Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Do you live with other people who eat raw?

LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

Everyone in my family besides me eats cooked. It's very tempting to eat cooked food because my house is always filled with the delicious aromas of my mom's cooking. I have only given in a few times and I always regretted it because it didn't taste as good as it smelled. I have never met anyone else who eats raw and I'm curious to know if you live with people who eat cooked or raw.

Comments

• I live at home with my "meat and potatoes" family. My dad cooks the most amazing Greek treats, and once in a while, if it happens to be vegan (he does, once in a while, with my favourites, make some wonderful vegan treats) I cave. And my Grandma dug up an old recipe for these molasses type koularakias (wonderful little, bready, greek cookies) that are totally vegan, thought of me, and made enough to feed an army. Its tough, but once I stopped thinking of animal products as food it became pretty easy to resist.

I totally understand the "it didn't taste as good as it smelled". or "it didn't taste as good as I remember". I had a sip of a Jones soda (berry lemonade - an old favourite) at my sister's HS grad party -- we got her picture on the front of a few flavours - it was adorable -- anyway, it was the most disgusting thing I have tasted in a long time - I can't believe I ever thought it was delicious - I used to drink three or four a week. blech. It was pure, blue, liquid sugar.

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I live alone.

I do make cooked food for other people at times, and I'm not tempted because of how it makes me feel, although I would prefer to know it tastes okay before giving it to them. :p

• My 14 and 16 year old son and daughter are RAW with me, but I cook and bake for my hubby and 2 other sons. It's so hard to stay away from bread, cookies and peanut butter! And I can't say "it didn't taste as good as it smelled". It tastes like deprivation to me even though I know all the reasons not to indulge. Sometimes I manage to stay RAW for 10 or so days at a time. Hopefully, over time those lapses will diminish.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

Nobody in my house is RAW. I only wish that my parents and sister would consider it!! I do eat some of their food though, but I don't get mad at myself for it. Today, I had corn because my mom made it for dinner. I haven't had cooked veggies in a week, but I was in the mood. I think my family has gotten used to my eating habits though- 10 bananas a day, huge-ass puke green smoothies, etc.

I don't know anyone around me that is RAW. Just you guys. Being RAW can be lonely if you let it, but I look at it as a true "getting-to-know-yourself" experience.

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

My brother is raw and my mom is also partly raw. I don't live with them anymore, since I've moved out and my brother lives in Montreal. My dad and 2 other siblings are not raw at all, so there is still crappy food around when I go visit them, so it's still tempting whenever I go for a visit. So at least I can say that I have a supportive family when it comes to my eating.

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

i've actually tried to get my parents and sister to eat raw things that I make, the only thing they've liked so far is raw brownies. It does feel kind of lonely sometimes when we go out to dinner as a family and i just get a salad or nothing at all. Also my extended family things that I'm strange for eating the way that I do, it's especially awkward when we have huge family gatherings and I'm the only one not eating.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I live with my mom and while she is not raw she is transistioning and is doing a great job! She now drinks soy milk and rarely eats cheese anymore. She still eats her cooked food but its way healthier than the SAD foods that we both used to eat. I am so proud of her. : )

However it would be cool to live with another raw foodie - it would make shopping and cooking way easier!

• I am the only raw person I've ever known, there aren't many vegans as it is in crawfordsville. I live in a "meat and potatoes" family too, so I know how that feels. I just went to my cousin's HS graduation and the only thing I could eat there was fruit, I felt a little left out. My cousins and aunts and uncles, well, mostly my aunts and my dad, just don't get it. They actually think the way I live is extremely unhealthy and that I should just give up and cave and eat stupid cake with stupid punch. My aunt said, "why will it matter if you get hit by a car whether or not you ate cake or you ate veggies, because I bet you'll think, 'I should have eaten that cake'." I said, well part of the reason I am RAW is because I want to live a long time, and always be happy, and never feel crappy. And always feel like I have the ability to do what I want, when I want, even when I am 80. And she told me that when my heart stops, it stops, and no amount of eating well can make it beat again. Wrongo. I don't plan on dying like that. I'll die when I damn well-please. She was being so cruel, i had to turn away and my mom watched me cry. I just wish my family could see the light at the end of the tunnel. If only they would look at the facts instead of passed-down-from-generation-to-generation information. bottomline, my family thinks Im going to either die, or be checked into a rehabilitation center by the time Im 20. Some family.

I totally get what your saying sweetteaaa. My family has the same sort of attitude, i'm almost embarrassed when i'm around them because they make me feel like such a weirdo for eating the way I do. They think it's "unhealthy for a growing girl to only eat fruit and veggies" and that I "don't eat enough substance" etc.

I also have never met anyone else who's raw.

LaEnsalada/sweetteaaa I totally understand where you are both coming from. It seems as if my family would rather have me be unhealthy and overweight and so unhappy that raw, healthy and full of life. Even though it does get really hard I just try to stay posative and educate my family to the best of my ability. I am the one bringing salads to every family gathering and often always carry fresh fruit on hand just in case. People often judge what they dont understand - and that upsets me when they think that I am eating unhealthy when they are putting chemical laden toxins into their bodies.

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

My family is very supportive and my mom and sisters have all done raw for a while. I have several raw friends which is amazing for support but I live with my husband who isn't raw but eats very healthy. I give him big salads alot and he likes to eat those so that's something! haha. I don't mind. My co-workers are the ones that make fun of me and badger me alot. Everyone else in my life is supportive and eats really healthy.

I recently started a green smoothie revolution and now I have nearly ten families hooked on green smoothies! Some of them are very 'meat and potato' types. So that's really exciting. hehe

• RawaholicRawaholic Raw Newbie

troublesjustabu... : Green smoothies are amazing aren't they? Last month I had a green smoothie for breakfast every single day for two weeks! THey can be incredibly addicting. Green juices are lovely as well.

Mikfizzle/LaEnsalada/sweetteaaa: It seems a lot of people today can't seem to just leave you be about your diet when you're happy and healthy. I guess a lot of times people feel threatened by concepts they don't understand, or don't WANT to understand.

I live with my mom, who is about 80% - 85% RAW on average, and my 15 year old brother, who is a vegan that occasionally eats milk and cheese (if it's organic) and eats mainly cooked foods with the occasional salad. I cook/bake a lot of stuff for my mom and brother but never get tempted to eat it anymore. I mean I love the smell of a lot of the stuff I make for them (cookies, cake, hummus, scrambled tofu, tortillas, spagetti, ect.) but it doesn't get my mouth salivating like it used to because I know that like you said LaEnsalada, it doesn't taste nearly as good as it smells.

It's hard being the only one in my family who is 100% RAW because my brother thinks I'm a food freak and my mom get's really critical of my food habits because she's afraid that without some cooked foods I will eventually become malnurished (sp?).

I do have to give my mom credit though that she does try to let me be in that respect. I just recently read the 80/10/10 diet and would LOVE to try it out but it is a definite no go with my mom so I will have to wait until I turn 18 this August. It's just so frustrating to be limited in ones quest for optimum health and to have others in and outside of your family looking at you like your an insane fanatic and watching as others destroy themselves through their nutritional and scientific ignorance, you know?. grrr . . . !

Sorry. I needed to vent. I'm going to stop myself now and just post this. This is a great thread by the way.

• Amen Rawaholic.

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

Well Its nice to see that there are many other people going through the same thigns as I do. I wish it would have been under different circumstances. I live with someone who could not be more SAD on his diet. He does however eat some raw things when I make them. My Family who I nolonger live with is very judgemental. Luckily I have been the black sheep for my entire life so their comments do not really bother me. I also am pretty quick witted and have a pretty sharp tounge so I usually give it to them right back and much worse. Aside from the fact that most of them are overweight and unhealthy while I am in good shape and have beautifull skin. It does urk me when they make comments pertaining to health and/or how my diet is unhealthy when they have no info to back it up.(they just know its no good) They believe everything they watch on tv because they are too lazy to pick up a book ever.

Also my friends haggle with me when we are out to dinner etc. I always get comments like "don't you ever cheat" or " can't you just cheat this one time". I have to explain to them that this is not a "diet" that I am on for a short period of time, this is a way of life. Most of the time I am not tempted to have SAD food. When I am hungry tough and I am with people eating a pizza and I'm sitting there with this not so good looking salad I kind of salivate, though I wont give into temptation.

I did start adding a few cooked vegan foods into my diet for ocations that I do go to parties or weddings or eat out with friends but that is not often.

I think the best weapon you have against ignorant people that want to judge you and make comment about your lifestyle is knowledge. Read as many books as you can about this lifestyle so that when people do come at you with their comments you can actually tell them factual info about how healthy this lifestyle really is and how unhealthy their lifestyle is.

ddigiacomo- i think that your right about the way to deal with ignorant people is to have lots of information. I have read a few books about raw food and it has helped a lot to back up my decision to eat raw with factual evidence.

thanks everyone for posting on this thread!

it really helps to know that a lot of people are in the same boat as me.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

My whole family (Mom, Dad, and brother) eat cooked food. They definitely eat more raw food now than they used to, thanks to my influence. ;)

I actually wrote an article recently about how to make your kitchen more conducive to eating raw. Since not everyone in your house eats raw, you can have a designated section of your kitchen that is "raw food only."

Here's a link to the article if your interested...

http://www.fitonraw.com/2009/06/is-your-kitchen-conducive-to-healthy-eating/

Good luck,

Swayze

• My husband is a VERY unhealthy SAD eater--and quite the seducer when it comes to getting me off my raw transition. It's very difficult to be raw with him around---and something I need to figure out how to overcome.

My whole family are SAD eaters, but my mom is very interested in what I'm doing. She's inspired to eat more raw foods and lose weight. I've gained support from her, and the rest of my family is pretty intrigued by it as well.

I'm glad that I'm wasn't living with my family when I first had an interest in raw food. They would force me to eat meat, cheese, etc!! I wonder what I would have done..probably just buy my own groceries like I do now. There was a point in my teenage years when I only ate Kosher food---and boy was that an issue. Yikes.

Good luck, everyone! We all struggle with staying or going raw. No one is alone here! :-)

swayze - that was a very interesting and well written article. thanks for posting it for us to read. : )

Thanks so much Mikfizzle! I'm glad you found it useful. :)

• sv3sv3 Raw Newbie

I live with my BF who is also a meat&potato lover. Although he's not that fussed by what I eat, he has picked up some good habits and now has a green smoothie with me for breakfast. I think he's seen how much better I look and feel eating this way.

I know how you feel ddigiacomo, my friends are the same whenever we go out for dinner. They roll their eyes when I dont order SAD meals/dessert and try to tease a reaction from me. I am starting to find it easier to handle but it can still be tough at times. They have also seen the change in me and realise I am really looking after my health.

• I live with my best friend. Our diets are completely opposite. She consumes tons on soda, pop tarts and cheetos. She probably eats one serving of fruits and veggies every other month, unless you count Skittles as a fruit. She is totally respectful of my early morning juicing and picky eating habits, she is such a good friend. Basically, I occupy the fringe and she has the cabinets for food. She does use the fringe for milk and soda though.

When I go home to see my parents, I bring my juicer. They are make fun of me but my family always makes jokes. I am glad that I live on my own now and can buy anything I want. If I had started eating raw foods in high school, I am sure my family would have been ok with it but it would have been more difficult. Being on my own is definitely easier.

"She probably eats one serving of fruits and veggies every other month, unless you count Skittles as a fruit."

Unfortunately, some people do. ;)

Swayze

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i live with my husband who is vegan. the dogs are vegan too but not the cats. :-)

My husband eats a lot of raw food but also eats some junky stuff that tempts me from time to time. but he loves my raw food so when we are home we enjoyed raw stuff together. then when we are out we can do our own thing.