Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Benefits of greens and some vegetables

I got this in a raw newsletter that I found interesting and wanted to share :-}

Every plant is a miracle with the ability to pull a unique combination of elements from the soil, water, sunlight and air. When we find one possessing the right balance to satisfy our requirements of health and healing, we have found our miracle.

"There are two vital aspects of chlorophyll that should not be overlooked. First is its creation in the plant as a result of a conversion of the sun's energy-which makes it a sort of living battery. Second is its remarkable similarity to a vital component of human blood - hemoglobin. Circulating in the bloodstream, hemoglobin molecules carry oxygen to the cells throughout the body." Dr. Ann Wigmore, The Sprouting Book.

"Chlorophyll deserves a high place in the eliminative diet program because it is a fluid which helps clean the cell structure of the body. It has vital minerals to help build these structures with new cell life." Dr. Bernard Jensen, The Healing Power of Chlorophyll.

Below is a list of a variety of greens and their effects on the body. All of these greens contain an abundance of chlorophyll. Decide which are best for you so you can incorporate them into your juices and energy soup.

- Alfalfa Sprouts: Rich in vitamins (including vitamin U for peptic ulcers) and trace minerals, it also contains eight essential digestive enzymes and eight essential amino acids. It helps cleanse the kidneys and provides energy and endurance.

- Beets and Beet Greens: Very rich in vitamins A and C, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iodine and other trace minerals. This cultivated green is a powerful blood purifier and liver/gall bladder cleanser and is helpful with obesity. It also builds good blood.

- Buckwheat Greens: A wonderful building and cleansing food containing vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, niacin, pantothenic acid, many minerals including rutin (a natural longevity agent due to its antioxidant properties) and calcium. Buckwheat greens are especially helpful in circulatory and heart problems as they also contain lecithin, a natural cholesterol-lowering fatty acid. Buckwheat juice is best mixed with other sprout, green and vegetable juices to make green drinks.

- Lecithin is one of the derivatives of glycerin and is of value for cases of malnutrition, rickets, anemia, diabetes and tuberculosis. Lecithin helps in the structural support of all cells, especially of the brain and nerves. It is important in preventing and correcting atherosclerosis, causing cholesterol and neutral fats to be broken into microscopic particles so they can be easily utilized by the tissues.

- Cabbage and Cabbage Sprouts: Cabbage is a good source of vitamins A, C and U, along with the trace elements iodine and sulfur. Cabbage is good for the digestive tract and helps ulcers.

- Carrots: This king of vegetable juices is extremely high in pro-vitamin A, which the body converts to vitamin A. It also contains vitamins B, C, D, E and K, as well as calcium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium and trace minerals. The alkaline minerals contained in carrot juice, especially calcium and magnesium, help to soothe and tone the intestinal walls, plus strengthen bones and teeth. Skin, hair and nails benefit from its high protein and mineral content. Fresh carrot juice stimulates digestion and has a mild diuretic effect. Perhaps its most important contribution to body health is its tonic and cleansing effect on the liver. Through regular use, carrot juice helps the liver release stale bile and excess fats. When fat levels are reduced, cholesterol levels are reduced.

---- There is no such thing as a toxic dose of carrot juice. While it's true that it's possible to "overdose" on vitamin A, it's impossible to overdose on pro-vitamin A - the precursor to vitamin A that is found in abundance in carrot juice. Pro-vitamin A is converted to vitamin A in the body. Drinking more than five glasses of carrot juice per week may cause the skin to yellow slightly; however this is simply a manifestation of the toxins that the liver is excreting. To reduce these effects, simply decrease the dose of carrot juice. Mixed with other juices, especially sprout and green juices, carrot juice acts as a balancing element. It adds a delicious, sweet flavor to juice combinations and increases both their digestibility and nutritional value. As an overall tonic and rejuvenator, carrot juice can't be beat.

- Celery: It has a calming effect on the nervous system. This is probably due to its high concentration of organic alkaline minerals, especially sodium. The minerals contained in celery juice make the body's use of calcium more effective, balancing the blood's pH.

- Organic sodium, which is abundant in celery juice, has received a bad name because of the average American's habitual overuse of inorganic sodium chloride - table salt. Unlike inorganic sodium chloride, organic sodium found in celery juice is naturally blended with many other useful minerals. It is essential to the proper functioning of all major body systems. Organic sodium is the element in the blood that makes it salty. Because of its slightly salty taste, celery juice is an excellent component of any vegetable juice combination. Celery juice is especially effective for nervous conditions because it produces a calming effect. For weight reduction diets it curbs the desire for sweets.

- Comfrey: All parts of this plant can be used - root, leaves and flowers. Comfrey helps eliminate bloody urine. It is high in potassium, vitamin A and calcium. The allantoin in comfrey is the same ingredient that is contained in fractured bones and is often referred to as the "bone-knitter". It is also good in repairing nerve tissue.

- Dandelion Greens: Pick young tender leaves before the flowers have formed. Rich in vitamins A and C, minerals such as calcium, manganese, chlorine, potassium and iron. Acts as a tonic to the system. It destroys acids in the body. As it contains organic sodium, it is very good for anemia caused by a deficiency of nutritive salts and is recognized as a great blood builder and purifier. It is also effective as a liver cleanser. It is a gentle laxative and can therefore be used in a tea for babies and children.

- Lambs quarter: Pick young tender leaves before the flowers have formed. Very rich in calcium, phosphorus, vitamins A and C and the B vitamins thiamin, riboflavin and niacin. One of the best tasting of the wild edibles and is very common throughout the United States.

- Parsley: Rich in vitamin A, thiamin (B1), niacin (B3), C and the minerals calcium, chlorine, iron, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and sulfur. One of the best diuretics. Strengthens the kidneys, bladder and spleen, lowers blood pressure, cleanses the liver and strengthens the eyes.

- Purslane: Pick succulent leaves and stems from June until frost. Very rich in iron, calcium, vitamin A. This is a very good tasting wild edible green.

- Radish Sprouts: Rich in vitamins A and C and minerals, including trace minerals. This is a hot, spicy sprout and will heat up a cold body. The flavor is strong, so use sparingly. A good blood stimulator and cleanser. Powerful liver and kidney cleanser.

- Red Clover Sprouts: Has many of the properties in the dried adult plant, plus a host of living enzymes. Acts as a blood purifier in the body and helps relieve nervous disorders, skin problems, acne, etc. It is very cleansing to the body.

- Sunflower Greens: Sunflower sprouts do much to relieve malnutrition and to eliminate toxic poisons from the system. This is done mainly by providing the body with the nutrients needed and nature does the restoration work. The many vitamins and minerals in sprouts are at their highest peak of activity while sprouting.

- Other Healthy Edibles: Chicory, Malva, Shepard's Purse, Nasturtium, Mint, Sourgrass, Chickweed, Watercress, Fiddleheads, Rosehips, Plantain.

Comments

• Awesome info NancyK70! Thank you!

• Thanks for posting this, it was a good read:) VERY interesting!

This reminded me that I've been meaning to blend more varieties of greens into my green smoothies...especially Parsley, I've read a lot that indicates it's phenomenal...but, the greens are all phenomenal:)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Tabbycats, how does parsley taste in a smoothie? I only use spinach in my smoothies because it's mild.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Thank you for posting this - it was very interesting to read.

• joannabanana- My kids say parsley tastes like celery in green smoothies, it does a great job of keeping breath fresh.

I like different greens in smoothies so I don't get tired of the same ol same ol flavors. The house favorite seems to be the many different types of kale and chard (we grow it in the garden)

If you only like spinich because it's mild try mixing it with small amounts of other types of greens to get used to them just like a beginner green smoothie drinker :)

• mikfizzle-Just looked at your blog it looks great!!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

thank you nancy! : )

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Ohh, mustard greens are gross! I don't care what you do to them, they are just gross!!! lol. As for me liking sweet stuff: Sure! I eat raw honey off a spoon, sometimes daily! Funny the difference in taste buds- I hardly taste the chard in a smoothie at all, which is why I like to so. Collards, I prefer to mix with another green- they are a bit strong in a smoothie for me. I enjoy beet greens, and collards, juiced, rather than in smoothies. I don't add fruit to my green juices, though- just a bit of beet, or carrot. I tried apple in a green juice once- and UGH!! nope, not for me. :~)

• Very good write up. I LOVE parsley in my smoothies. I just love the fresh taste it imparts to everything. Same with celery.

I like cilantro in my smoothies when I do pineapple or kiwi.

Kale is fine but it gels everything up. I HATE that. Which is why I avoid blueberries in my smoothie a lot.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

joannabanana~ I use parsley in my smoothies- and hardly notice any flavor from it at all. Spinach, however, is waaaay too sweet for me, in a smoothie! (I do like it in salads, though.) I feel the spinach overpowers the fruit, and I would rather taste the fruit! (It's just too sickening sweet, to me; Kind of like comparing fresh fruit, to the kind that is canned in heavy syrup.) My fav green to use in a smoothie is chard.

If you have yet to try others, you should! And if you are hesitant, and since you like the taste of spinach in the smoothie- I back up what nancyk70 said: swap out only some of the spinach for other greens. I do that myself with the stronger tasting ones- such as curly kale- I often mix in other greens (parsley, if I have it!) to tone down the kale taste.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

pixx-you're not into sweet stuff are you!? haha. I could never use chard in a smoothie. The bitterness (even in the most mild chard) would be far to overpowering for me. I never taste the spinach in my green smoothies but mustard greens and even collard greens I can. I love using turnip greens.