Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Alternatives to mayo...

hi guys :)

i just wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions on substutions for mayo.

Ive never really been crazy about it and neither has my mom, but i go through so much carrot pulp i would love to make something with it. I was thinking a mock tuna. But all of the recipes that I have seen on here call for a mayo or a raw vegan version of it made with nuts, which i really dont eat to much of.

suggestions are wanted, and if you have any recipes using carrot pulp let me know!

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't have a nut-free mayo for you, but I would definitely make a raw carrot cake with that pulp! Yum. There are countless recipes.....probably some on this site, too.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

Oh, this sounds good, too. I wonder if you can leave the nuts out.

http://goneraw.com/recipe/carrot-bread

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I don't have an actual recipe for you cause I just eyeball it and make it by taste, but I make a fabulous avocado mayo (no nuts!) I use a Vitamix and blend up one, maybe 2 avo's and to that I add a couple tablespoons or so of olive oil (makes it nice and mild/creamy), and I also add a good couple tablespoons of lemon juice. The lemon juice thins it out a tad but not too much, it's also just enough so the stuff won't turn brown at all. Then I add the seasonings - salt, sometimes garlic or onion (just a touch). It's pretty versatile, you can add whatever herbs to it to vary the taste. Anyhow, it's really good, great on sammiches/wraps and what not. It's worth a try if you are looking for a mayo minus nuts!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Mikfizzle~ real mayo is made in a blender with one egg the juice of a lemon and a cup of oil... so why not start with chia seed, on their website there is a recipe for egg substitute using water and 1 TB chia seed then add the juice of one lemon and use a cup of EVOO that you slowly pour into the blender while it's running...

It might be 1/4 dup water and 1 teaspoon chia seed instead of tablespoon... Or use any thickening agent you have... smile

Hope this helps, wish I could remember how much water to the chia for the substitute... Sorry!!!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Oooooooh good idea! I didn't even think of trying to make a mayo that way!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

coconutty - thank you so much for suggesting to use and avocado - i have three in the fridge that i have to eat soon!

waterbaby - ive never heard of using chia seeds but luckily we just got some free samples of them when we ordered my raw sea kelp noodles.

i will have to try both of these soon :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I had the same issue with the mock tuna recipes so I made my own

http://goneraw.com/recipe/another-mock-tuna

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I've sometimes used just plain smashed avocado for mayo. If they are ripe enough, they are creamy enough to spread quite well. :~)

It only works well for things you will eat right away, though! Otherwise, you would need some lemon or lime added to keep it from turning brown, as was mentioned already.

Suasoria i did find that recipe when I was searching, the only thing for me is that I dont eat too many nuts. Im wishing more and more I had time to play around in my kitchen and figure out a nice alternative, but i wont have any free time until school lets out on Thursday! I think that my best bet would be to try an avocado. But would i just mash it then like add EVOO a little salt, lemon juice then blend it in a mixer? Thanks :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I think blending is optional. coconutty mentioned blending, but for me, I find I do not like the taste/texture of blended avocado. To me, it breaks it down to a very greasy oily texture. I think just smashing it some, gives a creamy buttery texture, and I prefer that, myself.

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Mikfizzle, if you have lots of carrot pulp, you've got to try the carrot crackers on this site. They are amazing!

http://goneraw.com/node/6388

sv3 i would love to make crackers or something but unfortunatly i am lacking a dehydrator :(

I really want to try to make a avocado mayo but im just not sure on the best way to go about it and i sure dont want to waste an avocado. whenever i seem to just mash my avocados i can never get them creamy enough they are always just a little lumpy. Does anyone have any tips on how to really mash an avocado?

• How about blending the avocado in a food processor? I always get a creamy consistency when I blend my avocados.

I found a couple avocado mayo recipes, but they still call for nuts.

Avocado Mayo

Posted in RawGuru's most recent newsletter

2 ripe avocados

1.5 tbs. lemon juice

2 pinches Celtic Sea Salt

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Mikfizzle~ if they are ripe enough, they will spread with a knife like soft butter. I just use a fork, or a miniature potato masher; no lumps. If they are still too firm for that, then you might need to go ahead and use the blender or food processor. I would just pulse and check, pulse and check, until it gets where you want it, so it doesn't over process.

thanks for the tips pixx!

last night for dinner i tried an avocado with some salsa i made the night before and the avocado was so smooth and creamy - perfect for some homemade mayo. I think ill try to make it this weekend!! : )

• pixxpixx Raw Master

You are quite welcome! Yes, when they are ripe, they are wonderfully creamy! Let us know how it goes!