Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Am I doing ok?

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I'm still new to raw, and I am transitioning slowly. I am still eating some cooked foods, like my porridge and the edamame beans and soy yogurt. I was just wondering if I was on the right track. Could anyone tell me if what I ate today was ok?

5:20-6:20am running (about 10km). I are nothing before my run

7:10am 1 scoop VEGA powder with 12 strawberries, 1 slice of pineapple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 mango, 1/4 cup (measured dry) of buckwheat porridge with 50g of chia

seeds

10:30am 3/4 cup of soy yogurt with 3 strawberries

12:40pm large salad with mixed greens, 1 mango, 1/4 avocado, 1 tomato, 1/2 yellow pepper, cabbage, 1 small zucchini, 1/4 cucumber, 1/2 cup edamame beans

with the juice of 1 lime & 1/2 lemon

4 strawberries

4:15pm 2 large apples

6:15pm 2 large apples (I was STARVING!, but I wasn't home)

8:30pm 1/2 small cantaloupe with a puree of strawberries and pineapple that I poured in the centre of the cantaloupe

Salad with 1 orange pepper, 1 tomato, a few pieces of zucchini and mango, parsley, carrot, 1 orange & the juice of 1 lime

3/4 cup mixed walnuts/almonds with 1 Tbsp cacao powder and 1 banana that I put in the food processor for my dessert (it was actually really good!)

Is that too much? I was still somewhat hungry after that, but it was manageable and I could deal with it. I mean I wasn't full but not starving either. Am I eating too much or not enough of something?

Comments

• AVL- Your stomach will get used to the transition. I feel like my stomach has changed since going raw. Now I can get full from just fruits and veggies as before I needed bread and rice to sustain. When I first started the diet, I was hungry ALL the time and no matter how much fruits and salads I ate, I got hunger pains and nausea. I eat a ton of fruit and veggies and also throw in an avocado here and there. But I do eat a TON! I honestly think you could eat more fruits and still lose weight :)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I don't think that I need to add any more fats in my diet, I think that I have plenty already. I try not to eat too much of them, but right now I'm at the point where I'm doing pretty well with having eliminated starches (like bread, rice, pasta) , so I still need some fats to keep me sane. Eventually I would love to follow the 80/10/10 plan. I have the book at home and I really like the menus at the end of the book. I just don't think that I am ready to give up the fats for now. I love fruit so it's not a problem to eat a lot of it. Also, I have an eating disorder so it's kind of scary for me to eat that much. I get very anxious when I eat higher caloric fruits, like avocadoes, pineapple, mangoes and bananas, eventhough I know that they are good for me. But I know that I need them and that I can't live off low caloric foods, like berries and vegetables.

• In a nutshell, soy has the following problems: it has enzyme inhibitors, it is phytoestrogens which messes with our hormones, it disrupts our thyroid funtion, it blocks some important minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc. In general, not good to eat. The article that joannabanana (oops!) linked is excellent and a must read!

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

AVL I dont totally believe in rules and I especially do not belive in starving. When your hungry eat. I do not thing you are eating too much, if you are felling hungry add some more fats. As you start to transition to 100% raw you will find you start eating less and less. When I first went raw I used to eat alot. I ate very heavily on a SAD diet. When I transitioned to raw I was still eating alot as I stayed raw I found myself eating less and less. Now I cannot belive how little I eat as compared to when I was SAD. I do not belive in a specific way to eat, you body will tell you. As far as transitioning my advice would be to stay vegan when not raw and stay away from soy. I am not much of a fan of soy. As far as cooked/steamed veggies like edamame, as you eat raw you body should have enough enzymes to digest these veggies. Good luck!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I think you are doing very well, AVL!! I mean, are you enjoying your food? That's important. I also try not to let myself get hungry because then I eat more when I finally do have food. Every few hours I eat so I stay energized and satisfied.

The cantaloupe idea sounds delicious. I will definitely have to try that.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I would go by how you feel. I see some things that would be problematic for me and/or I think are not ideal, but do what YOU want!! :)

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I highly recommend two sites.

The first one is to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR); the number of calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day.

The second is a site that will let you know what your intake is in calories, fat, etc. Not suggesting anyone get obsessive over keeping up with all that- Just use it for a few days, that will give you an idea of how you are doing. The free online version will do fine.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.fitday.com

I agree, if you are feeling good, then you are probably doing just fine! But if you are wondering if you should eat more, or are eating too much, the above will certainly help out in that regard.

:~)

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I just feel like I'm eating a lot, but it's not mindless eating because I am truly hungry when I eat something. I guess it will take some time for my body to get used to getting full of fruits and vegetables. I'm trying not too eat too much fat since I would like to lose a few pounds.

Also, I know a lot of people say that soy is bad for you. But I was wondering what was so bad about it?

• Hi! I think you need more fats in your diet. It shouldn't get in the way of losing weight at all. You will feel better too. Eat more germinated nuts earlier in the day and have a teaspoonful of coconut oil. Good luck!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

More fat? Feel better? Are you serious?

She had chia seeds, edamame, soy yogurt, 3/4 c. nuts, and avocado and was still hungry. Sounds like her body's signal that she probably needs more nutrients from fruit, not fat.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I agree, superfood 2. She does have plenty of fats so adding those won't be of much help.

I wanted to comment about the soy though. I stopped eating soy the day I read this article

http://www.healingcrow.com/soy/soy.html

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

Hi AVL, I'm no expert (and not 100% raw myself) but would say that if you're running 10k at the start of the day, you'll probably need to eat quite a bit to ensure you have enough calories to keep yourself going.

I have been running lots recently and after running 10k, I will end up grazing all day. If you are genuinely hungry then I woud say don't deprive yourself. :-)