Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Spirit Fest '09 in DC

Comments

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Any one here plan on going to the fest in DC, Aug 29-30th?

• I don't know if it's worth it. I'd like to see Doug Graham and then leave, but that's a long ways and a lot of money for one hour, or whatever.

I'll probably ride my bike down from Jersey, though, since it'll be the summer, and probably pretty nice out, good excuse for harder training!

• I didn't know it was going to be on the east coast this year.... but now that I do, I'm excited about it! I'd love to drive down and camp for a couple of nights, I think it would definitely be worth it. Just to prove to myself that there are other, actual people out there who love fruit as much as I do!

See you at the festie ;)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I think I might go for one of the days but I'm not positive quite yet. Will post here if I do!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I am also wondering if it is worth it. May just go for one day. Unfortunately, there is no program schedule online for the DC one, just the CA one. It's shorter than the one on the west coast. I would like to find out who will be there, and when!

Exactly, more info would help considering it's an outdoor event and $60/day or something like that. What inthe world are we paying for?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i am planning on it!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I would love to go! But unfortunatly my mom says that it wouldnt be worth it just to drive up there for one or two days. Do they have these every year? Because if so next year I can go up myself!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I think this is the first year to have one on the east coast, so I am not sure about next year. I'm going to guess it will have a lot to do with turn-out this year.

I emailed on Friday a.m. for more info on program/schedule, still waiting to hear back. They seriously can't expect people to travel and pay for lodging and entrance without more info.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Unfortunately, I wrote them the day I started this thread, and I have yet to hear back from them.

:~(

I was just told on the phone that their website will be updated by the end of this month as far as speakers/times/etc.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I would be interested in going ONLY if I could plan in advance and really know what is going on. That is when school starts back up again so if I'm taking a few hours to drive to DC and stay it needs to be REALLY worth it!!

I'm going to be in Mexico now on that date.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Well, I have written them on June 8th, and on July 6th. I have yet to hear anything. I also do not see that they have updated anything on the site (as was stated they would by the end of what is now *last* month.)

Do they even want folks to attend???

Very strange.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

yeah, i wish we knew who were coming on both days. i really want to go but don't have anyone to go with. i will probably take a bus there (from pittsburgh). it would be fun to meet some of you guys!!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I've been excitedly looking forward to it, myself, but ...well, frankly, I'm beginning to feel they are not on the ball....which makes me wonder, will it even be worthwhile? That's a lot of money for a weekend, if it's not going to be much there!!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Gee, I *finally* got a response from these folks! It's in reply to the email I sent last night. Third time's a charm, eh? Thing is, *this* time I sent my email to the "presenters" email address, rather than the one for "info". They're on the ball at that box, presumably because they still need presenters. Here is a snip of the reply:

-

"Tickets will be available online until week of the festival. You can purchase them at the door, but at a higher price, so we highly recommend purchasing online.

Our program schedule has not been finalized at this point in time, due to the fact that we are still finding and scheduling performers for this event! It will be absolutely fabulous though! Some names that we do know for sure would be: Samantha Sweetwater and Happy Oasis doing the opening ceremonies, and Chef BeLive. Our performances range from doctors, chefs, musicians and singers, dancing, conversation panels, etc. Its going to be quite an elaborate weekend!"

-

To me, this screams 'We still desperately need presenters!' Sad, since it's just over a month away. I also find it sad that all those folks presenting on the west coast can't bring themselves to come to this one?

• Pixx, I was wondering about the program schedule as well! I get their newsletter and, like you, noticed that the only information available concerned the venue itself, tickets and accomodations... Do you think it'll come together in the time remaining, and be a worthwhile trip? I'd love to have the opportunity of seeing presentations by all the leading edge speakers that are (expected) to be there, as it'd be my first. When I saw the title of this thread I was so excited, I thought perhaps someone else had more info on the festival than what was available on their website...

• pixxpixx Raw Master

"Do you think it'll come together in the time remaining, and be a worthwhile trip?"

I have no idea. I plan on writing them again in a couple weeks (if the site isn't showing any new info by then) and I will update here, if I hear anything.

• Pixx,

We volunteers are working very hard to make this non-profit festival come together in DC. If you had any idea how many people ask this same question on a daily basis... lol, with hundreds of new emails daily and a deadline to meet, with 5 stages, more than 80 speakers and performers, it takes a while to juggle the names across the board. *sigh*

Many are struggling to make ends meet in a tough economy and are slow to commit to signing a contract or buying a plane ticket. I cannot promise what days these people will be seen, but I've worked past my bedtime to extract names from our ever changing schedule. The scheduling is not my job. I am RSF East Coast Coordinator. I get the exciting job of picking out portapotties, canopies, and trash collections. I get to meet with electricians on site and hobble around on my crutches as they measure out the area for wiring. Mine is not a glamorous job, but I feel compelled to offer you something tangible. A list of names.

You will NOT find David Wolfe on this list, because he will be in Peru. The Boutenko family will still be in Russia(they didn't make it to Matt and Angela's Raw Union, either). The list of names are not in chronological order and does not include vendors. One vendor I will mention, however, is Natural Zing, the east coast's biggest, most affordable, raw, vegan, organic, online superstore.

Hear We Like It Raw Community Beat (don't worry, it's a fairly brief podcast):

http://tinyurl.com/wlir-dhrumil-rawbin

Planes, trains, tents and beds:

http://rsf-east-where2stay

Register online and pick up your wristband at willcall:

http://rsf-east-tix

Call in on Thursdays at 8pm for Q&A about Raw Spirit Festival. What do YOU wanna know? dial 712-580-7706, press 2, wait for prompt and then enter the access code 1150380 then press #

Volunteer a few hours and get in free:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=61764922089&topic=9395

and Capital City Raw(ning) is our local connection:

http://capitalcityraw.ning.com/

I'd like to mention that I've been to 2 Raw Spirit Festivals, one Raw Yoga Expo, and one Raw Union. I've had a great time at all of them, but I liked RSF best. There's too much to see, much more to do, plenty to taste, lots to buy. There are awesome people to meet and smiles everywhere. I like that, for a day or two, I don't have to explain that I'm raw. It's an amazing experience to meet with so many like-minded people, all looking for a way to become healthier, happier, and more comfortable in their body.

...and if you got to the bottom of my longwinded reply, I thank you for taking the time. I hope to see you at Raw Spirit East.

I will be there, and I'm checking my crutches at the gate.

-Rawbin

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Thank you for the information, Rawbin.

• You're very welcome. I hope you call in on Thursdays. You could pepper us with all kinds of questions and then post our responses on here?

That was a little strange and dramatic.

• RAWBIN3

Thanks for taking the time to post this information. I've had trouble finding specific information pertaining to the DC RSF, too! None of the rsf-east links are working for me today, though. I hope you are able to post updates here this month (I know you must be terribly busy)! Thanks again!