Calories

Hi! I'm new to the raw foods diet and today was my first day on the diet. I started this diet because I'm trying to lose about 10-15 lbs. I read on a website that in order to lose weight you have to track your calories, just like any other diet. Is this true?

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Hi Jessica,

In the beginning, it is good to track your food intake to make sure that you are getting enough calories from sweet fruit and not consuming too much fat. Over-consumption isn't a problem for the majority. Even if you are eating a bit more than you should, this will resolve itself naturally as you become for accustomed to the diet and not longer experience cravings.

Good luck,

Swayze :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

If you were eating a Standard American Diet based on meat and dairy, and have switched to a raw vegan diet, I'd be surprised if you don't lose weight even if you are eating a lot of plant-based fats.

• Thanks for the feedback! I think that I will start keeping track of my calories with one of the online calories trackers. Eating too much fat is what scares me, but I think I have that under control. Before going on the raw foods diet I was a vegan, so I hope that I'm still able to lose some weight! Does anyone know what the typical weight lose is? Also, what do you do if you get insane cravings for cooked food? My whole family eats meat and obviously doesn't follow a raw diet.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

ahem. you're probably not going to like this answer, but you're not starting the diet for the right reasons. find people to spend time around who don't need you to look a certain way to treat you with the respect you deserve. then come back when you're willing to do whatever it takes to improve your health, regardless of what it does to your appearances, and you have people who are supportive of what you do, because they really like you for you.

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

Wow, zinfandel...that's not a very friendly way to treat someone who is trying to make positive changes in their life.

You make it sound like Jessica is obsessed with her weight, but she didn't come across that way to me in her post. She's just looking to release excess baggage, as many of us were in our early days of raw. There's nothing wrong with that.

• I'm really sorry if this message comes across as rude, but I just have to say it after reading Zinfandel's post. First off, I do not need you to tell me if I'm starting this diet for the right reasons. Why do my reasons for starting this diet have to match yours? They don't. I don't appreciate you saying that I'm not treated with respect and therefore I feel I need to lose weight! That is not the case at all. In the past, I've noticed that when I eat mostly raw fruits and vegetables throughout the day I have more energy. As swayze said, I'm making a positive change in my life, so take the insults somewhere else.

Thank you!