Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Jicama

Hello :)

So a month or so ago at my vegan potluck a good friend brought this super tasty jicama salad - it was so good!

I ate three plates full and then I loved it so much she gave me the whole bowl to take home.

Anyway I asked my mom yesterday to pick up some jicama at the store at giant eagle - and how about it ended up costing 13.00!

I felt really bad about it because it was so expensive so now im looking for some super tasty recipe suggestions of what I could make with my lovely jicama.

For those of you who have never heard of jicama here is a link with a little bit about it -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jícama

Thanks so much!

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I know! At giant eagle they marked the jicama for 3.99 so we figured hey thats not bad. We didnt realize until we got out of the store that apparently it was 3.99 a pound, which they did not have marked so we were upset about that.

vegan2raw that sounds super tasty and raw joy that is so cool about the rice! I was thinking that like an un-stir fry type of thing might be super yummy for my mom and me to try, but im looking for something to make it taste more exotic. Any suggestions?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie
  • daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I like it cut into the size of those big home fries type of french fries and then tossed with a little olive oil, salt and chili powder. You can even squeeze a little lime on it, it's delicious like that. It's also good cubed and added to picco de gallo. It makes a super sweet juice too. The traditional Mexican way to eat it is cut in thick slices with orange juice and chili powder, you can buy it in Mexico from street vendors in plastic cups like that. I live in Texas where it's never more than a dollar a pound.

• pixxpixx Raw Master

Wow! That's rather mind blowing! I had never had one and noticed them this past weekend, so I got one. They were $1.78 each! but (I think) they were rather small (based on the weight yours must have been) ; I got the biggest one, and it was no more than 2 pounds. Was wondering what I would do with it, so thanks for posting this thread.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

everything at giant eagle is so damn expensive (esp. the cool exotic fruits). that's the main reason i've never had jicama.

• I pulse it in my food processor and make it a rice-like quality. (don't care for the taste of cauliflower "rice"). Then I do like an un-stir fry - add pea pods, thinly sliced red peppers, green onions, celery, maybe some grated carrots or mushrooms if you feel like it, possibly some broccoli. Add a little Namu Shoya or Tamari. Maybe a little grated up ginger root. mmmmm.

Just thought - although I've never done it, you could probably use the jicama rice in a Mexican type dish also. May have to try that this weekend.

mmmmm.

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

OMIGOSH I am so glad you posted this I have the best Jicama salad recipe and its super simple

3-4 cups cubed jicama

1 big english cucumber sliced into 1/2 moons

2 red bell peppers chopped into cube bite sized chunks

a couple green onions chopped up

a few mandarin oranges plus 1/2 to 1 whole cup orange juice (section the mandarins and just toss in no chopping neccessary)

put all together with the OJ and toss and top with chopped fresh cilantro or basil (cilantro is my fave but sometimes my hubby mixes the two and its amazing as well)

You could change it up with diff veggies and if you alter it to something amazing please post!

Namaste~