Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

less calories vs more calories

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I am trying to lose 5-10lbs and was wondering would I lose more weight If I eat less calories 1700-1800 calories (not raw nor vegan like I used to) or more calories, like 2200 raw vegan, mostly fruits & vegetables, with 1/2 avocado/day.

I've heard that "a calorie is a calories, it doesn't matter where it comes from". But I kind of doubt that. Has anyone had experience with that?

Do calories count when you eat a low fat raw vegan diet?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

You know, AVL, I eat more now than I did as a cooked food eater and feel/look much healthier. On my cooked food diet, I ate about 1500-1800 calories a day, and now I eat 2200-2500. I only tracked my calories for a week when I first went raw, so it could be a little less or more depending on the day. I have gained weight since becoming a vegan last year (about 10 lbs), but I am so much stronger and more muscular now. I looked too gangly and unhealthy on a cooked food diet.

I don't think all calories are the same. As long as you are eating when you're hungry and you aren't overduing it on the fat, you should lose weight. You also have to take into account how much you are moving around and exercising. At might height and weight, I burn 1300 calories just sitting all day. Have you entered your daily food intake into a nutrition diary? It really helped me see where my calories were coming from. I used www.fitday.com.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I've been hearing this "calories are calories" argument on and off for a few months and I think it's leading people down a very slippery path to disease. Calories from animal fat should be avoided. Calories from plant foods are good. Plan B will be far more beneficial.

I never count calories, points, fats, or anything else.

• I disagree that calories are calories. Someone can consume way less calories with all that fat-free and low-fat refined and processed crap out there and lose less weight than someone consuming more calories of nutrient and enzyme rich foods.

I watch it happen wiht a woman I work with. She freaks out on the things I eat or the calories on the PURE bar and wonders why she won't lose more weight with her refined empty low cal foods.

• I think calories are calories. That's why people lose weight on crazy fad diets. It's all about energy in and energy out. So, from a strict weightloss standpoint it doesn't matter where the calories come from. From a health standpoint it does matter. What you eat matters for the heart, kidneys, liver... It also matters for long term health.

That's why some people gain weight eating raw--caloric intake. But as Joannabanana said, she feels stronger and healthier eating raw despite the initial weight gain.

Do you want to eat raw to accomplish your short term goal of losing 5-10 pounds or are you aiming to change your lifestyle? Do you think it's necessary to eat either a low-fat vegan or raw diet? Why either/or? I guess it's all about what you want. If it's about losing weight, I suggest you use a program that gives you your recommended caloric intake. Then decide how many calories you want to consume based on that recommendation (reducing 3500 calories a week will allow you lose 1 pound a week).

This question is something I struggle with as well. I want/need to lose weight. I want it to come naturally without thinking about counting calories. I'm giving raw a chance with the knowledge that it is by far the healthiest way to love my body.

• J AJ A

Well, I've been eating between around 3000 kcal and 4000 kcal / day for quite a few months yet there's very little fat on my body. I have acquired quite some muscle though, even without any real excercise (I don't own a car so I do a bit of walking and ride my bike and play with the kids but that's about it). I'm 6' tall and weigh around 140 lbs. It seems I can eat loads and loads of raw foods (primarily sweet fruits) without gaining weight other than putting on some muscle. 4000 kcal is supposed to be way over what I should eat, for real athletes only, yet I have no trouble consuming all that food. I do have days when I eat less than 3000 kcal but mostly I'll down anything between 5-10 bananas, two or three mangos, right now when there are fresh water melons I'll have one or two big ones a day and then of course 2-3 quarts of green smoothie.

I just fed my yesterday's food in Cron-o-meter and it told me I had 3601 kcal (90/06/04). It's funny to look at the vitamins and minerals in Cron-o-meter - the percentages run in the hundreds, sometimes in the thousands (Vitamin A 1867%, Vitamin C 1994%, lol!).

I did experiment with less food in April (maybe 2000 - 2500 kcal / day) and had some positive results, felt lighter and maybe more energetic - though the energy would come and go in a weird manner, it was real difficult to tell when I would have energy and when not. Now I feel more stable and the one thing I know I need to do something about is more excercise.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

A calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie.

I supposedly need about 2,200 to maintain my weight, yet as a raw low-fat vegan, I do about 2,000 (rarely) to 3,500 (most of the time) calories a day. I 'should' be gaining weight, but I'm not. I'm just becoming more beautiful.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

You know a calorie is not a calorie when someone drinks a coke every day as opposed to a few bananas every day. Just see which one gains weight.

• There's truth to both those arguments. You have to think that your body needs certain types of foods to absorb vitamins and make enzymes needed for proper nutrition. You shouldn't really need to count calories if you are eating a raw diet because you are strictly eating high- net gain foods which means your body is processing them for maximum use as long as you are eating the proper amounts of carbs, proteins and fats. It also really depends on how active you are. Obviously the more active, the more calories you will need to consume in order to have sustained energy levels. And if you are working out regularlly, the first thing you would prob gain muscle before you lose fat, so it's typical to gain a few before you lose a few.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Wow, there's so many different answers...I don't know what to do! I guess it does make sense that by eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, my body will get rid of all unecessary water weight and it maight make me look less bloated. I guess if you compare 2 people who eat the same number of calories, but ones calories come from fat and sugar and the other ones calories come from high quality foods, the one who eats better will probably look thinner.

I guess my goal is to lose a bit of weight (5-10lbs) and to feel good about myself. I have been trying to make the transition for the past 3 weeks, and I must say some days are better than others. Today was NOT a good day at all, I ate a lot of cooked foods. I now feel heavy and bloated and wish that I hadn't eaten them. I mean, they weren't considered "bad" foods, they were pretty healthy, but they were cooked and probably more starch than what I am now used to. I just want tomorrow to come so I can start fresh again. My kitchen is stocked with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, so I have no excuse.

• AVL, I have been there and felt the same way! I think you are right in just letting it be and waiting for tomorrow. I did the same thing last night and I had the WORST stomach ache and I just felt gross. When I got up this morning, I remembered how I was feeling and I made way better decisions! I just finished eating a huge salad loaded with fesh veggies and my mood is great:) Are you looking to lose weight strictly by eating or are you also planning on exercising? Yoga, if you don't already do it, is a great way to build muscle and stretch and to release those toxins stored in your muscles. But make sure you drink water or coconut water to hydrate and cleanse the toxins away!

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

KMcR

So far I've been eating well today, with lots of veggies and fruit. So hopefully I will keep it up the rest of the day. My worst time is in the evening. However I still feel bloated with water retention today which is making me feel fat. So hopefully by tomorrow I will feel better.

I do exercise every day. I do an hour of cardio in the morning, either by running 10km or jumping rope for 1 hour. I also do weights 2 or 3 times a week. Also I drink tons of water every day so that's not a problem.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

KMCR i am currently starting to practice yoga, and thinking of getting more DVD's/books. Do you have any that you could reccomend to me? There are so many different on the market! Thanks :)

• AVL, I have noticed my increased amounts of bell peppers and cucumber are making me feel 'heavy' because they are loaded with water themselves. I know I also feel that way right around the time I am going to get my period too which is extra annoying.

And something that has helped me with workouts is that I have started making a smoothie with dates (the body uses the simple carbs in them right away for energy instead of storing it) and other fruits or coconut water and bringing it to the gym while I run. I couldn't believe how much better I felt when I took small sips of that instead of water. I usually felt fatigued around mile 3 but now I keep running with a steady amount of energy!

A book that has really helped me understand nutrition and exercise has been the Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier. He's a vegan iron man triathlete from Vancouver. I have a feeling people are going to think I am selling it or something because I always write about it! He does a really good job at explaining how your body processess food and what fruits and vegetables are good for certain vitamins and nutrients. There are a bunch of recipies in the back and they give vegan and raw options. It's what got me interested in a raw diet really. I haven't followed it to the extent like I have wanted to (like last nights feast!) but I def. have lost weight and feel better about eating.

• AVL- I just realized you are in Ontario. I am currently living in Belleville, couple hours east of you:)

• mikfizzle- I haven't done many dvd's for exercise as I am one of those people who finds something else to do in the house other than exercise. The only dvd I have purchased and liked was actually Windsor Pilates. It's really easy to follow and you can feel it in your core.

As far as yoga goes, I usually go to classes. I currently have a membership at my local YMCA and I am not too impressed with the quality of the yoga there, but my body gets mad when it's not stretched. I use to do hot yoga a couple of times a week and that has been the BEST exercise my body has ever felt. It is so challenging and I have never felt better. Even if you are a newbie, the yoga culture is soooooo excepting and all instructors I have ever encountered have helped people make sure they were in the right position.

I wish I new of more videos for you... I bet if you started a new post other members would have some great ideas!!!

KMcR actually that post was quite helpful! I want to actually take a yoga class but they dont offer any around here, and the one they do offer is at like 7 in the morning and its 10.00. What is hot yoga, i have never heard of it before :)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

KMcR,

I never thought about putting dates in my smoothies! That sounds really good, it would taste nice a sweet. I'll have to try it.

Ya you are pretty "close" to me (compared to most people in this forum).

Btw, another crappy night. I went to my friend's house after dinner (a nice raw vegan dinner) and since she's pregnant she like to eat a lot of sweet foods, so she had a bowl of cereal, so I had some too. I mixed Vector cereal with Cherrios, a small box of raisins and chocolate chips. Talk about a mix! But it was sooooooo good...I had 2 bowls. But once again I feel guitly and bloated. OMG, tomorrow will be better. I'm pretty good during the week because I only go to work and then go home and I don't have any temptations, but on the weekends I visit my mom and my friends and there's so much good food (I mean good in taste) that it's hard to resist. For once I want Monday to come so I can just get back on track. Tomorrow's my friend's baby shower so I'm sure there will be tons of food there. But I'll make sure to eat lunch before going so I won't be tempted to eat there.

• Mikfizzle- I did a search in your area and I did find this list of possible yoga places but I am not sure how far you want to go or what is close to you. http://www.yogacabana.com/yoga.b.507.g.35.html

Also, hot yoga is practicing in a room thats heated from 95-105 degrees. You sweat out all the toxins stored in your muscles and I promise you, if you can find a place that offers it, it is well worth the try. I get migraines when my body temp is too high so I was afraid to do it (because you aren't allowed to leave the room if you are too hot, something about temp calibration) but once I sucked it up and tried it, I was hooked. The only reason i did get a headache was because I didn't drink enough water afterwards!

AVL- My husband does the Vector mix all the time! He has a ridiculous sweet tooth and I always find myself salavating over what he has! Like last night when he sat down with 2 slices of blueberry cheesecake! (I had a bite!) We had a funeral for his grandpa last weekend and I found myself eating egg salad finger sandwhiches... I felt guilty afterwards but I just thought to myself, tomorrow is another day! I try and make some sweet tasting smoothies or fruit bars and keep them out so that I can have that sweet treat when he eats ice cream! I felt really proud of myself this morning though when we went to Starbucks and Chapters and he got a pumpkin scone and I declined! I felt so good about saying no that I went to the cookbook section and scoped some raw books and I looked at all the yummy food in there. I was pretty pleased with my will power this morning!

KMcR thank you so much for searching for that for me!

Unfortunatly none of those places are near me, all are 2 or more hours away except for the one in youngstown so i emailed them and am hoping that they can give me some information. The hott yoga sounds amazing though! If you dont mind me asking how much is it for one class at your studio? Thanks :)

• Mikfizzle- It was usually $15 for a drop in class but they give you a break in price if you buy them in like a 10 pack. I know my studio did $120 for unlimited classes in a month which was awesome! They usually are decently priced. I think you are right in emailing a studio to ask if they know of a good place or have suggestions!

• Check out the 80:10:10 diet (or 811rv) online for recipe ideas. It will likely boost your weight loss.