Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nuts and Seeds

For those of you who are trying to loose a bit of weight, have you found it beneficial to just get your fats from seeds and cut out or greatly limit your consumption of nuts? Are there any differences between how your body reacts to the two or are they pretty much the same?

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think if you're eating any fats, avocados and coconut should be your first choice(s).

• Oh yes yes yes...love avacado and coconut. But I am asking specifically about nuts vs seeds.

• I was wondering the same thing!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

My apologies. I don't have an answer with regard to that! :)

• My line of thinking is an ounce of nuts maybe 2 or 3 times per week, OR a bit of avocado OR fresh coconut instead. I think fat is necessary for health, but I also think it wreaks havoc on health in excess. Fat is high in calories, so factored into your diet, in a limited amount, I think is benefitial nutritionally, but get most of your calories from fresh fruits, greens and green smoothies, and vegetables (raw or lightly steamed, without oil). As far as my experience goes, nuts and seeds are both equally difficult to digest and cause weight gain (and tummy ache and lethargy) if eaten all the time in excess. But the same goes for any type of fat source, be it avocado or coconut or oil. So enjoy these, but limit them to 2-3 times a week, an ounce of nuts or seeds in a serving, or 1/2 little avocado or 1/4 large avocado, etc. You get my drift.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

I personally have more trouble with nuts too. They are harder on my tummy, plus they're super expensive. Sunflower seeds work really well as a nut substitute too. I love flax and chia b/c they really help to regulate your digestive tract. Some of that chia gel in a smoothie or as a pudding does wonders for me.

• Hey Lu! Yeah that is usually my approach to eating...listen to my body, my likes and dislikes, and eat what feels right. I believe that trusting your body will inevitably lead you in the right direction. Thanks for the reminder! Tahini is my love as well. I make a sick lemon herb tahini dressing out of shallots/basil/lemon/parsley/garlic/shoyu/tahini. I'll post it in the recipe area at some point.

• sure do! represent yo!

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I do much better with seeds than I do with nuts. Not only do I feel better, but my weight will fluctuate to the upper end when i am eating nuts and to the lower when eating seeds. I can do just about everything I need to with seeds. I have quit keeping nuts around and just have sunflowers, pumpkin, chia and sesame.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I agree with the seeds, I do MUCH better on them and find I don't eat as many since I usually eat plain and not processed into anything. I love Hemp seeds, but chia,pumkin, sunflower and pine nuts are also great.

In fact the GI reactions I've had the last few times I've had any tree nuts is making me wonder if that is among my food sensitivies(being tested this summer). I've been keeping track of what bothers GI and nuts are an issue. It sort of stinks because I would love to find more Raw recipe books that don't focus on nuts so much.