Question on soaked lentils, beans, peas

Hey everyone, I was wondering if any of you all eat soaked lentils, beans, and/or peas. Do you add anything to them after you soak them to make them more palatable? Or do you like them the way they are? I was going to try and add some to my diet and see how i do and if I enjoy them. It just seems that they might not be that desirable to eat them without any other flavoring added to them. Thanks

Comments

• I dont like them at all.. or soaked grains either. To grainy and sandy in texture and still feels hard to digest for me…plus too much time and prep.

Good luck to you thoough!

• Hi I think it’s a good idea to try and eat some sprouted lentils. I found some called black beluga at whole foods and liked them a lot. Once sprouted they weren’t grainy at all. The carbs turn to sugar. I ate them with olive oil,garlic, red pepper and onion, lemon juice and pepper. I also ate mung beans this way.

It was a nice change for me plus they have vitamins that are hard to get other places. I couldn’t find any nutritional information on sprouts but they could be a way to get more protein- I’m just not sure what happens to it once they sprout. Lentils are a great source for folic acid so I hope the sprouts have a higher level of this too.

Beans are high in fiber too so it’s actually harder to get than you think. I haven’t tried it yet but sprouted black beans would be neat to make into black bean soup or bean dip- if you have cravings for that sort of thing.

Also try a small amount first they are pretty filling I think.

• The best nutritional info I have found on sprouts is in Steve Meyerowitz’s book on sprouts. (It also has details on how to sprout.) In general most of the nutrients are greatly increased when sprouted. Renee Loux has some good info in her book Living Cuisine, esp on sprouting mung beans. How to get them long and flat like you see in the stores, if you like those. And that book has great recipes as well. A company called Living Spoonfuls in Portland makes the best raw hummus with sprouted garbanzos I have ever eaten. New Seasons and Whole foods carry it if you are ever in the area. (Their crackers are equally amazing.)

I also enjoy a small amount of srouted beans as a garnish on raw creamy soups with a spicy basil oil.

• correction the company is livin’ spoonful. No g. And you can order their crackers on line (livinspoonful.com) but the hummus does not ship.

• Has anyone ever had sprouted beans go right through them? (not in an ethereal kind of way). I have prepared 2 bean dishes recently and the beans sprouted very well. When they had 1 inch tails I blended them up with the rest of the recipe ingredients. Both times I had pretty bad intestinal distress. I know that the sprouting process breaks down the phytates so the nutrients in the bean can be absorbed better but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other reason that sprouted beans are particularly difficult to digest. Thanks.

• Hi Linda when I ate the black beans that happened but not on any of the other beans. But then I ate other things that day and I’m not sure if it was because of something else. The other thing I was wondering was if the beans helped clean me out.