Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I'm about to cry

2»

Comments

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I can't add much except:

Even though I only "know" you from this site, I know you are an incredibly strong, giving, upbeat person. The fact that this upset you as much as it did makes ME upset!!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

aww, sausoria that is so sweet! Thank you! That is so encouraging.

I think I should mention that that guy and I are back on track and it's all good. Thank you everyone.

• Hi TJAB, I am glad things are sorted cos I went to work having looked at your original post and I was so upset that you had such grief, it's so awful. Its true though, that it is his stuff and not you that's the problem, but its all too easy to take it all on board.

All i can say is that if you look anything like your piccy, then you are an advert for raw food, and frankly, you should be in there juicing stuff in front of all of your work colleagues, they may learn a thing or two from you.

(PS if anyone has already written anything similar, apologies, i have had a long day and only saw the original post)

good luck mate!

• u should meet my family...they don't just give me weird looks..i know how that feels, they literally try to force their unhealthy food down my throat. And am like just because you choose to eat this way, doesn't mean i have to do the same. They tease me saying things like, there is no difference between you and a goat..meaning i eat raw...its annoying..but i deal with it by just ignoring them. but to be honest some of these comments get to me.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I've posted this on another thread, but I'll say it again anyway! I work with a guy that loves to tease me, he's a very sad eater. He really is just playing around because we're friends. He's a couple of years younger than me, but I always tell him after he makes fun of what I eat, "I sure will miss you when I outlive you by 20 years !"

I vaguely remember an old, old Saturday night live skit where John Belushi is dancing on the graves of his old friends......

• So many great points and responses in this thread... I started making a list of all the ones I wanted to mention in appreciation, but with every comment I read it just got more and more ridiculous (in length).

I'm not a raw eater/vegan (try as I might I can't stay away from eggs and chicken) but as an avid water faster, I can completely empathise with your "wierd lifestyle" problems.

I NEVER tell my aquaintences that I fast because, unless they're going to do days and days of research into its benifits (which I can't expect/force them to do), fasting really does sound like a stupidly insane and severely unhealthy concept that comes with all kinds of negative connotations (vanity, disordered eating, general "wierdness").

Sometimes it's so hard to stay strong to your beliefs when they horrify everyone else, but that's the same with any minority; people of different sexualities, religions, appearances, IQ's, hobbies, dress sense, social habits, philosiphies, etc. It has always been, and probably always will be a conflict people will struggle with, because it's human nature to conform- but every human's different!

Luckily, there always has been, and always will be- SUCH a simple solution!! One that I think has been fantasticly literated on this message board.

We just have to remember to forget other peoples negativity, if we don't let it mean anything, it won't mean anything! A positive attitude or reaction or thought is all you'll ever need! think back to biology- what counteracts negative? positive.

I think the BEST summer-up-erers are Heloise, MDC, Ofthesea and Katrinafirebreather, but honestly- thankyou so much for everyone who contributed... this thread really made my day.

Lol, Sorry it's such a ramble... you all just got me so inspired ;p

• Hey, Troub, Sorry to hear about the stress and non acceptance at work. I'd just like to urge you to protect yourself more from these people- like if someone at work gives you "the look", just smile back or ignore them, or else by initiating a conversation, or offering your food they might think you are looking for validation from them. That kind of puts you in a vulnerable "one down" position, which I think some office workers react to like a pack of hyenas. I bet it bothered you so much 'cause you saw this guy as sort of a sympathic friend in the first place. But please guard your heart and feelings from unkind people!

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I'm just reading The Four Agreements and would highly recommend it to anyone. The second Agreement is 'Don't take anything personally'. This book is a really good read and I hope to gain enormously from the wise words.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

here's my recent humiliating work story: I had been running over my lunch hours, and eating lunch late at my desk. The one day i brought in that thai cole slaw off of this site (so good fyi) and my boss was in the cubicle next to mine complaining about something smelling like feet or cabbage. I jovially said 'oh thats me, im a little ripe today'. The next day, he comes into my cube hands me a stick of deodorant and tells me I need it. You would think that this was some type of joke (mean or not) but then there was a formal complaint made against me for my lack of personal hygiene with hr. So there is my lesson- do not bring stinky food into work. I felt like crap for days, b/c people just need to mind their own business. I don't complain about smokers or people eating ramen noodles...

It was nice to read this thread and know that Im not alone. thanks guys! :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

oh wichten, that really sucks. Although I've taken a fair bit of ribbing from my colleagues in the past, they would never be like that. They cook all kinds of rubbish in the microwave which often stinks to high heaven so they don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to my food. Its sad that people have to be so mean.