Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

glass drinking straws!

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

I'm geeking out about something right now that is incredibly low-tech. So, I recently got a couple of glass drinking straws for smoothies and juices, and they are such a cool little accessory. I never have to buy another plastic straw!

(I'm immature at heart and love drinking my daily green juice through a straw. I also like avoiding the acid wear on my teeth from all the lemon I add to green juice.)

I'm wondering if anyone else uses glass drinking straws, or makes them, or whatever.

For what it's worth, I bought mine from a nifty little company called Glass Dharma (glassdharma.com) and it's been quite nice. I'm sure a search will show you there are plenty of other makers, too.

Most people seem to react, when they hear "glass straw", with a kind of reluctance, thinking that it's breakable...which it's not, really. You sure won't break it with your teeth, and I've dropped mine on the floor with no damage. The glass walls are thick. And they look cool. And now I want to learn to make them myself. (Take glass lab-supply tubing and a bunsen burner, and...er...mess around for a while until desired results achieved? OK, I'll leave it to the professionals...for now.) ^_^

Comments

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I have actually been thinking about glass straws. I use a plastic straw every morning with my juice - and i hate throwing the straws away but they get all gunky. The only glass straws i have seen though were in a pack of 4 for 30.00 and i cant see paying that much for straws.

• I've had my eye on these too. It's good to know that they are so sturdy.

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

they rock fyi- my friend gave me a set of 2 for my bday- theyre nice and fat so theyre awesome for smoothies. Put them on your christmas wishlist guys!

• I got a set of four smoothie straws from an online dealer- either Glass Dharma or Glass Paradise. I also got a set of four "straw cozies" which are little felt pouches to put the straws in so they can go in your bag. I love them! They are beautiful colors and I feel so much better drinking out of them than I did with a plastic straw. Well worth the price, I think. They're handmade too and very safe. And super fun!

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

I can't wait to get some of these!!!!!! I love straws, I have to use them often cause my lips are really sensitive to anything acidic. I've always hated plastic straws, so I will be getting some of these soon!

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Ooh, more things for me to go check out and possible purchase (lol, I have seen these in past but forgot about them so thanks for posting)

• Okay, call me silly but I use the metal ones from 7-11. My boys got them a while back with their Iron Man slurpee. I know, I know, why would I ever let them drink that? Ask my hubby. It's not often, but it does happen. It's pretty bad that I allow my kids to have something I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole!

Nicole

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I think I'd be a bit cautious about drinking from a metal straw from 7-11. My guess is that a straw that came with a slurpee would be made from the cheapest materials available. Have you checked to see what metals are in the straw?

• Nope. I use them at this point to avoid using tons of plastic ones because I drink out of one 3x a day. I'm sure there are better choices but this cheaper one will have to work for now:)

Nicole