Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Cane Sugar!

ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

I am the only one completely shocked this exists? I always wondered what exactly is the problem with just sun drying the sugar and apparently it isn't, this is a link to an Italian company that imports organic sun dried cane sugar from Ecuador, most of the site is in Italian(and also the info on the sugar) but maybe they do deliveries or whatever, hope this will help some people.

http://www.altromercato.it/it/prodotti/ALI/A03/105/511/000072

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

this was very helpful thanks for posting the link - i bookmarked it : )

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I generally don't believe this product is raw and/or healthy. I'd have to see exactly waht the temperatures were and such. Better to eat fruit.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Well, I put it through babelfish, to be able to read it. It does mention heating it, but not to what temperature.

I doubt that it's considered truly "raw".

"The cultivation of the sugar cane demands much labor. The cutter separates the stem from the leaves and the extremity with the machete. After the spremitura the juice comes leaked and heated, therefore cooled in order to allow the solidification. The cooperative produces approximately 130-150 quintals the week. The production yield is of 1 ton of integral sugar from 12 tons of sugar cane."

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

• I agree with superfood and pixx. I don't think sugar can be raw. Does anyone have any thoughts on Rapadura? I know it isn't raw, but they say that it is unbleached and unrefined and organic... and that's all that I know.

• I saw raw cane sugar at trader joes.

• that's right! You don't need to question dates.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

Sugar cane, the cane (actually a grass), is awesome. If you've never had raw cane juice before you must try it.

I went to an event a few months ago where the only beverage being served was raw cane juice from these guys -

http://www.sugarcanejuice.org. It was phenomenal, but my friends and I were all ridiculously amped up at the end of the night!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

For the record "raw cane sugar" generally refers to minimally processed, unbleached cane sugar that is not "raw" as we use the word around goneraw, but is indeed heated during processing. You might see "raw" used in this way to label other items as well, such as raw cocoa butter (though truly "raw" cocoa butter is of course available through certain distributors).

If you get some sugarcane and juice it, you'll get a very watery, very sweet juice. I suspect that sugar cane juice, like maple sap, is just so watery that evaporating the water without using high temperatures is far too difficult and time-consuming to do on a large scale.