Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nut Milk Bags-- what do you use?

Hello,

I want to buy a nut-milk bag but there are a lot of various types and sizes. Can you please tell me your favorite kind?

Comments

• I know there are lots of different kinds out there. I bought a large one from www.rawfoodworld.com when I was ordering some other stuff. It's the only one I've ever had, so I don't have a comparison, but I like it a lot. The top is big enough to fold over the rim of a large glass pyrex measuring pitcher.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

great Belinda,

Thanks =)

• You are most welcome. I looked at all the health food stores around here, but no one sold them. I would have rather walked into one of them and just bought it, but I had to buy one online.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

I've had the same experience. None of the health food stores around here have them-- nor do their staff know what I am talking about-- It would be nice to forego the shipping costs!

• I know. At one very large health food store, they looked at me like I had three heads. LOL The shipping on the site I mentioned is prohibitive for just this one item, but when I added it to an order I was already placing, it didn't increase it. You will want to shop around online for a seller with cheaper shipping. If you google "nut milk bag", you'll find lots of sellers.

• I tried to find them in my local health food stores and had the same problem. Then I read something by Carmella from The Sunny Raw Kitchen and she uses paint straining bags that you can find at a paint supply store or at Home Depot (I got mine at Home Depot). They are nylon and come in two sizes. I got the smaller ones. One package has 2 bags in it and was around $3! So that's $3 for 2 bags! I just cleaned it really well in hot soapy water before using and it has worked wonderfully thus far.

• i have only ever used cheese cloth. typically it is easier to find and works pretty well. it helps to have someone help you keep the corners up. i work at a health food store and we don't have nut milk bags specifically but we have sprouting bags that would work just fine so you can check that out too.

• MishimooMishimoo Raw Newbie

I use these, they are four for $24 and I use them for sprouting and for straining nut milks.

http://www.amazon.com/4-Nut-Milk-Bags-Improved/dp/B00158S4WC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1243983112&sr=8-3

Highly recommend them.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Look in a brewing supply store for straining bags; they're a fraction of the price of "nut milk bags" and seem to be identical. I don't trust paint straining ones, as there's no assurance that they're safe for food.

• I like my round-bottom one from Natural Zing (instead of a square-shaped bag) -- easy to use 'cause the shape is perfect for straining. No messy corners.