them all the same size I measured out 1/4 of a cup of mix. When it was firmly packed in it came out really nice and round. I then squashed them a little bit to thin them out. They looked all the same then which was nice. The burgers are really easy to make and go well with the catsup recipe in the book. I look forward to hearing how you get on with them. Im off to get sunflower seeds tomorrow so I can make so soon.

Today I made the ice kream sandwiches from her dessert book. The lime bars ice cream is so so rich and creamy, and the carob walnuts cookies were yummy. My other half had requested these when I got the book (Just from the picture I think!) and he was most put out when I said I liked it and he didnt get to eat mine too!

Fee i will definatly have to try to make the ice kream sandwhiches once i get my copy of the book! :) One thing i was wondering with serving sizes in her first book when it says for example the pepper salsa serves 4 is it okay to eat a whole batch myself? I dont want to overeat things but i think it would be alright to eat as much of that as i please because its all veggies. Thanks

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

The sun burgers are so delicious!! I warmed mine in the dehydrator and served them with raw relish, sliced onions, and sliced tomatoes. I ate them with a raw bread recipe I made up, but I've heard everyone likes her sesame bread. My other favorite recipe in her book is the vanilla nut mylk. My gosh. It's the best nut mylk I've ever had. You totally have to use vanilla bean for it because it's so fun to see all the black spots in your mylk!!

I don't think it's bad to eat all the salsa. I mean, if it's just veggies, who cares?? I personally eat as many fruits and veggies as I want.

• I too, love the sun burgers, but I usually make 6 or 8 burgers instead of 4 - 1/4 of the recipe is too much for me.

Tonight, I made her Mango Crisp - I made it with 3C mangoes and 3C pitted fresh cherries - it was AMAZING! I actually came onto this site tonight just to rave about it. My other favourite from her book is the garden pate - I like to throw in extra raisins and a little less garlic - then throw it on a bed of spinach. It is also great if you make it into a little patty and eat it like a burger.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Cool! Enjoy the books. I may bug you to post recipes! :)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I'm so happy for you Mcfizzle! Your mom has really come around and it's great to see she supports you!

thanks guys!

suasoria - no problem, ill post any recipes you fancy just ask away :p

silystarfish - that sounds so yummy! i might have to try that. i was actually thinking about making the garden pate this weekend.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Id go with how much you want on the servings - sometimes I find books say serves 4 and I make about half and it still does me 4 meals, other say serves 4 and I only get to meal out of it. It all depends upon how much you need for yourself, we are all different as much as the governments would like us all to eat the same and require exactly the same about of calories etc.

The burger recipe also makes a fantastic mushroom stuffing. I made half the recipe yesterday and made 3 burgers (using my handy burger press this time so they look very professional) and stuffed two large mushrooms. I dehydrated the lot for about 5 hours and had the mushrroms for tea - delicious. I had one burger straight from the fridge tonight and the other two I will dehydrate for another hour or so tomorrow as I am preparing a raw lunch for a non-raw vegan friend.

I made the chocolate raspberry fudge ganache cake for a tea party yesterday and served it to some non-raw friends. It went down very well. However seeing as there were only 5 of us and I had also made a banana-walnut loaf, carrot and raisin cup cakes and a vanilla sponge (all vegan) there is a lot left (how sad!!) and so I will be serving that up tomorrow lunch.

Hope your books have arrived - Im so impatient when I am waiting for a recipe book to arrive.

• Fee - using the burger for stuffing sounds fantastic! I am trying to love raw mushrooms - I LOVE eating them cooked, but so far, just can't get into eating them raw, I keep trying, and I think I'm going to have to try stuffing them with the burgers. Thank you!

Fee i actually had the same thought about using the sun burgers to stuff peppers! I thought they would be wonderful as a thanksgiving meal for my mom and me :) my books havent arrived yet and my oringal copy of anis raw kitchen fell apart! the recipe pictures are falling out and so are some of the other pages so i have to take it back to borders and exchange it. The kelp noodles and the book are both on there way so lets hope they get here soon! I cant wait to experiment.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

How cool for you! :~)

I like Ani Phyo's first book, too. I don't have the dessert one yet, but considering it. My mouth waters every time more folks talk about it here!! LOL.

• Oh, you changed your avatar. It threw me off. I'm glad your mum is coming around. I love Ani's book (the first one).

My faves so far that I can think of off hand...

*The brazilnut broccoli mash is AWESOME with the portobellow "steak".

*The breakfast scramble was good.

*The butternut squash cranberry "rice" is great with coconut oil added.

*Black Sesame Bread

• Yummy, yum, yum! Reading all these posts makes me want to go right out and buy her books. Thanks for sharing, everyone! :-)

They came!!!

Well my sea kelp noodles and my spiralizer came but im still waiting on the book.

yay :) looks like i have some yummy things to make for dinner this weekend.

• FeeFee Raw Master

Im really sorry to hear your book fell apart - thats terrible, I hope they exchanged it with no problems. I have lent my copy to a friend today who is interested in eating raw. I served the burgers for her with the sundried tomato catsup (she took the rest of the jar home!) and roastly veg from Evies Kitchen (By Shazzie). She also loved the chocolate raspberry ganache cake which we had for afternoon tea in the garden. Even more exciting is she is going to bring a friend who is interested in going raw for me to do a raw food demo! Stuffing peppers with the burger mix sounds like a great idea too. I'll have to try that soon.

Sillystarfish - I put some Braggs in to the portabello mushrooms first (how much? A squirt in each) and then added the burger mix and then dehydrated for about 4 hours. They were just like cooked mushrooms it was unreal. Im sure you would like them like that.

I had the best dinner last night, i tried the sea kelp noodles and they were so yummy!

I had them with my homemade sauce recipe and some spinich and mushrooms and boy was it good i ate three bowls. the only thing is was that the noodles were a little bit crunchy even after i soaked them in warm water. any tips on this anyone? thanks :)

fee - i was looking at the chocolate ganache cake and it looked amazing! that is so neat that you have some people to go on your raw adventure with you. i would love to find some raw vegan friends around here.

• For the kelp noodles, soak them in water (doesn't need to be warm) with the juice of one lemon fore about 15 minutes, gives it a pasta-y constisency, instead of crunchy.

thanks pixiechik!

is it possible to soak the noodles for too long? i know it says to store them in water but i dont want them to get mushy or anything. also do you know how long they will keep in the fridge after you open them? thanks for answering all my questions :)

• Nah, I don't think so, I have soaked them overnight (with lemon) and they will get pretty soft, but not mushy or soggy. You definitely want to keep them in plain water, though, all the time, they will not soften. I've kept an open package for 4 or 5 days, and they were fine. If they dry out they are weird and unusable.