Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

you never forget how to ride a bike?

you never forget how to ride a bike?

really?

I need to know if anyone ACTUALLY knows if this saying is true. I haven't ridden a bike for 7 years. I REALLY want to get a bike & start riding for exercise. I know, I know.... "Why not just learn again???"

well truthfully i am a CHICKEN. im hella scared of falling down. its the whole balance thing. I mean, i can't even go on a escalator. [[i know thats weird]] haha

but anyways if anyone can let me know that would be great. :D

Comments

• I havent been on a bike since i was 15ish. I bought one in April, but was too scared to ride until last month. The first time i was on it my legs hurt so bad! Anyway, you dont forget, but you may need alittle practice! Im still alittle scared around turns (same as you, the whole falling) but each time i ride, i feel like im doing better. It def. doesnt go away, but you may need some time on to get your "skills" back!

• zinfandelzinfandel Raw Newbie

if you invest in a road bike you will just love it. there is a small learning curve to it compared to other bikes, but they are designed for speed and getting good exercise. i feel like my cells have been more oxygenated since i started biking vs. just running (aerobic vs anarobic). they're so beautiful- i just fell in love!

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

megan, bike riding doesn't feel like exercise to me. i love it! i go 2 hours and it feel like 30 mins. i fall a lot and it's always on the main road where everyone sees me, but i make sure to bring bandaids in my pocket. the first time i fell, i rode to a park and all the mothers there had baby wipees with them- thank heavens because that was a bleeder.

i have a road bike and it's a great ride. i used to have mountain bikes growing up but felt like something different instead. you just have to practice on it riding down your street and going slow. my main tip is to not take either hand off the handlebars. i went to answer my cell phone in my pocket and ended up flipping over the handlebars (i don't wear a helmet either so you should probably get one of those, too!!) haha

• Megan, relax. Let all of those emotions and fears just roll off of you. Why fear when you can be fearless? Accept that accidents happen and be prepared for the best day of your life. You will thank yourself later...

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I have heard that before too - i havent ridden a bike in i dont know how many years but just now i went and got my old bike out of the shed and took it for a spin around the block. I was a little wobbly at first but i got the hang of it. Go give it a try : )

• Yes, I believe it's true and comes back to you. I went for over 10 years not touching a bike and bought a mountain bike and started off roading. I haven't touched the bike again for another 8 years and I am very confident I can start again with no problem. You may be rusty at first but it all comes back.

Now skating, I have my doubts.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

skating - thats a good one!

I havent been skating since I was like nine years old and just the other day infact my friend asked me if I wanted to go. I had to work so I couldnt go but now im wondering if the rules to bikes could also apply to skates. hmmm...

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I just bought myself a new bike(Fuji Crosstown) this spring with my tax return $$. I had not been on a bike for 5 years at all (and then it was for 2 years after about 7 never riding). Your legs will take some reconditioning and I wouldn't tackle any huge hills(literally) when you first start out but otherwise it is easy to fall back into riding.

That said, thank goodness school is finally out because I NEED the time off to walk or ride my bike!!

• I used to live on roller skates when I was about 9 and 10 or so. Neighbors would ask if they were permanently attached to my feet.

Fast forward and I am about 32 years old. A friend had a party at a roller rink for their child. They talked me into renting some skates and I couldnt do it!! Maybe if the rink hadn't been so crowded I could have finally gotten it. I would like to get some inline skates, but I'm a-scared!

• peter57peter57 Raw Newbie
    The last time I was riding my bike was 23 years ago .but due to attempted suicide I was left deaf in right ear.iv new decided to ride a bike again but fell off the first time .then got back on and tried again this time was ok but a bit wobbly .do I need to build my confidence back up again
    ClaireT
  • phoebe17phoebe17 Raw Jr. Leader

I think mine has something to do with muscle memory. I learned how to ride a bike when I was five and it's been years since I've attempted to ride one but I know right now I can still manage to ride without falling. 

• pams5pams5 Raw Newbie
    I just got a bike for e xersize took it out once and was pretty wobbly and very nervous! Lol feeling like I have to force myself to do it again. When I hit loose gravel I almost lost it! Scary stuff! LMAO
    ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master
    pams5 said:
    I just got a bike for e xersize took it out once and was pretty wobbly and very nervous! Lol feeling like I have to force myself to do it again. When I hit loose gravel I almost lost it! Scary stuff! LMAO

Ha! I was the same way getting back on a bike. I'm still not 100% sure of my riding like I used to be. 

• Most people ask: Can you forget how to ride a bike? The answer is never. Riding a bike is deeply ingrained in each neural system. It means that Even without thoroughly restudying or thinking about it, your implicit memory helps you perform them.

• occm6 Deletedoccm6 Deleted Raw Newbie
    edited August 2023

Implicit Memory, specifically procedural memories, plays a significant role in our ability to recall and recreate learned actions and skills. Thus, you cannot forget how to ride a bike. Embedded in the depths of our long-term memory, this skill endures as a timeless mark of our experiences and learning. Like an ever-present companion, bike riding stands as a testament to the power of procedural memories in our lives.