Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Craving Salt

joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

I'm trying to eliminate salt from my diet and it's been really difficult. I started using kelp granules instead so I could ween myself off of the sea salt. It's just not working!!

I eat so much fruit and I figured that it would dampen my salt cravings, but it only makes me want it more. Are there any salty tasting veggies/greens that can help me with this?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Usually a craving is due to lack of mineral(s).

You are probably missing minerals that could be provided in sea salt. I'm not sure what kelp provides.

Green smoothies helped my sweet-tooth craving, and it will probably help for salt-craving.

Have you always had salt cravings or is this more recent news?

BTW, how are your allergies? This question may not apply, but I knew someone that ate lots of bananas (mineral: potassium) and developed allergies... so she added sea salt to her diet and her allergies went away. I'm guessing that helped balance the minerals.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

germin, i've had salt cravings ever since i stopped using it (last week). i didn't even think i'd be lacking minerals. that's interesting. my allergies are gone ever since i became raw, but i think i'll watch for when i crave salt and after what foods.

lulushka, good idea. i started using celery in my smoothies, but haven't put it in my salads yet.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

When i was getting myself off of salt i would mince up celery and put in in whatever i was eating. Or I would use other fresh herbs which now i love even more!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

hmm, I like having a small amount of sea salt in my diet. I enjoy the minerals and the flavor. I only use it when I make pates(VERY rare) but if I crave salt that's what I do and I don't have the craving for a long time. A craving sometimes means you really need something.

• I understood from the book of the boutenkos that when you grave something healthy you probably really need it so it's better to eat it. I like to it sea weed because its' salty taste. i like dulse and it helps me.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

macadamia, as long as that craving is not for donuts or something like that *hehe* But seriously... I agree with what you 'said'.

I have never tried dulse - i know it is a type of seaweed but what does it taste like? is it very expensive to purchase? thanks :)

• ras-saadonras-saadon Raw Newbie

joannabanana, spinach juice is also extremely salty, I find it even more saltier then celery, with the spinach I tried to drink it pure a few times but couldn't due to the salt tastes sticking in my mouth for hours.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

ras, i actually just had a spinach-banana smoothie for breakfast. it's so delicious and has a salty taste.

the only time i use salt is when i make guacamole. the kelp granules arent' the same. what do you guys add to yours? i usually do lemon juice, garlic, sea salt, and cumin.

i have tried dulse and it's interesting haha i'm not a big fan of seaweeds

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

My guac has avocado, tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, salt, cumin, garlic and sometimes I dash of cayenne!

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

I'm interested in why you'd want to eliminate salt altogether. A little Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt adds a lot of needed minerals.

• ambiguousambiguous Raw Newbie

Consider the fact that most mammals will travel miles to get to a salt lick . . . then do what you think is right. Chard is also pretty salty.

• miss soufflemiss souffle Raw Newbie

oh i loove guacamole. i was thinking of making some because its been awhile and adding avocardo, green bell pepper, lime juice, himalian salt , garlic and a herb!

hmph ive read a book on salt, a big book and its history and i've also read about people who dont actually think its nessercery.... i think if ur craving it then have some but kind of ween yourself off it and maybe the cravings will become less and less..

see personally im really confused on the whole salt/no salt issue.

ive read posts on here that suggest that all salts/peppers/herbs are toxic and should be elimnated. it ends up leaving me confused. are dried herbs not okay to consume? could someone possibly clarify this? thanks : )

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Mikfizzle, I can only tell you what I do, and am quite comfortable with. My first preference is always herbs picked fresh from my container herb garden. I also dry some of my own herbs. If I don't have what I need in the garden, I try to buy fresh organic. If all else fails, and I really want to use the flavor, I resort to store bought dried herbs . . . organic if available. For me, the big picture (fresh, organic when available, veggies and fruits) is much more important than worrying over minute details. Herbs are a tiny percentage of what I eat, so I don't get too up tight about them.

As for salt, I personally use very little. When I do, it's always Himalayan. But this has been an evolving process.

Please remember that most of what we say on here is based on personal experience, preference and opinion. I don't mean to diminish what anyone has said. I just think it's important to remember that very few of us are professionals . . . and even the professionals disagree. We offer comments. It is up to each reader to decide if the comments are relevant for him or her.

• I notice my craving for salt changes with my mood. Does anyone else notice this or know the reason why?

I just ate almost an entire bag of dulse in one sitting. I ended a seven year relationship a couple of days ago, so obviously I've been better. I have munched on dulse a bit before, but never an entire bag. is this really bad for me? I suppose it is better than chocolate cake or a bag of doritos, but it can't be good. Why is my body craving all this salt?

Also, I don't use salt in food. Celery usually tastes too salty for me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

just though that I would add i just read somewhere that if you dice celery really fine, then sprinkle with lemon juice and dehydrate it becomes hard and you can grind it into a powder. it sounds pretty cool and i would love to try it but alas i have no dehydrator