Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How do you make a pizza w/o a dehydrator?

So, I am going to a pizza party next weekend and everyone is making a unique pizza and bringing it. I, of course, would love to make a raw pizza, but I don't have a dehydrator and am hung-up on what to do about the crust. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, everyone!!

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

That sounds really yummy! And super easy too. All i have in my fridge right now are white mushrooms... i wonder if i could make teeny ones using those. hehe thanks for the ideas.

• I'm sure it would still be good with the small white ones... usually with those I make an "egg" type meal by blending sunflower seeds, avos, mustard seed, turmeric, sprinkled with paprika (there's a few "egg" recipes on this site) then I stuff the white mushroom caps with it and make sort of a deviled egg type dish.

• WOW!!! Amazingly helpful suggestions everyone! Thank you so much!! I'll take pictures of my final product and let everyone know how it turns out. I am so excited now! YAY!

• What a wonderful thread - saving this!

I am curious about this too - bumping this topic for you : )

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

well, you could buy crackers to use as crust. but i think i'd get more creative. how about using a vegeble peeler, sharp knife or mandoline to slice a zucchini into strips lengthwise. let them rest with a little salt on them to get rid of excess moisture. then you can put your toppings on the slice and then roll it up pinwheel style. You could start by spreading a layer of nut cheese (pine nut seasoned with basil would be great)on them and then adding the toppings you like such as olives, thin slices of red pepper, any that you like. You could use toothpicks to secure them or use skewers in some cool way to enhance presentation. Drizzle on a little olive oil and serve it with a tomato dipping sauce, and tell everyone they are pizza rolls! Actually, there is a recipe on here called Crazy Bread crackers or something similar. The batter would be excellent on the zucchini, you wouldn't need toppings, just a dipping sauce. I'll see if I can find the recipe for you.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Here it is, add a little basil and make sure to use red pepper, not green and you will have instant pizza flavor! http://www.goneraw.com/node/638 i think yours will be the hit of the party. I am going to have to make these tomorrow!

• I sometimes use large portbello mushroom caps as my crust for a mini pizza. You can make them like pizza bites and perhaps make a few different toppings.

thorne - i have been considering using large portebello mushroom caps. i bet they would be exactly like the SAD bagel bits that I used to eat ages ago. TASTY! I think a little trip to the grocery store is in order.

• They are very good =) I like to marinate the mushrooms to make them softer and give extra flavor. Putting different toppings is the fun part, there are so many options!

thorne - that sounds amazing! i think i will borrow your recipe for the fourth of july picnic i have at my grandparents house. They all love deviled eggs. Thanks :)

what exactly do you marinate them with? i have never marinated anything before and i want to try it out but i dont want to mess it up! also what kinds of toppings do you usually put on your pizza bagels?

• I lightly marinate the caps in oil, vinegar or lemon and some herbs like rosemary and thyme. I make a sauce (marinara or pesto), then sometimes a seed 'cheese', then on top I put thin strips of peppers & onions. Sometimes I put olives, basil or parsley. I don't tend to eat many nuts but any type of finely chopped nut on top would be good.

• Daniefon, did you end up making the "crazy bread"? I am curious to know how it came out.

• Daniefon...

One more question about the Zucchini. How long do you leave it resting with the salt? Thanks!! :)

I think you are right! These are going to be the hit of the party.

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

What about slices of a large jicama? I saw some at Whole Paycheck that were probably eight inches across at the widest part. That would be a good size for "pizza."

Suasoria thats an amazing idea! I have some jicama in my fridge right now and i bet that would make an amazing "crust"