soaked sunflower seeds...

LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

morning guys :)

so yesterday i experimented with soaking raw sunflower seeds for the first time.

this morning when i woke up and checked on them there are these little papery covering things that appear to have come off of the seeds. what does this mean? do i have to pick all of them out before I eat the seeds, or can i eat them? I tried looking for some information on blackle but i didnt have any luck. Thanks!

Michal

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

I usually scoop off what's floating on top of the water. It's just the outer covering, and I don't think it will hurt you . . . at least it hasn't hurt me. Incidentally, your potted plants will LOVE the soak water. I always save it (along with the "floaties") and any rinse water for my favorite (or sickly) plants. They green up almost overnight. I do the same with any water used to soak or rinse foods. Seems a shame to just let it go down the drain.

• I always soak seeds/nuts/dried fruit in salt water (celtic/himalayan/REAL) They taste better, more oil comes out, less floaties and are much easier for me to digest this way (but that may just be me and my weak adrenals needing a lot of good salt...)

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

Can either of you tell me what the floaties are? Is the the shell? Do you guys pick them out by hand because I have quite a few of them in there and I dont know if I have the patience for that! Thanks :)

• I think the floating parts are just what's left of the outer shell.

( Random & Senseless Babbling )

One time I was eating raw sunflower seeds outside, and I dropped one onto a wet paper towel, I forgot it was there. When I came back it had a long hairy tail. Do they always come out like that?

Mikfizzle -- The shell of a sunflower seed is much harder and thicker than what you are seeing here. This is just the outer skin of the seed. If you were eating them raw (or roasted, for that matter) instead of soaking them first, you wouldn't even notice them. When I use soaked seeds without dehydrating them, I just leave the skins with the seeds and blend away. If I am dehydrating seeds to use as snacks, I usually try to remove those that float before dehydrating for aesthetic reasons.

Ashton J -- Yeap, if left moist long enough they will sprout (grow tails) . . . if they are raw.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

thanks emtpdmom for the advice : ) i was nervous about the floaties so i just left the seeds soaking. i think ill just throw those out and start a new batch today.

• KUDOS to you for saving the water and using it to water your plants - we're in a drought where I live and I am always looking for new ways to reuse and reduce & now I have one, thanks to you! Love & Light - Sara

Sara Tonin, we have recently been in a drought here as well. I used several other unorthodox but very workable ways to reduce / reuse water. I'll be happy to share if you'll email me. My addy is on my profile.