Not craving greens?

SystemSystem Raw Newbie

??

Comments

• swayzeswayze Raw Newbie

No worries! I often don't crave greens at all, especially during the summer months. I'll usually eat lots of cucumber and tomatoes instead. Then, for about a week every month, I'll REALLY want greens and eat them like crazy for about a week.

At first, though, I did not eat greens for a while. They just were not appealing to me at all...unless they were smothered in fatty, salty dressing of course. ;)

Not eating greens should not be a problem calorie-wise, as they do not provide much in that arena (i.e. a head of lettuce is 35 calories). As long as you are getting the bulk of your calories from fruit and limiting your fat intake, you will do fine.

Good luck,

Swayze

• J AJ A

Try green smoothies. I rarely eat greens in salads, I currently avoid avocados and find salads boring without them so I just make green smoothies and enjoy my greens that way. I consume quite a lot of greens, 1-2 pounds a day.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

I had a similar problem when I was first starting out - i had no desire to consume any greens. I pretty much ate only fruit with a little bit of spinich here and there. However I find that my body is going through cycles and lately I have been graving greens like a monster! I cant seem to get enough! Just listen to your body and give it what it wants.

• I had to ease into greens too b/c they were really hard for me to digest (even in green smoothies). I started with green juice (Collards and/or Kale, parsley and/or cilantro, little bit of apple, ginger and lime) and now I can eat tons of them in green smoothies, soups, salads and as veggie wrappers

• J AJ A

Ashton, green smoothies taste just like you want them to taste :D

I have a friend who really likes the taste of greens. Unfortunately her husband and daughter don't so they thought all green smoothies taste horribly (because she has like 75 % greens and a bit of fruit plus water)... until I offered them some of mine; 50 oz fresh squeezed orange juice,

• J AJ A

BTW Ashton what did you eat pre-raw and what do you eat now?

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Ashton thanks for reading my blog! In ohio the farmers markets unfortunatly are not out and about yet - they usually make apperances in mid-july. Once we see them we buy most of our produce from them rather than the conventional grocery store.

• Hay ashton - I have a hard time with regular salad dressings, so I usually make one with coconut milk (baby thai meat + water blended, not canned) plus all fresh garlic, ginger, cilantro, basil, mint, lemon, salt and a little curry powder. Those all really help my digestion. Also been using avocado/tomato/cuke/lemon/coconut water kefir/salt/herbs lately with very good results. Supposedly raw greens have oxalic acid in them, which can be neutralized with lemon or lime juice (or orange), so I use a lot in my dressings/dips and make sure to add a little to green juice (which you can make with a blender & cheesecloth if no juicer) and it's really helped. Now I crave greens and actually get energy from them rather than a stomachache :) Good luck

• I have virtually no access to organic coconuts, =\.