Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Nut cravings

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Ok, so this is week 4 of my transition and I did awesome my first week. During my second week I had major bread cravings, last week was a mix of cravings. And this week is nut cravings. I don't know why since I do include fats in my diet. Two nights ago I made raw vegan brownies, make with walnuts, cacao powder, dates, vanilla extract. Well I ate the ENTIRE batch in less than an hour (that's 8 brownies). Tonight I decided that I was going to make more and freeze them, because I didn't want to eat them. I didn't really eat a lot, but I nibbled at it while I was making it, and I ate about 2Tbsp of almond butter, walnuts and a lot of dates too while I was "baking". So why am I craving such high fat foods?

Comments

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

AVL, I go through these weird cravings, too. The way I get rid of cravings are just succumbing to them. I don't like depriving myself of the food that I want so I just eat it. Like this past week, I've been craving tahini at every meal so that's what I've been having. Right now, I'm so sick of tahini and probably won't have it again for a whilte.

I think you'll eventually get sick of the nuts. I don't even want to look at tahini right now!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

AVL ~ It is normal, we all went through something similar... Green Smoothies will help calm your cravings... I'll tell you a little story, when I first started I craved bread something terrible... So every night with my dinner salad, which was huge I might add, I heated coconut oil with fresh garlic and dipped sprouted hemp bread into it... You talk about fulfill your wildest bread craving, wow o wow it was wonderful!!! Shortly, I no longer had the craving so I believe because I made the best of a bad meal, by my selection of ingredients and allowed myself to indulge as well as increase my green smoothies, it soon disappeared.. My bread craving that is...

Sorry about the rambling... As I'm wiping the drool from my chin thinking about those yummy warm pieces of garlic bread... YEEEEKS I need to stop, enough already!!! smile

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I have had similar cravings, but lately more for avocado or olives(I NEED to stay away from Olive bars somedays). I might crave nuts, if I hadn't figure out I think I have a major food sensitivity to them(stinks for raw recipes!!) so that craving isn't worth the pain.

If any cravings now last more than a few days I try to track what I am craving then what those foods have in common I must be missing. This approach has made things much easier the last 2-3 months.

Good luck!

• I am having a similar experience! I was drinking these wow-so-good green smoothies for about three weeks straight (I'm big on LOVING one thing and then HATING it after about a month of having mainly that food) which likely was good in some ways and then good to change it up afterwards. NOW my BIG addiction is: (get ready for it!)

olives and avocados and CORN from the COB and LEMON JUICE and tomatoes. JUST those things. mashed up, mixed up, seems not to matter, but there you have it. It's likely that I'm barking mad, because these things are so bizarre. oh, and then today I sprinkled sprouts and raw pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds and kale, and then I just about died it was so good....

hoooo boy, I'm ridiculous but satisfied!

My advice: go for what you're craving, but try to to make sure if it's your body telling you that you need it, or your mind playing games...

• AVL, are you firmiliar with the amount of fuel you are taking in? Transfering over to a RV diet/life style initally means you need to eat more than your cooked counter part. Nuts are high in calories, which is usually why we crave them. It could be more reasons, but it sounds like most of your cravings have been addiction/caloric cravings.

Up your sweet fruits, keep track of your daily food intake. In the beginning we have to be aware of the difference in our new and old diet. A lot of people will say eat what your body wants(cravings), don't worry about keeping track. Most likely you aren't firmiliar with what your body TRULY needs, just with what it wants. So keep track untill you understand yourself more!

With love

Jason

PS. There is a different between appetite(cravings) and true hunger!

• AVL- don't feel bad about it. Eating nuts is fairly healthy compared to eating potato chips. Just let your body get what it wants and soon you won't be craving anymore! I remember depriving myself of high fat and high calories and I blew up once and ate a whole cup of almond butter and felt awful about it. So then I fasted the next day and felt even worse. I've learn not to feel bad about what I eat and also not to deprive myself either. I guess my point is to not worry :)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Wow so much good advice. Thanks guys. I had so much of them last night that I felt SO SICK to my stomach, I actually thought I was going to be sick. So I'm ok today, but I'll try to eat more fruit in order not to crave starchy foods and nuts and I'll see if it makes a difference.