Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What foods do you miss?

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

I was just wondering what foods people miss since become raw/vegan?

For me:

-Sushi

-Bread (sometimes, but not as much anymore)

-Cliff Bars

Comments

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

Expresso

Bread

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I have had thoughts of foods, like steamed broccoli and baked sweet potatoes, but I don't think I miss them or that it's a craving. I think it's just a thought.

• Noodles. Noodles all the time.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I find that i dont really miss/crave anything - for me its like the social things i miss.

like going out with friends at 11pm for tacos or something like that.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

Popcorn!!!!!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I don't really crave very many cooked foods anymore. I guess the hardest things for me to give up were baked/mashed potatoes and hummus. I sitll eat hummus once a week and I'm trying to break myself of that.

• Burritos.

• vegan pad thai.

• Burritos and Peanut butter!

• I agree with Mikfizzle and Johanabanana. I was a hummus addict! and still eat it sometimes, if I am spending the night alone (it gives me crazy gas)

I miss the 2am tacos ( i live in Austin) but all in all if I want something not raw I'll have it. Just as a treat. I have VERY sensitive digestion ( which is why i eat raw) so i usually end up feeling pretty sick and bloated after, but occasionally it is worth it. Life is meant to be enjoyed! If all my great friends are hanging out and eating and i am starving, i'll eat something even if it is not raw. Having a great time and creating good memories is just as important part of holistic wellness as eating healthy. Be happy!

Sypita, I read in another of your posts about a new raw restaurant in Austin. I don't live there, I live in the Dallas area, but I go there frequently. I always go to the WF raw counter when I am there and Daily Juice, but don't know about anything else. Can you give me more info? I am happy eating stuff I make, but to have someone else make me raw stuff is a treat. There is a new place in Dallas, I haven't been there yet, but plan on going next week.

• cheese and bread...

you guys that miss hummus, have you made it raw? I think it tastes just like the cooked version. I use zucchini that I've peeled, grated and squeezed all of the water from, tahini, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper. Not an original recipe, I know many others make it similarly, but it tastes just like cooked hummus, AND, you could probably go out in public after eating it!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

There are certain things that I just can't find raw substitutes for... (well, good substitutes)

COOKIES

CAKE

BREAD - its definitely the texture (soft) for the above 3 things

POPCORN - sorry, but there's just no replacement!

POTATO CHIPS - Kale chips are just about the best replacement... nothing else gets crispy enough!

CHEESE

• Danifon....Daily Juice opened up a raw food cafe and it is spectacular! The Avacado Cesear, and Texicali Tacos are the bomb!!! It is on 45th and Duval in Hyde Park! Great chocolates too and food to grab and go in their cold case! Of course they offer the smoothies and juices as well. You can check it out on their website they have the full menu posted and pics. Love Love Love them!

P.S I have made Raw Hummus and as a self proclaimed Mediterranean hummus geek, it is sub par. It's runny, lacks flavor and consistency. Hummus needs chickpeas, bottom line. But the zucchini hummus has a place in my life too, i still like the real deal though. And eating cooked chickpeas is fine, so long as you take a good digestive enzyme along with them :)

Sypita-Woo hoo and thank you. I am going to have to find a reason to go to Austin asap!

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

I sometimes miss pad thai, coffee, and popcorn, though I wouldn't have rated these among my favorites when I still ate them. But really, I don't miss them very much.

For a great hummus that really, truly tastes like hummus (unlike those "zucchini hummus" recipes), try (what I remember of) Ofek's now-missing Real Hummus recipe:

1c chickpeas, soaked at least 12 hours and sprouted no more than 12 hours

1 c sesame seeds, soaked

juice of 2 lemons

1 date

garlic to taste (~1-3 cloves)

1c olive oil (I know, a lot, but worth it)

salt to taste (you'll want plenty)

measurements are before soaking. Blend all ingredients very well; I recommend doing the chickpeas and sesame seeds separately; otherwise, there's too much volume to process effectively. I put the chickpeas through my masticating juicer, and the sesame seeds and everything else in the Vitamix, then mix by hand in a bowl. Obviously feel free to add cumin or whatever else you like with your hummus.

For a "bready" bread, look for Gabriel Cousens' Sweet Sacred Challah recipe. It's not like white bread, but it's pretty close to a dense, whole grain bread--not a flatbread. I make it less sweet, and make it into bagels. And for a good (though very dense) chocolate cake, try this recipe: http://goneraw.com/node/2783

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

Oh ya I forgot to say that I really miss CHEESE!

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

bread

cheese

crackers

and some mashed potatoes!

pizza

LOL. i do love the raw diet.. all that, damn makes me sound like a SAD eater.

hey sypita I'm in austin too. My friend abby works at the Daily Juice in hyde park. small world. god they have great chocolate treats.

• It's been almost 8 years since I've had any meat, but I still get the gnarliest cravings for KFC.

A colleague recently asked me if that may be my body's way of telling me that it's craving the healthful protein in the chicken. I laughed and told her, "Heck, no! There's nothing healthy about KFC!"

I miss milk. Especially when I manage to chug through all the soymilk in the house (I eat a LOT of cereal), and all that's left is the regular bovine milk.

I miss eggs. And yogurt. Not that Yoplait crap, the really good, really creamy kind, like the Greek-style.

And I really miss cheese. Although I gotta tell ya, pizza without the cheese is a heck of a lot healthier! (Yes, I eat cooked - but I just LOVE some of the recipes y'all have on here!)

• A really good reason to go to Austin is to visit Austin Fire Department Station 2. The company on Engine 2 is fairly famous now - they've gone vegan! And they've got quite a following, too! Check out Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Diet (you can look it up athttp://www.theengine2diet.com/, and also just find them on YouTube). I totally wanted to head to Austin the last time I was out in that part of the country, but the nearest Texas city was El Paso, and Austin was like an entire day's drive away.

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

Bread is kinda hard on me and that's just about it, I also used to LOVE Ethiopian food, which is mainly a sort of bread and cooked veggies, potatoes and such, but aside from bread nothing really gets to me unless I'm very hungry, when I'm really hungry even meat can seem good again to me, but never to an extent I'll actually try some..

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

daniefon, i've made raw hummus with zucchini a few times (maybe 5) and every time it comes out watery. I add a lot of tahini already but don't want the sesame flavor overwhelming.

I grate and squeeze all of the water out first, that really helps. I don't use much tahini, in fact, much of the time I just use sesame seeds. I can get it as thick as garbanzo bean hummus. i like it, but i know everyone has their own aesthetic!