Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cheese craving?

AVLAVL Raw Newbie

So I was at my sister's graduation tonight and after the ceremony there was the reception with food. There were some fruits & veggies that I ate, but I went straight for the cheese, which I haven't eaten in months! I was so good that I kept eating more and more of it. I had to try all the different kids, on their own, mixed, on crackers and pita. Let me tell you that I ate cheese for an entire army! Well now I don't feel so hot, and my stomach is bloated and I have a lot of gas.

Why did I crave cheese so much? I mean I'm usually pretty good at controlling my cravings, but tonight, it was like I didn't even think twice about it, I went straight to it. Am I missing something in my diet that could lead me to such strong cravings? Or is it just a lack of self-control?

This afternoon, I was also craving non-raw foods, so was it just too many cravings in one day?

Comments

• As the saying goes "been there, done that." I could have written your post:-) Why? I don't know. I still haven't figured it out myself. After a couple days of not so good eating, I crawl back up on the wagon:-) All I can offer you is empathy. I know how you feel.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

You know, this is my theory on why we "fall off the wagon" so to speak. I think sometimes we feel that we are depriving ourselves on the raw food diet and the only way to enjoy food is to indulge in something cooked. We just look for that comfort in food because raw foods aren't as decadent and dare I say, sinful? At least, that's what I've noticed with myself.

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

You were hungry, cheese was the source of highest calories. You can't calorie restrict on a raw diet and be able to stay on it long term and be at peak health and happiness. It is the anti calorie restricting diet. In fact, it is the stuff your face diet. Much better to do that on fruit and greens than than cheese. The days of starvation diets are over. Any diet that isn't high fruit is a starvation diet.

• It's because the casomorphins in cheese are addicting! Dr Neal Barnard talks about it in this fascinating video. He says that after they put a bunch of people on a vegan diet for awhile and asked what they missed most, for most it was cheese! I can say I experienced something similar myself.

Chocolate, Cheese, Meat, and Sugar (Google Video)

• Girl, I have been there :-) Cheese is what i miss the most. I have binged on a whole block! even handfuls of shredded! I dont know why, but if you find out, let me in on your secret!!

• i do know when you eat junk/bad foods..you will crave more of the same

good luck

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

i used to be addicted to cheese - i would literally go through a couple blocks a week. i just went cold turkey and i havent really had any cravings for it since. we have all been there though just get back up on the wagon. good luck : )

• I can't keep my hands off unraw bread and unraw Hummus!

• wichtenwichten Raw Newbie

cheese is such a tough one to give up! i guess try making some raw cheeses or by yourself some vegan cheese for a bit maybe.

check out Carmella's blog on how to make nut cheese. She's got all kinds of photos on how to do it.

http://thesunnyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2008/04/not-cheeze-pleaze.html

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

Cheese is def. addictive there are naturally occuring animal hormones in all animal products not just the RGBH added crap. We saw with our oldest once she was having lots of food she would only eat cheese and since we were vegetarian at the time it ruled our meal until we went vegan and saw drastic improvments for her and us. I make a mac nut cream cheese that helps my cheese cravings you can put a little extra h2o and put over noodles or keep it thick and dip for veggies or whatever

I dont remember where it came from but it has been altered

1cup mac nuts (I dont soak them but u can if u like)

1-2 tbs chickpea miso

dash salt

1 tbs olive oil

lemon juice from 1 lemon

1-2 tbs nutritional yeast (I hardly use this anymore but found it very helpful when craving cheese since its close in flavor)

h20 as necessary make as thin or thick as you like

We have changed this up many times sometime adding a veggie (zuchinni bell pepper etc) and sometimes adding an herb basil is great or a little curry powder.

Good luck if your feeling sick try drinking a veg juice with ginger (the lack of fiber will help the cheese move along)

or take some probiotics.

Namaste

• AVLAVL Raw Newbie

You know it's weird because I really don't miss it when I'm not around it. Like I'm not going to buiy it for myself, but if it's around me, like at parties, then I want to eat it so much. I feel so bloated and my intestines feel so full (even if I've gone to the bathroom 3 times already). Not a nice feeling :(

vegan2raw, thank you for the recipe. I'll try to make it when I have time. It sounds really good :)

• SuasoriaSuasoria Raw Newbie

What Rawpreston said - dairy has a substance related to morphine. It gives us a warm fuzzy happy feeling, so we keep eating it.

I second the suggestion of a cheesy sauce - looooove Crisyn's Rich Cheddar Sauce http://goneraw.com/node/635

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I have had on and off cravings for cheese in the past too, also weird enough to wonder what was going(and while I agree with calorie idea that was NOT my issue). What I have watched out when I do give in to cravings is what sort of cheese I just MUST have, and what they all seem to have in common is being very salty. Leads me to question sodium imbalance causing cravings(OR get them when stressed and adrenals are off = salt or sugar cravings).

I do sometimes buy small pieces of raw milk cheese from farmers market, but that never gives me the same cravings to devour it all as the store bought stuff.