Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is wine allowed on a raw foods diet?

Hi everyone,

I've read that wine is raw. Does anyone know if this is true?

I hope so- I have been drinking it occasionally (1x or 2x a month). It is a great option when socializing with friends, and it makes coffee easier to turn down!

Comments

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I guess it's supposed to be raw, but then again, I've heard of some companies adding extra sugar (which isn't raw) to wine to add sweetness. So it's probably the best option if you ARE going to drink alcohol of some sort, but it's not ideal. Try to drink water with it!

• I think it is fine - it just depends what sort of diet you are eating, as well as your particular level of tolerance. The cleaner you get, the less tolerance you will have for alcohol. Some people claim to feel somewhat intoxicated just smelling alcohol. I agree with superfood2 - it isn't ideal. I play music venues that serve hard liquor and beer and I bring green juice - I don't miss alcohol one bit, and I don't feel like I miss out socially. But if you enjoy it and it doesn't make you feel bad afterwards, sure, there are worse thing!

• grapefruit.fanaticgrapefruit.fanatic Raw Newbie

Thanks for the feedback! I agree that it's not ideal.

I'm getting married and my friends are throwing me a bachelorette party, so I might have a glass or two just for that occasion, then stay away from it. Thanks again- and the green juice sounds like a good idea!

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

My boyfriend and I go to a comedy club that has a two-item minimum per person. I hate to order something and not drink it like iced tea or a mixed drink, so I get a glass of wine sometimes and a salad, but I find myself really not enjoying wine much anymore (unless it's a good reisling) and the last time I was there, there was a piece of shrimp on my salad. Not sure I want to order anything again, save a plate of cucumber and celery.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I drink wine on occasion and really enjoy it. It's alcohol, sure, but as a raw foodist it's a nice way to very rarely 'fit in' with your peers without breaking your lifestyle rules......

It's not like I want to fit in all the time but every once in a while I find it comforting and I like how wine is so relaxing. It seems like everything in raw food gives me energy from green smoothies to bananas and wine just makes me feel relaxed and calm instead of totally ridiculously energetic.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Hi Troubles, I love the relaxing effects of wine too!! :-)

My husband just planted 12 grapevines that can withstand temps of -30F degrees. We won't have good wine grapes for another 3-5 years but one day we do hope to make our own wine from these vines. In the meantime we will need to practice with someone else's grapes to get the hang of making wine. It's a lot more difficult than brewing beer (which is another one of my husband's hobbies)....

Happy Friday! I'm looking forward to my organic Sangiovese tonight!

Cheers!

Joyce

Troubles,

I know what you mean about "fitting in"; more than anything I feel like if it is a relief for my friends who are trying to make plans with me. One thing I don't like about being raw is having others alter their plans because I can't eat or drink at such and such place. They feel bad if I just get a water....and so do I, watching everyone else eat and drink "forbidden" foods!

It would be so much easier if everyone else just went raw :-)

• Hi, I think I have said this before but just to mention that some wines are filtered using gelatine or a fish derived product called isinglass. There are vegan wines around, it just takes some researching, otherwise I think wine qualifies as a fermented product which is fine on a raw diet, right??? (here's hoping anyway!)

• On a someone's raw website or blog maybe, it showed her trip to a winery where she confirmed it was indeed raw as the temps did not go above 95 degrees. And yea, its fermented! lol.

Yea, it may not be ideal, but I enjoy my wine now and then. I look for organic and sulfite free now when available. Maybe one day I won't want it anymore, but right now I do.

And people who drink moderately outlive the teetotalers and the heavy drinkers..hehe

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Joyce! Good to see you! I've considered growing grapes but my limited space with sunlight is filled with other growing things so maybe some day I'll be able to but right now I'll just have to wait! My husband also brews beer! haha

Deb-I'm not a vegan so I don't look for vegan wine but I do like organic wine!

grapefruit-love the name, I'm crazy for grapefruits all winter long! Anyway, I went to a friends house last night who has changed her lifestyle after seeing what raw did for me and her parents also changed so I looked around at our meal as we ate and it was nearly all raw except for some cooked quinoa and I can't tell you what relief it was for me! It WOULD be easier if everyone was raw!

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Generally wine is raw, but many companies pasteurize their wine, it should say so on the bottle.

I do have to say though that I find your title unfitting though, we all live the way we do by choice, no one is pointing a gun to our head saying "eat raw", the only things that "aren't allowed" are the only things that you "don't allow" yourself, I don't drink alcohol because I don't want to not because I wish to enter the title of a "raw foodist" or whatever, I think its a change in perception that can make a huge difference in your success with a raw diet and also anything else in life, at least so it did for me..

Social part can be hard yes, but again, its my personal preference to live a healthy good life with a bit less social life, then to live a more socially active life but poisoning myself with bad food, with that said though, many people can balance raw food and social life very well, it all depends on personality and how much effort your willing to put in this subject.

Pirawna,

Thanks for the info about the winery, good to know.

Troubles, that's wonderful that you have inspired your friends and famliy to go raw! Good for you (and them!) and yes, grapefruit is like no other fruit for me.

Ras-saadon, yes, maybe my title wasn't the best, but everyone got the point. I just wanted to know whether or not wine was raw so that I could make an informed choice about what I put in my body and how it is made.

• It was clear to me you asking if wine was raw or not.

It's an enigma to me how some people just LOVE grapefruit! They taste like battery acid to me and I KEEP trying tthem, but I think at 41 years of age, I am not going to change and it may be they are not for me! I LOVE LOVE cilantro and am amazed how some people detest it and say it tastes like soap. lol.

• Pirawna-- I'm convinced that peoples' tastebuds perceive things very differently, just as we might see colors differently, or be attuned to some sounds more than others, etc. I'm one of those people that can't stand cilantro! But there are many things I eat that gross my friends or family out completely. For instance, my niece goes "green" (HA!) at the sight or taste of an avocado...and I can't get enough of them! So, who knows.... I guess it's one more way the Universe makes sure that we don't get bored with each other! :)

• I would drink wine. Wine has been around for thousands of years, and some diets depend on wine for health reasons.

• I dont drink wine at home just one glass sometimes when I go out and normally organic wine.

There are some brands here in Spain but I dont know if they export to US.

Anyway I just can drink one glass -sometimes i cant even finish the glass- Im more sensible to alcohol :)

• the59soundthe59sound Raw Newbie

Decide for yourself. I personally find it disgusting.

• Check out the link, it will tell you what you need to know. Pardon That Vine He is very flexible as far as the structure of the event. I recently came across while surfing the net. I am sure you too will find the site very helpful.