Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cool gadget... Mango Slicer Splitter

For all you gadgetty folks or those that are Mango slicing challenged... here is a cool gadget: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200354245922&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:US:1123. Remember to scroll down to the picture of what a mango looks like after using the slicer splitter.

This is almost as cool as the green bean slicer or pea podder or something discussed sometime back. lol What will they think up next? 80)

Comments

• Cool!

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

that does look neat - thanks for sharing!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

neat but i wish it peeled the mango for you too- thats what takes me a long time.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

wichten~ Check out http://homecooking.about.com/od/howtocookbasics/ss/cutmango_3.htm for a suggestion on an easy method to cube a mango (there are tons of other demos, simply search on "cutting mango"). One can do the same for sliced, simple omit the cross cut.

Mikfizzle~ My privilege. :)

Happy mangoing.

• I just got this slicer last week, it's so cool and practical.

I was somewhat skeptical but it really does the trick of not having to bother with the pit.

Totally recommend it!

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

thats so cool!

i always get really frustrated trying to cut mangos, their so slippery!

BTW... just in case anyone is wondering... I have no connection to the mango slicer. I simply was exploring something else and came across it, thought it was neat (I am a gadgety person and get a thrill from things that are unique or are elegant solutions to every day challenges) and thought to share with y'all on the off chance someone else might find it useful (or thrilling).

Happy mangoing.

jul4~ Does the slicer really clean the pit of mango meat or do you need to go back and slice lotsa meat off? (... since you are currently the site's Mango Slicer/Splitter expert. ;) )

Looking forward to your day (Jul4)?

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

i started cracking up when i saw this device!! i love mangoes but i purposely don't buy them because peeling and cutting them is a pain in the butt. my friend and i sometimes buy them and see who can peel and cut their mango the nicest. it doesn't work out for either of us haha

i showed this to my mom and she want to buy one because she loves mangos but always has the hardest time cutting and peeling them. so im happy because mangos are super tasty. yum!

http://lilearthmuffin.wordpress.com/

• I AM THE SAME WAY!! I so need to go get this today. I HATE slicing the mango!! Peeling is easy, but i always mess up with cutting the wrong way. UGH.

Thanks for the post!!

• pixxpixx Raw Master

I use a vegetable peeler, to peel them, and it works real well; quick and easy.

I had seen this mango slicer/splitter, and I wondered if it would work well. A while back, I had bought an avocado slicer and was soooo disappointed that it only worked well with perfectly sized ones-- I had figured this might be similar. Good to know that it works well!

• Yay. I just bought it at Target. haha.

• Yeah, as 'Aspire' said, there is usually very little meat left on the pit, mostly on the two ends and it can be cut off easily.

Just used it this morning and OMG! it's so easy to use and clean.

That's one good kitchen gadget to have :)))

• RawKarenRawKaren Raw Newbie

I NEED one of these. I saw it reviewed in a UK mag a few weeks back and forgot to investigate further. Bluedolfin thanks for raising. Have not seen much of you on here for a while. I always loved your threads and the way you write. *Sploosh* * splash* (cats cant swim).

• *WICHTEN* Use a spoon as you would on an avocado to peel the mango :)

• I have one and love it!

Bluedolfin, it kind of depends on the size of the mango/pit as to how much mango meat is left on the pit. It's usually not much, sometimes if you get smaller sized mango it might leave a little bit of flesh on the pit, but not much really. I just eat it right off before throwing the pit away, kind of like a little treat like I'm getting some extra as a bonus! :) After you use the slicer/pitter, you can take the two halves and score through the flesh down to (but not through) the skin/peel in north/south and then east/west cuts and, lastly, take your knife and then slice the length down horizontally along the edge where the flesh meets the peel and "viola!," you have diced mango. I think I paid about $15 for mine from Williams-Sonoma for the "Oxo" brand a couple of years ago, but it looks exactly like this one. I THINK Target actually sells this for around the same price as listed on this Ebay ad, too.

RawKaren~ A tail wag to you... :) Thank you for your generous shoutout. I'm around...kinda... sorta... depends on the tide... teehee

BTW, some cats do swim. Abyssinians are known for liking water... and of course, all cats can purr and nuzzle... oh, and I see swing around in hammocks too. weeee It's the play that counts, not necessarily how one plays. 80)

aspire & jul4~ Thankx for the posting how one of these thangs work. I can support the cook getting a bit of treat meat for doing the work. *juice dripping down the chin* ;0)

Lobo you lucky duck! Let me know how it works out for you!

• This is such an amazing gadget...I'm heading to Target tonight to see if they've got one in stock. You'd think in Miami, with it being mango season, I'd be able to find myself one of these! Thanks for the heads up!

• LaEnsaladaLaEnsalada Raw Newbie

i've also seen them at bed, bath and beyond for the same price.